Product shortage

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
This is a huge mess and I am going to offer this on why there is no product.

First let me say has there been a ban passed yet? On anything, about anything? NOT YET.

With the effort of everyone there won't be either.

Having said that the word ban, new laws, regulations...put people in a frenzy. I can assure you that there is no intentional shortage by said manufacture. It is coming from the panic people put themselves in.
People are shopping for ammo that shoot once every other year. Why? Because someone told them there won't ever be any .22 lr ammo ever. Or the guy who hears there is a shortage on something so he runs out every chance to get it and creates an even bigger shortage. Someone who might use a pound of powder over the span of five years is in dire need of it. Right?

You folks all know someone I am talking about. Maybe even look in the mirror... :lol: :lol: :lol:

If the panic and frenzy stopped at three o' clock today, it would take atleast one year for the shelves to be stocked as they were prior to this craziness.

I wish some people would calm down a tick because putting yourself in dire emergency to get some products is only making this mess worse and lengthening it.

I have been saying that for 2 months! It is not going to happen anytime soon.

I don't know. With the way Colorado has been going, components are hard to find. Ridiculous? Yes. But, I haven't bought anything I don't need. I have bought ammo when I find something a buddy needs, but I'm not buying for the hell of it. I'm fairly well stocked for the next 3-5 years on my rifles and current builds, so I feel okay. Do I wish things were different. You bet.

I'm a member at a private shooting range. This shortage has kept my local range very quiet...except for a few. Kinda nice having the whole range to yourself...

McDAccountant":alhjmhnp said:
I'm a member at a private shooting range. This shortage has kept my local range very quiet...except for a few. Kinda nice having the whole range to yourself...

I've seen the same thing at the two indoor ranges I frequent in my town. I've also seen, what used to be a 30-45 minute wait at the huge public range near me, go to a 'no wait needed' almost every weekend.

The local store said they heard it will be 18 months before things get better. I sure hope that is not true. I keep looking for things I use but I am not buying to buy.

wisconsinteacher":3pf4uhu1 said:
The local store said they heard it will be 18 months before things get better. I sure hope that is not true. I keep looking for things I use but I am not buying to buy.

Yes it will be 18 months if the demand were to stay as is.

Notice I said if the frenzy stopped at 3:00 it would still take a year to catch back up.

The 18 months is factoring in bringing in more labor and machines if its deemed there will forever be a stronger demand like present day.

Regardless it is ridiculous that people are buying stuff just to buy stuff. People who shoot once a year stocking up like an invasion is happening tomorrow. I hate going into wal mart as I get the sensation that I just put on a filthy, dirty coat....but the other week I wandered back to the sporting goods section. This was at 10:30 p.m. In the span of 5 mins three people came back there asking the clerk if he had any .22's. These three people were not in the same party whatsoever. I would be willing to bet that they go through a brick of .22's or a box store value pack once a year or longer. Yet these people were in such a huffing and puffing mode...frenzied state to get some .22 long rifle.

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!

And the liberal gun grabbers laugh on.

I just returned from a 5000+ mile, 15 day vacation journey covering Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico. When/if I saw a gun shop (time allowed) I would stop in to look around. Trust me when I say each shop I visited (except one) had little to almost no inventory of ammo. Shop owners and clerks all said the same thing, "panic buying" in most cases. Only two shops had any .22 LR's with a max of two boxes per customer and at $9.00/box 50 count. (No, I didn't buy any).

What WAS interesting, reloading supplies were almost "ZERO" to non-existant in these shops save a few "off-size" bullets, way off powders and NO primers at all. Some did have brass in various sizes but in small quantities as well. (Only one had reloaading dies, presses, equipment, etc.)

All whom I talked with felt this "shortage" will indeed take some time to resolve itself UNLESS purchasers stop the "panic" themselves. I don't envision that happening any time soon either.

Yes, shooters are making the supply tight for... shooters! Ah well, this will pass.

Really doing pretty good here, except for .22 long rifle. That stuff is scarce as all get out.

A local gunshop owner tells us that he's actually gotten quite a bit MORE .22 this year than last, but that it sells so fast, he hardly ever has any in stock, on the shelf.

.223/5.56 is another area where a guy can't be too picky about brand or bullet weight. I've been impressed though that even it has been at least sporadically available.

If a fellow wants typical deer or elk hunting ammo though, there's plenty to be had. Reloading components too.

Guy

Stopped at the local gun store today to pick up a rocket kit for scouts and I couldn't believe how many people were in there looking at or buying guns or ammo. It was pretty slim pickings on all ammo and they usually have a good supply. I asked what primers and powder were going for and they said $75 for 1000 primer and $50 for a pound of powder!!! That's crazy. Won't be buying from them anytime soon. For that price if you can find it online and pay the hazmat shipping you can get it cheaper then that. I agree I almost feel bad the guy that goes out next fall and trys to buy a box of shells for hunting season. They will be out of luck. I am glad I keep a good supply of reloading components on hand.

People are having to modify their own shooting routines because they just can't go back out and replace what they used up.

The hunter who doesn't take note of all of this might be in for a horrible surprise come fall.

I'm not suggesting that if you need something don't do looking for it, but I just wish people...especially the people who REALLY DON'T need it to slow down from buying like its the last gallon of milk in the state.

More rant on this......

before any frenzy started the majority of these people walk right on by all that stuff on the shelves and could have cared less if they had .22's.

Nobody cared. It was there so in the event they ran out of .22 11 months from now, they can stop back in and get a box. NOT NOW...because of the same folk...some of which now have enough .22 ammo for three lifetimes.

I bought enough primers and powder to keep me shooting for a year. When I hit that supply level, I quit looking for anything. I normally keep about 6-9 months supply of primers and powder on hand anyhow. So basically I bought some sale bullets, a couple pounds of powder and 400 SP primers and I am set.

Oldtrader3":2ygzwfni said:
I bought enough primers and powder to keep me shooting for a year. When I hit that supply level, I quit looking for anything. I normally keep about 6-9 months supply of primers and powder on hand anyhow. So basically I bought some sale bullets, a couple pounds of powder and 400 SP primers and I am set.

I'm with Oldtrader3, but I have far more than a years worth of "supply". With that, I also haven't bought powder or primers for about 3 years now since my shooting times/gun buying has significantly decreased since retiring from the AF and losing a great shooting range. I have bought a few bags of 2nds from SPS when certain ones become available.

Me also, I buy from SPS or from MidwayUSA in order to keep BT's, AB's and PT's in stock for all six of my bolt action centerfires at all times.

Back