Reccomended Seating Depth For Accubonds

QuietHunter

Beginner
Oct 14, 2004
Some bullets have a distance to the lands that just makes them perform well. Some seem to work best when touching or even a little into the lands.

What has your experience been with Accubonds? I have some of the 110 AB's for my 25-06 and want to get a feel for what others have found successful for them.

Thanks,

QuietHunter

well typically you willl just have to find the "sweet spot" that the bullet likes as every rifle is different-but i have found in quite few rifles that .015 off works well-dave

It really does depend on your specific rifle's chamber and also what the magazine length will allow.

Long

What I am really looking for is recomended distance off the lands. I have a couple custom barrels with shorter throats that allow me to adjust seating depth without magazine length being an issue. I also have a 300 SAUM with factory barrell that will have freebore as long as I want anything to be in the magazine.

Barnes says "X-Bullets are seated .030" - .070" off the lands (the grooves or rifling in a barrel). The majority of the time, we've seen optimum accuracy when bullets are seated .050" off the lands, so start there. Then move backward or forward in .050" - .010" increments to find the "sweet spot" for your particular rifle. " for their bullets.

With Sierra's SMK and GK I have had best luck trying to get them touching or sometimes into the lands.

I have had best luck on Groovebullets seating them at .030" off the lands.

I had hoped I could get a few samples of what worked best for others on Accubonds to see if a pattern developed.

just seat them .025 shorter than mag length and see how they shoot-if they dont shoot well,just try a couple different powders.in one rifle i worked on they are way off the lands[.120]and they shoot shoot great.-my-2-dave

We have in our manual to back off .015-.030 less than your rifle seating depth. Like already stated, your rifle will have that "sweet" spot.

Lighter bullets may need to be seated further from the rifling.

Make sure whatever your seating depth is, that it functions properly in your magazine.

Thanks Nosler. That is what I was looking to find out. I put together some loads at .015". Now I just need to find the time with all the holidays to go shoot them!

Back