rifle recomendations

khh

Beginner
May 17, 2005
I was talking to my friend today his wife wants to pick up a 2nd rifle . She has a model 7 7mm-08 shes a killing machine with it. She wants to hunt Elk , Moose , and Bear , she likes the 270. We had a conversation where I explain my own opinions that other than flattening the trajectory a bit there isn't much difference in a 7mm-08 and a 270 and both are adequate for the a fore mentioned game. I suggested a 30-06 but it sounds like she's not to excited about a 06 or a 308 . She's on the smallish side , her model 7 is a youth model or something and fits her perfectly she loves it . Anything full size she picks up will have to be cut down . She wants a wood stock. I mentioned the 300 RCM and 338 RCM and that drew some interest. The little I've been around her when she shoots the recoil of the little 7 is no trouble for her at all. A 7 mag is a possibility but its the same bullet Dia. maybe a 300 SAUM she seems to like odd calibers. I have explained the ammo situation with these type rounds and there both ok with it.I handload so it wont be a big issue anyway. lets hear your Ideas. Thanks KH

I have taken moose, elk and bear with the 338 Federal, 358 Win, 350 RM--all work. Her 7mm-08 will be quite adequate for moose, elk and bear within reasonable ranges. For sure, the 270 Win will work for all of these, but they won't be any deader than with her 7-08. I do like Wayne's suggestion of a short action cartridge, however.

How about a 280AI Kimber 84. It's light and it'll handle the heavier 7mm offerings a little better.

Scott

If it were me, and it's not, I'd have her look hard at the Savage Lady Hunter. The problem is that they only chamber it for rounds very similar to, and including, what she has. The only larger chambering is a 308 but that doesn't make much sense compared to the 7mm-08, so that would rule it out.

I'd probably buy a very nice used Vanguard in 300WSM, then order a custom LOP Prairie Hunter stock from Boyd's with a Decelerator pad on it if you can. Or, since they don't go very small with the LOP and Decelerator combo just buy the stock with the plain, cheap pad and have a Decelerator installed by a gunsmith on a stock cut to her length once it arrives.

Bed the rifle, swap to a Timney, have a rifle that is definitely hers and will kill whatever she wants.

I would have to agree, that loaded right within 300 yards the 7mm-08 will definitely do the job.
On most of the deer family.

Blessings,
Dan

I would be concerned that anything that will be noticibly 'better' will be above her comfort level, recoil wise. I might be tempted to go the other direction, something she can shoot the crap out of without worrying about getting beat up... .223, .22-250, or .243....

Friends don't let friends shoot .270s....

:)

I got my son a 7-08 youth rifle this year… I'm quickly becoming a fan of the cartridge.

I agree with several posters- loaded right, the 7-08 will handle moose, elk and bear without difficulty and to really step up in power, the recoil might be over the limit. I can't think of much I'd use a .308 or '06 for that I'd not readily use a 7-08 for and I really don't think there's enough downrange difference between the 7-08 and the .270 to even discuss.

If you really feel the need- the .338FED is about the next logical step up in power without being redundant with what you're already got.

I have to agree with the forementioned...the 338 Federal or 358 Win would be the best choices.
Performance better than the 30-06, larger frontal area, and recoil levels that are still tolerable.
My daughter is 18 now, and shot her first deer, last year, with one of my BLR's in 358 Win last year, with a handloaded 220 gr Speer loaded to over 2400 fps. She is only 5' 4", and less than 120 lbs. She likes the rifle, and wants to pack it when we go elk hunting. Any large bull less than 300 yards away is in serious trouble!

I think you're on to something with the idea of a short mag in .308cal. You could go with the WSM, SAUM, or RCM, since you handload. Just buy plenty of brass on the front end, as it's only going to get harder to get brass for these odd chamberings moving forward, I'm sure.

As to what rifle, I'd encourage her to consider a short action Howa 1500 or Weatherby Vanguard as a viable option. Buy one in the chambering she desires (300WSM in this model, as the SAUM and RCM are not available) and then order the Hogue overmolded youth-sized stock from Legacy Sports, the Howa importer. The barreled action will drop right in, and the LOP is going to fit her as it's similar to the Model 7, or perhaps a tad shorter.

Another option is to get whatever rifle floats her boat, and then buy an aftermarket laminate stock from somewhere like Boyd's for about $120-180 depending on model and options, and have it cut with a custom LOP to fit her (Boyd's will do this and install a Pachmyr Decelerator pad and make it all look like it is supposed to). Advantage, as well, in that she can pick from a variety of laminates or walnut for the stock, and two different checkering patterns.

