Gun show his weekend

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
Gun show is in town this weekend so i went in and took a look around. Everyone is still pretty proud of what they have, might have been some decent prices on a couple but nothing i was interested in.
I was surprised on the old Sako's that were there, few 222 and a 222mag I've never seen that many in one place before also a couple 22-250 and 243s, couple with full length stocks. I was pretty impressed and do like Sakos but, all more than I was willing to spend.
There was a missed opportunity a guy had 4 stock blanks he was selling for $50 but by the time i got back around they were gone

I haven't been to a gun show in years. I might give one a try before much longer, but the last time I did go, it was something like $11 to get in and everyone there was a dealer. Walked out $11 poorer, extremely annoyed, and swearing it'd be a long time before I'd go to another one. Okay, well, I was swearing, anyway.

Last gun show I went to I was still living in Colorado, so maybe 2000? It was probably my least unpleasant experience at a show, but I still haven't been back in 2+ decades.

I went to one in New Braunfels TX a handful of years ago when I was down there visiting wife’s family. I was excited, it had been at least 25 years since I had been to one. Not a lot of gunshows in a 450 resident town in SE AK. I was very disappointed. Mostly AR’s, Chinese optics, folks selling solvent traps, handicrafts, and beef jerky.

And all this time I thought I was weird for not wanting to go to gun shows for the last decade or so. I have found some gems hiding in plain sight in the dim past, but such finds were becoming more and more rare.

I enjoy going and looking around once or twice a year, never looking for anything specific or expecting to find anything and about 1 in 5 times I will walk out with a new to me gun.
I did order a custom made holster for my Ruger single seven with the birdshead grip, and that was the main reason I went, I knew the maker would be there and bought one for my bearcat few years ago.

I went to one in New Braunfels TX a handful of years ago when I was down there visiting wife’s family. I was excited, it had been at least 25 years since I had been to one. Not a lot of gunshows in a 450 resident town in SE AK. I was very disappointed. Mostly AR’s, Chinese optics, folks selling solvent traps, handicrafts, and beef jerky.
And all of it over priced, including the jerky.

JD338

When I was a kid, they were common to have in things like Legion halls. $5 admission, and while there were a few dealers... Wait, now I just sound like some old fart.

How about this: I find yard and especially estate sales to be a great source of unusual finds. I never trust powder from them, but optics, rifles, bullets, tools - heck yeah! Another place I find works well are pawn shops, especially around major holidays. People come in needing fast cash and you can grab some good deals.

Went to two gun shows the last two Saturdays both within 80 miles of each other, here in WV. Seen some of the same sellers at each, some different. Think some of them travel the circuit. Most stuff overpriced. Some haven't seen in a while, but I like to look. $ 6.00 entry fee. Bought a Remington 700 SPS 260. If it doesn't shoot might make a good donner. Dan.

And piles of old military junk and piles of knives.
Gent was peddling Chinese tactical scopes. Had a table full of them. As he was extolling their virtues of being every bit as good as Nightforce, I picked one up to look through it and the reticle was canted 15-20 degrees. He wanted to argue and call me a liar, I just put it down a smiled. Came by later and that one was off the table😄

It's a 700SPS, had a set of Leupold rings and bases plus a Redfield scope. One of those made by Leupold or was. Anyhow paid 750.00 Little steep maybe but about one of the cheapest guns there as it is not a high dollar Remington. Dan.
Those probably have the 1 in 8 twist, should be able to shoot almost any bullet you want other than a few that require a quicker twist. The older ones were 1 in 9. Nice find.

I can't say I've ever been to a quote "gun show." Been to a few outdoor shows years ago that I paid to get in and of course had guns there, but never to a gun show. My private buys of guns have been at flea markets around here where you just park on the grounds and meander around, no fees. Usually have both outside and inside vendors. Everything of any interest to both man and woman shopping or just looking, is there. But in this area there's usually numerous tables of guys selling guns as well and I've got some good ones that way. The other way I buy is out of local papers and shoppers. Beyond that it's online which is my least favorite way to pick up a rifle.

Back