Opinions on Pentax

pahunter

Beginner
Apr 10, 2007
Hey guys, I am looking to put a new scope on my Remington 700 Sendero 25-06. Any suggestions for a quality scope. I did just recently pick up a new Pentax Gameseeker 4-12X40 with a ballistic plex. Do you think it would hold up to the pounding of the 25-06? Would it be a good choice to mount. Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated.

I'm sure the Pentax will hold up to the 'pounding' of the 25-06. In reality, that cartridge doesn't generate tremendous recoil, like, say, a 375H&H does. You really should be fine with that scope on your rifle. Keep us posted on how she performs, as I am a huge Pentax camera fan, but have never had much opportunity to handle their scopes, and would love to know more about them.

I had the opportunity to test one scope from each of Pentax's four lines last year (Gameseeker, Whitetail, Pioneer, Lightseeker). I mounted them on a 6.5-'06 (120 gr Nosler Solid Base loads)and a .280 Rem (160 gr Nosler AccuBond loads). Nothing broke.

I have used Pentax cameras since '68, and I have a K10D now. Pentax furnishes the glass for their scopes, and scope makers assemble them. The Gameseeker is the low-end glass and is made in China. The others are made by Burris (some in the Phillipines with the high-end Lightseeker made in the US). I was impressed with how well the scopes performed compared to their modest cost.

The Gameseeker I tested didn't have as much eye relief as the other scopes (all were 3-9X40).

jim

Back