Opinions.....Weatherby

I took my 2 biggest elk with it. A 5x6 and a 6x7. It wears a Nightforce 2.5x20 NX8
in4BZPM.jpg

sQHUWp5.jpg
I just want to know if you finally got the damn gopher at Bushwood.

I'm not recoil shy and I'd like to try that S.O.B with no brake.
Just to feel the incredible power on a sporter platform

Obviously once would be enough 😏
460 Wby fired from the bench without a brake might detach your retinas with a 500gr bullet north of 2700 fps. I would be worried about hardware failure like shearing off base screws or stock failure.
I overkilled the scope mounting on mine. A Ken Farrell G-Force base glued to the receiver top. Vortex Precision rings that are Red LocTited.
IMG_3325.jpeg
Rifle weighs in at 11.9 lbs empty. Hard to see the recoil screw in the base torqued into the receiver.

I had a Mark V Euro in 416 Wby. with the Accubrake. I shot it off the bench without the brake and the recoil was exhilarating. 😁

JD338
How many rounds fired? 😂
I have performed load development for 460 WBY and for 416 WBY on a couple of occasions. Recoil was stout, but certainly manageable. I found some of the Lazzeroni cartridges to be sharper than the Weatherbys. There was a period when I worked with quite a number of these cartridges when gas and oil production were booming.
And to think there is a fool in my mirror that shoots those 2 for recreation.

How many rounds fired? 😂

And to think there is a fool in my mirror that shoots those 2 for recreation.
Rick,
I shot 3 rounds w/o the brake. These were Speer 350 gr MagTips at 2980 fps.
I also shot 400 gr PT and noticed that the recoil wasn't quite as sharp.
With the Accubrake, it's just a pretty good shove.

JD338

Normally, load development would require twenty to thirty rounds depending on how carefully I researched the data. I focused on those rifles on the days I was working with them. Usually, I could have a load to offer to the client with one trip, and no more than two trips, to the range.

I offered with the 460 two loads that offered 1/2 MOA, and the client wanted more work done. What is fascinating about the client was that he was an elderly man (much like me now) who could only walk with crutches. He insisted that he wanted 1/4 MOA because the rifle was a Weatherby. When asked why he wanted such accuracy, he insisted that he wanted to go to Africa and hunt elephants. Conversations with Weatherby elicited laughter on their end when they were told what accuracy was observed in such a short effort. In addition to the two loads mentioned, there were two other loads that generated 3/4 to 1.0 MOA. The rifle was a shooter.

Normally, load development would require twenty to thirty rounds depending on how carefully I researched the data. I focused on those rifles on the days I was working with them. Usually, I could have a load to offer to the client with one trip, and no more than two trips, to the range.

I offered with the 460 two loads that offered 1/2 MOA, and the client wanted more work done. What is fascinating about the client was that he was an elderly man (much like me now) who could only walk with crutches. He insisted that he wanted 1/4 MOA because the rifle was a Weatherby. When asked why he wanted such accuracy, he insisted that he wanted to go to Africa and hunt elephants. Conversations with Weatherby elicited laughter on their end when they were told what accuracy was observed in such a short effort. In addition to the two loads mentioned, there were two other loads that generated 3/4 to 1.0 MOA. The rifle was a shooter.
I’ve found the 460 one the easiest to develop an accurate for. This is the only rifle that I put 3 in one hole , on 2 different occasions.

it is not fun. The 378 is far worse. Sharp!

416 Bee

dy80HJr.jpg

0m9qFEv.jpg

378 Bee

ZnsE8Xz.jpg

PSXuzV3.jpg
The pictures are fitting

So I have to ask...

Since all your other rifles are still sitting upright and proper for shooting....

Did you shoot the 460, just drop it right there and race to the ER?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nope it was staged for a picture
Certainly ye had to know I was joking

Laughing is good for the soul

That said what are the platform's or stocks?

I can only confirm one Weatherby that is 100 percent Weatherby. At least stock and platform. The 378 is a Lazermark...??

The others I can't identify

I’ve found the 460 one the easiest to develop an accurate for. This is the only rifle that I put 3 in one hole , on 2 different occasions.
That's great...
500 or plus grain bullets?

Yeah, when I mentioned to the client that elephants were usually shot at quite a close range, he was adamant that the load had to be a 0.25 MOA. Wondered if he would be throwing his crutches down if he was off by a quarter of an inch.

That's great...
500 or plus grain bullets?
This rifle likes 500gr TSX. I have a box loaded to each node I found in this barrel. One in the 2550’s and another 2690’s. I had bought them off of GB at $22/100 , dirt cheap.
IMG_0362.jpegIMG_1059.jpeg
The boy used my target to break his 7mm Rem Mag in.
IMG_0361.jpeg
These are the 4 bullets I worked with. Now I have some 404gr Hammers to try out yet.

Yes it's a five panel laser mark. The 460 is a classic Mark 1 and the 416 is a classic Mark II I have every single weatherby caliber out there and every single one of them is a different format from the other.

Back