Reloading, Ammunition shortage a scam?

Gander Mountain in Hattiesburg MS is higher than anyone around here. I do not buy my reloading supplies from them because they are high. If you count the gas I burn to go 55 miles to Hattiesburg and their prices I save money ordering on line from Midway, Grafs & sons and Natchez. Before I found that box of 338Win Mag ammo in my shooting room, I call Gander Mountain and they wanted 79.00 for a box of Federal 338Win mag. That is more than I pay for Weatherby ammo for my 300Wby if I buy factory ammo.

No he is not trolling, at least regarding the GM issue. I have followed the GM saga for many yrs as I once was a fan.

A little history from what I know about GM:

Back in the 70's and maybe into the 80's, once a mail order reloading outfit with a showroom. Based out of Wilmot WI I believe. Some of you may remember the catalogs.

Cabelas bought out the mail order aspect of the business and they opened up a few more stores, primarily in the WI area.

During the 90's, opened a few more retail stores in the MN area and subsequently buying out the Holiday Sports stores (from the Holiday gas stations) & Burger Brothers store located primarily in the MSP/STP area.

Late 90s, saw an ambitious growth plan that expanded to quite a few states to where you see them today.

Backing up a bit. I was a customer of both Holiday sports and Burger Bros in the Twins Cities area, GM bought em out and brought in what I call the corporate beancounter/purchasing philosphy. Which to me is, not giving a rats patootie about what the customer wants, but rather purchase the product lines from the mass producers and only carry their lines. THe fisrt example to see in this practice was fishing lures. Burger Bros once had a good wide selection of what you needed in MN to fish. GM came in and of say the 4-5 shelves of everything possible, you now had 3 shelfs of Rapala products and 1 of everything else. To me, this eventually became the practicve of the store regarding all their lines.

Fast foward to about 2005, their reloading prices were generally on par with most, tho the selection was limited to say 80% RCBS & Speer products with some Nosler, Hornady & Sierra. All of a sudden, overnight the prices in some cases doubled. I inquired the guys I knew, they said "dunno, corporate pricing decision", those same guys even admitted the store prices were outrageous as the whole firearms dept started to lean that way. And you see it today... Simply outrageous pricing in comparsion to the competition a mile down the road regarding alot of firearms and especially reloading components.

As an FYI, I have shopped at Gander MTs in MN, WI, MI & ND and some had some great fishing depts such as the one in Grand Rapids.. And the one here in Fargo is pretty good too. Firearms?? I dont even go back there anymore other than a cursory look to see if anything is changed. Nope, box of 50ct 7mm 140 NBTs are still 22.95$.... :roll:

It boils down to some corporate pricing directive by some one out of touch with competitors pricing or they have another motive??????

The above statements are my opinions and based on my experiences and observations...

Rod

We've got a GM here in Huntsville, and the folks in the store are super nice. I drop in now and then, to see what's new. They don't really have good deals on guns much. Ammo is ridiculous - like Bullet said, I can buy factory Weatherby ammo cheaper online paying shipping than I can buy Federal ammo for mainstream calibers at GM, before tax. As for handloading supplies, the entire department is static. Nothing moves. Why? Because a box of Hornady Interbonds are $70, where I can buy them two miles away for $55 or order them online for $45. Nosler BT's are $25 for a box of 50. Accubonds are $38, Partitions are $50-55. Heck, even a simple box of Hornady Spire-Points is close to $40 for my .323cal 8x57. I can order those for about $27 online. Every now and then they run a clearance and you can get some stuff for about what it costs online, but it's rare.

Hey Richracer I thought forums like this were about FREE expression and speech to share information. Forum troll? Your condesending jabs are of no help to me. I am not sure what a "Troll" is? Im just trying to get ready for a western hunting trip with my brother and can't get the supplies necessary. Excuse my ignorance. Regarding my few post and your other drol comments, I am busy raising 4 kids, running a small business and time in my other interest is a luxury. Regarding your second post, I am on the Board of Directors for the Fallen and Wounded Soldiers fund of Michigan www.FWSF.org, so yes I know about our important war efforts.
I dont have a fancy eagle and 900 hundered post, but I am a respectful forum member. Member of the NRA, Loyal Nosler customer. My apologies to other forum members. In a forum of free idea's you don't have to comment to the stupid post of folks like me.

sonofagun

This forum is about free speech and we are all here to learn. The "Troll" comment should not have been made and I apologize for that comment being made.
I can appreciate just how precious time is these days with the demands of life we must endure.

GM is the worst place to go for reloading components, their prices and service are terrible. Send me a PM with a general area you are located in and I will do my best to point you in the right direction to get your components at competitive prices. There are a few Michiganders here and they may also offer some suggestions for you.

Where are you going out west and what are you hunting?

JD338

sonofagun":2xdahfqr said:
Hey Richracer I thought forums like this were about FREE expression and speech to share information. Forum troll? Your condesending jabs are of no help to me. I am not sure what a "Troll" is? Im just trying to get ready for a western hunting trip with my brother and can't get the supplies necessary. Excuse my ignorance. Regarding my few post and your other drol comments, I am busy raising 4 kids, running a small business and time in my other interest is a luxury. Regarding your second post, I am on the Board of Directors for the Fallen and Wounded Soldiers fund of Michigan www.FWSF.org, so yes I know about our important war efforts.
I dont have a fancy eagle and 900 hundered post, but I am a respectful forum member. Member of the NRA, Loyal Nosler customer. My apologies to other forum members. In a forum of free idea's you don't have to comment to the stupid post of folks like me.

Sonofagun, I would like to publicly apologize to you for some of my comments. I applaud you for your involvement with our Fallen and Wounded warriors. Your post was not stupid, and we hope you will continue to be a member of this forum and provide your inputs.

Thanks. Accepted and done. I should have cooled off before getting on the forum. You have my respect and appreciation.

Here in wisconsin gander mountain is so out there on the bullet prices that I stoped shopping there I go to sheelds GM wants $35 for 165g AB and
sheeelds wanted $24 for the same bullet and the less than a mile apart.
Gander Mountain sucks when it comes to there pricing.

Back