Partitions

No idea. Been using them for decades, front end is typically soft and expands very quickly.

Maybe I ought to put a chronograph inside the next animal I shoot with 'em... :mrgreen:

Have to admit, I've never managed to recover a Partition bullet from game! I need to shoot bigger game... Then I might recover one.

Regards, Guy

If you're thinking about using them go ahead and don't worry too much about when the expansion stops. It's not going any farther than the Partition. I've shot quite a few deer with 150 gr .284" partitions and 165 gr .308" partitions with great results. They worked just like other lead tipped bullets but always exited. They don't seem to drop them in their tracks as often as Ballistic Tips but the deer don't go too far either.
Billy

Don't forget about RPMs being much faster than forward speed so those act on a bullet quite a lot as well. I'd rather gamble on expansion at 1800 FPS WITH 250000 RPMS then the same bullet at 125000.

You also need to consider what the bullet is going through.
Shoulder blades vs. between ribs will effect expansion.

JD338

I killed a buck this year with a 140 Partition. MV 2870, impact velocity estimated at 1926. The bullet broke the right scapula, double lung, pulverized the offside shoulder knuckle.

I'm not too worried about deformation.

P

As long as the Partition is placed properly in the animal's vitals (lung/heart), and the animal expires quickly, history has pretty much shown that the bullet has usually expanded to approx. 1.5 times its original diameter and will retain approx. 60 % of its original weight, equaling consistent deformation and desired results.

If it hits solid bone (spine, hip, off-side shoulder other than thin section of scapula) after passing through vitals as it travels through an animal, I would imagine that "normal deformation" is not going to be the case anymore.

Guy Miner":1c2og9em said:
No idea. Been using them for decades, front end is typically soft and expands very quickly.

Maybe I ought to put a chronograph inside the next animal I shoot with 'em... :mrgreen:

Have to admit, I've never managed to recover a Partition bullet from game! I need to shoot bigger game... Then I might recover one.

Regards, Guy

Guy, you have the rifle, the time and the money---Alaska and Africa await you

slickrem---- I could tell that I agree with Scotty' response, but the truth is I am more in line with Guy's response-----not a clue.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but its about Partitions.

I remembered 20 years ago I was hunting hogs at a ranch and I used 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and as i was driving around, a pack of 600 -700 pound nilgai got up from their bedding ground inside a dried up pond surrounded by bamboo shoots and started running down the field. All but one huge bull stopped about 275 - 300 yards, turned around and faced the truck while the rest ran away into the trees. I remembered that the Nosler 140 Partitions shot the same POI as the 140 Ballistic Tips, and I knew there was one old Partition in the glove box that I had in there for a few years, lol. I quickly scrambled to get the Partition bullet out of the glove box and removed the magazine and dropped that 140 Partition inside the chambered and slammed it home, opened the door and threw a small bullbag on the hood and settled the 7 Sako M995 on it and settled the crosshairs on the bull, it was looking back and forth at the truck and at the treeline where all his fellow friends exited into, and I knew that he was going to make a gallop for the treeline any instant, I calibrated the elevation a quick 3 MOA and I settled the crosshairs at its chest about an inch right of the center of his chest to offset an 10 mph 45 degree wind and squeezed the trigger. The bullet exited the muzzle at 3275 fps and saw the bull drop instantly, I meant DRT, not one step. Upon gutting it, more than half of its heart was gone and everything forward of the diaphragm was red jelly, I searched and searched for that bullet and finally found it under the skin of the rear rump. The lead on the front half was all gone except the copper and the lower half was still intact. The bullet traveled from bow to stern and that is exceptional penetration. The Ballistic Tips would have blown up when it hits the chest with a shallow wound, its why I used the Partition, it did its job perfectly.

The bullet traveled from bow to stern and that is exceptional penetration.

So if it didn't, the animal wouldn't have been DRT? I doubt it.

The Ballistic Tips would have blown up.... have you found BT fragments in an animal?

When i hunted in the dark continent, i wanted a black wildebeest flat skin. I shot at one a little over 100 yards. Used a 180 Partition in a 300wsm. I head shot him so i wouldnt damage the hide. When we got to him we found out i had shot two. We didnt see the one that had come up the slope. The Partition went through the head of the first, through the head of the second and kept on going. I was impressed.
russ

slickrem":2nxtr5t2 said:

The Ballistic Tips would have blown up.... have you found BT fragments in an animal?

What is your experience with Partitions and Ballistic Tips Slickrem? Sounds like you have an awful lot of hunting with various bullets and cartridges.

TD284, that 140 Partition from a fast 7 is a good danged combo. Had my longest string of DRT's with my 7mm Rem Mag and old yellow box Partitions.

slickrem":i0ppqgv9 said:

The nilgai is a very tough animal, I would not use Ballistic Tips on them. I wonder how many tough animals you have shot with a Partition to doubt my claims? (y)

Yes, I have found many pieces of Ballistic Tips in animals, depends on the speed and range you used. The faster the bullet, the easier its to blow up a Ballistic Tip bullet. I would blow up lots of Ballistic Tips with my 7 STW and 7 Ultra Mag. Won't hold them together at 3450 to 3500 fps. It's why I used AccuBond and Nosler Partitions with it after many blow ups and wasting meat with the NBT.

slickrem":1bugzjpw said:
would you all go along with this?

After the bullet slows to about 1800 fps—inside the animal—deformation stops

Depends on the bullet. if it is a Barnes X or a Partition then yes it will not expand. If it is a Ballistic tip or power point or corelokt it will continue to expand.

So what does it mean when on the box of bullets 1800 fps minimum for velocity?

You have to make sure that the bullet strikes with a minimum of 1800 fps or more for proper expansion. Any less it might not expand.

Guy Miner":194ddnk3 said:
I have to admit, I've never managed to recover a Partition bullet from game! I need to shoot bigger game... Then I might recover one.

Regards, Guy
I have. My wife shot a small buck several years back and I stopped him before he topped a hill. Hit him between the shoulder blades and bullet stopped in his neck. Quite a shock to see it but it did it's job.

Back