Opinions.....Weatherby

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
I know some posters absolutely love Weatherby...

Accumark vs Weathermark

I'd like some real world opinion between these two.

Often times less is more.
This isn't about the dollar amount but rather...

Are the Accumark features worth it or is the Weathermark just as good or in some instances better?
Is really the gain just the fluted barrel?

I can read the promo material but I want some real world opinions on this.

Thx

The main attractor to the accumark is the heavier contoured barrel. Supposedly more accuracy potential. I 've handled both and they're both solid rigs; can't go wrong with either.
I've only ever shot the accumark in a 257 weatherby and it was accurate, alright. Then again, most weatherby rifles are.

There are multiple variations of the Accumark today. The bare bones vs the Weathermak gives you a stainless barrel (minus 338 Lapua) and #3 fluted barrel. I have one Accumark but the barrel has been replaced with a cut Mullerswork. Would I pony up today for an Accumark? Nope , not worth the price in my opinion. Depending on the price you can get on a Weathermark , is a better buy.

The Weathermark is a "base" Weatherby, if the term even exists anymore.
I suspect - based on past models - that the B&C stock on it might have aluminum only around the action screws, and not the full length aluminum. Their website doesn't say. Barrels are #1 or #2 contour unless you have a 338-378, which is a #3.
My personal favorite sub-model is the Weathermark LT.

The Accumark will have a full aluminum insert B&C stock and a #3 contour barrel. Yes, it's heavier.
I took mine in 7mm Wby on a cow elk hunt last year, and it shoots 146 Hammer Hunters very well.

257 Bee MKV Ultralight
6daQaFW.jpg

30-378 MKV KCR
hDPHqI2.jpg

6.5x300 mkv Accumark 2
dYqG7CR.jpg

240 MKV Backcountry
rCJ3t27.jpg

300 bee mkv Deluxe
1MKtvfF.jpg

338-378 Accumark 1
VLHa0wV.png

270 bee mkv terramark
2QtBKNV.jpg

378 mkv lazermark
0v160vr.jpg

7mm bee mkv euromark
beTlFQW.jpg

and some more....

You're correct about that. That said they do come with a premium action and a match grade barrel from criterion every single one of them which I like.
Not to mention they did offer Kriegers for short bit. The Mark V is a very stout action.

My Dad and Roy Weatherby were chums.
I remember he had every MarkV deluxe made in all the standard Weatherby calibers.
(I think it was just a Mark V back then) or you could get a Lazermark?.?.? He didn't care for the Lazermark saying it was too gaudy.
I also remember as a kid overhearing made in Germany..made in Japan convos he would have on the phone with a someone 🤷‍♂️

I've never personally owned anything Weatherby. I shot nearly all of them but never owned.

Anyways one final rifle I want which will complete my must have list is
The 30 Kong...

I've always wanted one and have it narrowed down to the Accumark or Weathermark

Well, the 300 Kong on a Mark V will have to be a custom job with a nice custom barrel. That said both should shoot great. My 30-378 KCR shoots as well if not better than some of my customs, and it is a sporter (a'la Weathermark). That leaves you to decide which chassis will work for you better.

(I think it was just a Mark V back then) or you could get a Lazermark?.?.? He didn't care for the Lazermark saying it was too gaudy.
My 460 was a 4 panel Lazermark , it’s a very nice stock. I took it off and put the action in a B&C stock.
IMG_0233.jpeg

Is that a removable muzzle brake? I've always wondered what that 460 would feel like with no brake
Yes it is. There is no way I would fire it from a bench with out it. Field position maybe. 378 Wby from the bench without a brake is about all one wants to receive.

Yes it is. There is no way I would fire it from a bench with out it. Field position maybe. 378 Wby from the bench without a brake is about all one wants to receive.
I'm not recoil shy and I'd like to try that S.O.B with no brake.
Just to feel the incredible power on a sporter platform

Obviously once would be enough 😏

I have performed load development for 460 WBY and for 416 WBY on a couple of occasions. Recoil was stout, but certainly manageable. I found some of the Lazzeroni cartridges to be sharper than the Weatherbys. There was a period when I worked with quite a number of these cartridges when gas and oil production were booming.

Back