rangefinder?

swampbuck

Beginner
Aug 16, 2007
I was looking for some opinions on a rangefinder.
I will not be shooting past 500 yards and it will be for ranging whitetail.
I know that the swaro and the leica will range well past that, but I really only need a maximum range of 600 for deer size game. are there any recomendations of some lower cost rangefinders Bushnell, leupold, nikon ect. Will any of those actually range out to 600yds on deer size game or are the swaro and leica the only real options.

THanks

I have the swaro. I love it!!!! I have ranged antelope to 1250 yards.

I am leaning towards that swaro unless I know the other brands will realistically range deer to 600yds. I had heard mixed opinions on whether the bushnell 1500 and leupold RX IV will actually do that. If they did, then I would be satisfied.

They will all do that but conditions must be perfect. I went through 3 before I got swaro......

POP,
How do you think the swaro's would do for ranging inside of 50yds for bowhunting. I have heard the target circle is a little large

swampbuck

The Swaro Laser Guide is the way to go. I use mine for bow hunting and well as rifle hunting and shooting.
I shot this buck at 31 yds while he was in his scrape.
8PtBow110108b.jpg

I had an exact reference point in my bow scope for 31 yds because I knew the distance to the scrapes and shot this exact distance in my backyard.

Yes, you are going to spend more money up front but it will be the last range finder you ever have to buy.

JD338

I love the new leica that I have. It is quick, easy to use, accurate! The swaro is a great unit as well, but I did not like the Leupold.
Hardpan

+1 for the Leica got one and love it. Swaros are just as good if not better just out of my price range last year.

As much as I like Leupold rifle scopes I would stay away from their range finders.

I have the Leica CRF 1200 and love it,works great.Leica also has a CRF 900 that is $100 or so cheaper.They will work at the ranges they are designed for with ease.

Well,
I broke down and got the Leica CRF 1200. Got a great deal at 548.98 brand new in box to my door with a 10% off ebay coupon. Couldnt turn that deal down. Cant wait to get it. Could Have gotten the swaro for 774.00 to my door, but I liked the compactness of the Leica, plus the diff in cost. Ill never need it to range over 600 yds as far as shooting at game.
They have 4 left at that price. 609.00 before coupon.

I've had the Leica 800 for 3 years and still works perfect. I have the none scan model. I don't go anywhere without it.

Just a note on my experiences. My bushnell compact 800 has served me well for several years...UNTILLLL I got to Wyoming. I found that 350 yds was max for a broadside antelope. Without trees or rocks or structure I couldn't get a reading beyond that. The big antelope bucks were always beyond that! I guess I got the answer to my problem now. This is a great forum!!!
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

I have the LRF1200 from Leica and it will do everything you are asking a rangefinder to do. Terrific rangefinder. I have heard great things about the Swaro as well.

I ran a Bushnell Compact 800 for years and then got frustrated trying to range broadside elk at 400+ yards. NO PROBLEM with the Leica.

Firehawk

swampbuck

Congratulations on your Leica. You got a good deal for sure.

JD338

I am now using the Leica CRF 1200, and this fall I ranged deer out to 650 yards directly. (I didn't go further because I didn't see any animals further out.) You could get their 900 for a cheaper price. I like the unit's package, it fits in my shirt pocket, and the small strap goes around your neck so it doesn't get lost. Operation is with one hand.

Doug at Camera Land has a sale on them just now for $430.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site ... eicacrf900

He is a straight up guy and you can buy from him with confidence (I have for several years)...jim

i have a 100 yd luepold that i really like, but my coyote hunting buddy has a leica 1200 and it puts mine to shame, he didnt like his swaro so he got rid of it for the leica and i see why.

I sold the Bushnel 800 compact and bought the Leica CRF 1200. I had them both for a few days so I compared them. There is no comparison!! Not in ranging or size and the illuminated readout is priceless at early dawn or dusk. I would recommend it to anyone who hunts the big country and doesn't want to waste a lot more money working their way up to what they really needed in the first place.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Back