reloading nickel-plated case

erniec

Beginner
Jan 23, 2006
I am working up loads for my new .300 win mag and a friend has given me a bunch of nickel-plated cases.

What are the advantages or disadvantages to using the nickel instead of the brass?

I am trying to get me a load for and my first elk hunt this fall. So far I have only been shooting factory cheap ammo to break in the barrel.

Thank you,

Ernie

You will get a lot of pros/cons on this subject. Some people think it will ruin dies, trimmers, chamfer tools etc. but I have been loading it for years without a problem. As with regular brass, it needs to be clean before running it into a die. I tumble all my brass before loading. The only dies I have ever scratched were with regular brass that I had not cleaned.Rick.

Here is the deal with "nickle plated brass." That's it, it is nickle plated. After firing a couple times and resizing, (depending on how much you resize), the nickle plating can, (not will) flake off. If the flaking comes off during resizing, you will ruin your die. I learned this from RCBS directly. RCBS has replaced many dies due to damage caused by nickle plating and they recommend NOT to use nickle plated brass is possible. One reason manufactures use plated brass is, they know most reloaders will normally not reload it; therefore, you either purchase brass, or buy more factory loaded ammo; (that is just my opinion). Out of all the reloaders that I personally know, I know of no one who will use it. All this being said, it does stand-up to the elements better than bare exposed brass.

Now, like Rick says, it has never happened to him. You might notice however, I have never seen premium brass that is nickle plated. Trust me, there is a reason for that.

Good Luck!

No worries with nickel plated brass.

Try this load:
300 Win Mag
180 gr Nosler PT
75.0 grs RL22
Federal GM215M primer

Should get you approx 3100 fps and MOA or better.

JD338

A couple years ago I bought a large quantity of Remington .257 Roberts nickel cases for a very low price. What I found was that a carbide expander ball is a neccessity. The inside necks are generally so rough that they will destroy a normal expander. I didn't damaged the die itself but I did trash one expander before I realized what was happening. Also, make sure your cases are well lubricated before sizing.

Rick I think that what Matt was trying to say is that you cannot find premium brass that is nickel plated, not that you cannot find premium ammunition that is not loaded in nickel plated brass. I think that Winchester's loading in nickel plated brass adds to Matt's argument that it is much less likely for someone who buys Winchester Premium ammunition to use that brass for reloading.

I totally agree with what Matt Stevens said....nothing more to add except that I will not use it.

Blaine

erniec, as predicted you will get pros/cons. I form 308x1.5 from nickel plated 300Savage brass. During the process the new neck ends up being in the old body portion of the case. I use RCBS form/trim dies for that operation. Two forming steps, cut the excess neck off, ream and turn the neck, load and fireform. In ten plus years of doing that and several hundred rounds, the dies are like new, no scratched cases, no ruined dies or cutters, no flaking of the nickel, etc. Thousands of rounds of 38/357 through my Dillon dies on a 550B all of them trimmed at least once on a RCBS electric trimmer. Never had to replace dies or cutter, chamfer tool still works like new. Clean and inspect ALL cases before loading, not just nickel and many of the problems with scratched dies will disappear.Rick.

I have reloaded quite a bit for the 280 with Winchester Nickel plated. Bought them cuz it was all I could find in Winchester brass for the 280 (at the time). Never had any problems with any of them. Loaded pretty warm and reloaded probably 6-7 times.

I would agree that they are a little harder to smooth out roughness at the mouth, although now with a TrimMate it is no problem at all.

Long

I have 50 nickel plated Midway stamped 44 Rem Mag cases that have been reloaded umpteen times without issue. I have loaded super light duty Unique loads with cast bullets to hot and heavey Nosler PHG loads for hunting.

I also have Remington 30-06 nickel plated brass that has been FL sized, trimmed, and loaded/sized 4 times now without issue.

Wow, I am going to exit this thread with two last thoughts. First, I have never seen premium manufactured brass with a nickel plating. Yes, they do sell premium lOADED ammo. Second, and this is most important, (at least to me) RCBS, who has been in the business a long, long time recommended I do not use Nickel brass except in a last resort situation.

As far as pistol ammo goes it's less critical because of the straight case, there is less manipulation of the metal.

Nonetheless, I can't argue with what works for other people and many of the folks on this forum really know their stuff.

Regards, Matt

Hi erniec,
I'm new to the forum, and absolutely no expert. However, I thought I might share my insight on nickel brass. I have used nickel remington brass for several years now for my 25/06 big game loads. They are loaded pretty hot for my rifle, and some of the cases have been loaded 4 or 5 times. I use a Lee collet die to neck size only, and the only problem I have experienced is with sizing new brass. Even if I debur the inside of the case mouth first, the case will scratch, scar or burr the expander rod to the extreme upon the first sizing. Subsequent sizings are no problem, as the case mouth is already round, somewhat oversize, and deburred. My solution that has worked so far, was to order from Lee, (for minimal expense) an extra expander rod. I use the old one for new unsized brass, and the old one for once fired. The collet die expander is not hardened or carbide like some other dies, so that might be a solution also. I like nickel for big game loads because it is easier for me to spot after the shot or shots, and saves time after climbing down from the stand when you could be admiring your trophy.
SHOOT STRAIGHT!! 25/06grandslam

Sorry erniec, I meant to say I use the new expander for once fired and older brass. I told you I was a rookie to this forum thing.
SHOOT STRAIGHT!! 25/06 grandslam

I shot a lot of 25-06 remington nickel plated brass in my first 25-06 that was a Ruger. I never had any problems with it, or my dies. It shot some great groups w/ its preferred loads. My dad and I also shot some of the 300 win mag nickel brass and experienced nothing but good from it. I like the looks of nickel better personally, especialy when loaded with a btip, or a combined tech btip! I stopped using it however when I heard of the problems that could occur with dies, and I also read and heard that it was pretty inconsistent, of course, its still remington.

Back