Powder Loyalty

BigBlue

Beginner
Dec 18, 2004
I've noticed that I'm not alone in pretty much sticking to one brand of powder. For most all of my loading I've stayed with Hodgdon. I also like the fact that they print a very affordable manual every year. Updates can be a pain for most load manuals, especially the way new cartridges come out so fast nowadays. I probably use more Varget and H110 than any other powder.
Don

BB,
I'm currently burning mostly Alliant ...but when working with a new case or bullet I will load a Hodgdon and the appropriate RL-xx. ..to start.
Hope to take delivery on a new 338 Wildcat next week that has a case capacity of ~ 78 grains of H20. This puts it in between the 338-06 A-square and the 338 Win Mag. Ive been studying my Nos. #5 and crunching numbers with the "Load from a Disk" software. pLan on starting with some 180 BTs over Varget and RL-15. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes.

DLJ,
I plan to make a medium bore my next purchase. I've looked the available cartridges over, and the .338 Win Mag looks pretty good to me. In my opinion, it's probably one of the best all around N. American do it all cartridges.
Don

I seem to be brand loyal when it comes to rifle powders. In the last 2-3yrs I've come to prefer Hodgdon's "Extreme" line of powders, as they really do seem to be more tolerant of temp changes, so I generally try to use one of them if the burn rate will suit what I'm working with.

With pistol powders, I really don't have any preference, I just look for the burn rate that suits what I'm loading. Somehow though, it seems I always end up using some type of Alliant powder for smaller cartridges and H110 for magnums.

I tend to default to Hodgdon and use some Alliant. I have quite a bit of IMR around but only use it for existing loads. All new loads use seem to use Hodgdon. I also really like the temperature insensitivity of the Extreme line.

While I will admit leaning slightly toward one manufacturer, I do not particularly favor any one powder line. I use what works best for me in a specific application, regardless of the name on the container. At present I am using Accurate Arms, Alliant, Hodgdon, IMR, Nobel, Norma, Vihtavuori and Winchester. As soon as I can get my hands on some, I intend to try the Ramshot powders. [Recently became available here in Canada] Regards, Eagleye.

I started with IMR then expanded with some Alliant and now added some Hodgdon. But with the groups that H4831 is giving me with my 280 I will be looking at more Hodgdon in the future.

Long

I use equally Alliant, Hodgdon, IMR, Vihtavuori and Winchester. In short I use whatever works best for any given cartridge/rifle combination.

longwinters":3jnd0cve said:
I started with IMR then expanded with some Alliant and now added some Hodgdon. But with the groups that H4831 is giving me with my 280 I will be looking at more Hodgdon in the future.

Long

I currently use IMR for loads that were develpoed many years ago.
I have had good luck with Allient powders so I have used it in more recent years.
Also use some Hodgdon.

Long, what are you loading for your 280 Rem?

I have two great loads for my M700 Classic in 280 Rem.

1. 140 gr PT, BT, and AB
57.0 grs RL19
R-P Case
Fed GM210M
all three bullets shoot sub 1" @ 200 yds

2. 160 gr PT
54.0 grs IMR4831
R-P Case
Fed GM210M
best 3 shot group @ 100 yds is .400"

Regards,

JD338

JD,

I have several loads that have worked well (of course all should be worked up to safely). All shoot 1/2" @100yds out of my rifle.

1. Nosler Pt. 140 H4831 57gn. Win case Fed 210 primers OAL 3.33

2 Nosler AccuBond 140 Re-19 55gn. Win case Fed 210 primers OAL 3.33

3. A couple other loads with bullets of other manufacture that I won't mention here. :lol:

Next I will try some loads with the 150 gn Partitions.

Long

I seem to have favorite powders for specific calibers, but I use Alliant, Hodgdon, IMR, Accurate Arms, Winchester, and Vihtavuori.

Seedsntrees":1lyeiz5u said:
Didn't know of anything else out there to spend money on and burn up!

ALLIANT HAS WORKED FOR YEARS! :lol:
===============================

How many years? I have used IMR powders since 1953 and have always enjoyed excellent lot to lot consistancy. Back then they were called Dupont improved military rifle powders and the feds got after Dupont as a monopoly so they split off part of the operation and it was called Hercules. Hercules somehow changed it's name to Alliant and now imports some powder from who knows where.

I use some RL powders and they have been good for me.

I just loaded up some 219 Improved and used IMR 3031.

I am looking for a cleaner powder than Magpro for the 270 WSM with 140's. IMR 7828 might be too fast. I might try RL 25.

Be careful.

My father used nothing but IMR 3031 and 4064 for years. When I began reloading that is what I used. I still use IMR 80% of the time but also have WIN 748 and AA1680. For pistols, I will use IMR 700x for many years to come since I order a keg (12lbs IIRC) Three years ago.
Roger

Back