Out of the ordinary XS7

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
A couple months ago I posted here that Marlin/Remington had discontinued their XS/XL series rifles. In the time since I had been shopping for one to add to my collection. I had primarily been looking for a 25-06 but didn't discount any others, it just depended on the deal I could get. Many dealers/sellers jacked their prices up once the word of discontinuation circulated so I bided my time.

Silly though it may sound to others, after being a cop for 25+ years I trust my gut instincts and thus far none I found had "felt right". Until yesterday.

I was in Cabela's and found several XL/XS's on their used gun rack but all still had the tags on them and appeared new. While doing so I found one that caught my eye: a .222 Remington. I knew that had never been a cataloged caliber so I did some inquiring on the net and found some posts of guys who located similar rifles in other states. One person replied to a post saying they thought the barrel had been rechambered, set back, and restamped. However, the other posters finding duplicate rifles in different stated told me this wasn't the case.

The rifles was priced at $249.99 but I asked the guy in the gun library if this was the best they would do. He checked the computer and said he would come down to $229. I would have given the $249 but this essentially paid the sales tax and I walked out later with the rifle for $250. The other rifles in the series I saw on the racks were all priced right and if I'd had the need, or knew someone who did, I'd have tried for a package deal. I suspect a dealer sold his remaining inventory to Cabela's and this would account for the new guns on the used gun racks.

I already have brass, dies, and bullets for the .222 so I didn't have to invest in those. Knowing that the .222 cartridge and the Marlin rifles both have a reputation for excellent accuracy, I have high hopes for this combination. I presume that a distributor somewhere had a special run made for them exclusively.

Needless to say, I was very happy. I had my rifle, in an unusual but viable caliber, at a great price, and my gut said it was the right move.

Ron

That is a steal! You did well. Those Marlins I shot were quite accurate. I love the cartridge. I was not aware they were chambered in this cartridge, however.

Man, that is a STEAL! I'd take that little bugger all week long! I really like the little 222 Remington. Love to have that rifle. Congrats on a great score. Please post some pictures once you get it set up.

There was nothing particularly attractive about the Marlin XLs or the XS7, other than that they would shoot. Pictures don't really do them justice; but they do shine when slinging lead. At least that was my experience with them.

The Triple Deuce is a really neat cartridge... I've messed with a couple that shot lights out.

It really doesn't get the praise it deserves here, but the Europeans seem fond of it. I passed up an Anschutz so chambered in likely the best deal I ever let slip through my fingers.

Back