Yet a third option is the Browning Micro lineup. Available in the Micro Hunter (satin wood stock) and other micro variations (both new and prior year models on the NOS or used racks), this series comes in shorter barrels and shorter LOP and offers a variety of chamberings. It's very similar to the Model 7 in terms of size/shape compared to the full size bolt gun from Browning.

If she likes the size/shape of the Model 7, a 308Win in a Model 7 might suit her, despite her being cool to the idea initially. Perhaps she's thinking of the full-sized rifles she's seen.

There are plenty of youth model rifles out there, as well as youth stocks for regular rifles. She should have no trouble finding something suitable. I believe your advice regarding the comparison between the 270Win and the 7mm-08 is spot-on, too, by the way. If she's going to spend $500-1000, depending on what she buys and how she scopes it, she should be thinking about getting something that will do things her current rifle will not.

Heck, I'd just load some 140, 150 or 160 gr Nosler Partitions in her 7-08 and continue to hunt with it.

She's a "killing machine" with it, and the cartridge is entirely adequate for moose, bear & elk.

Why not?

IF she was one of our RADD fraternity, nobody would even blink at someone who wants another rifle! Even if she wants to use it to shoot the same stuff she can flatten with a 7-08. Maybe she just likes the way "270" sounds when spoken :grin: We all surely know the capabilities of partitions, AB's, and E-tips for penetration on the game she hunts. So why not a .270 WSM short action, recoil padded, stock that fits, something-or-other? The lady wants another rifle, encourage her. Perhaps she is getting RADD already :lol: I like the previous Browning Micro Hunter suggestion, and it comes in .270 WSM: https://www.browning.com/products/catal ... 35&tid=215

Nosler data shows a 160 gr. Partition @ 3100 fps. What won't that kill? Definitely a step up from the 7mm-08.

wayno945":21goipe2 said:
Stay short action, 338 Fed, 358 Win, 350 Rem Mag, some flavor of WSM.

Yeah, I am with Wayne here. The 358/338 and 350 Rem Mag could all be built on smaller rifles and really up the ante over her 7-08. A 358 on a nice little Featherweight or similar would be a nice elk/moose rifle.

What about a Browning BLR? Those are pretty compact as is and very handy as well.

One thing to consider when moving up in caliber is the addition of a muzzle brake.
We all have our own comfort level. Her's, and your levels will be different. If moving up in caliber, with recoil being a concern, why not look at a muzzle brake or mercury recoil reduction system?
Just a thought. I find I like shooting my .338 Win Mag with a brake more than a 30-06 without a brake.

Vince

I'm still going to try to talk her into a 06 her husband has a couple which might be why she kinda wants something different. What she said was she wants to have choices and not just hunt with one gun or caliber all the time and wants the gun to be hers . Elk , Moose and Bear will be on the menu . I have a 338 RUM , her husband and brother in-law have 338 Win's , so I think it might be fun to see her get a 338 Fed or RCM. Ultimately the choice is hers if she likes a 270 then I think she should get it. After it was determined she really didn't want a 30-06 and wanted the new one to be a compact like her other rifle , I was struggling to think of a caliber that was a clear step up from a 7mm-08 and wouldn't knock her around to bad. I could only think of the short mags or the RCM series I forgot about the 338 Fed which just might turn the trick . Which is why I asked all you guys to chime in so Thanks. To me it actually says a lot about a 7mm-08 and what a terrific round it is.

How about a 280 Remington or a 280 AI?? Both very good calibers but not much really above a 7mm-08. How about a new Nosler rifle in 280AI ? Now that would be something!!

Her 7-08 is probably the best all-around option for her, but she wants another rifle so by all mean encourage it!! I'm thinking more of a niche rifle for heavy timber, closer range hunts.

She likes oddball calibers, find a Rem 722 or build a custom in .300 Sav on a Sav Model 10 or Mauser 95 action. Will not have any significant stopping advantage over the 7mm 08, probably actually a bit less at longer ranges, but it will make a fine round at short to medium range on the aforementioned critters.

Some other interesting "oddball" options for a niche rifle with mild recoil and good stopping power on larger game would be a WELL sporterized .303 british Enfield. A nicely built Krag or 8mm mauser sporter would be fun as well. If you really want to get wild, a Ruger single shot in .30-40 Krag would be a very interesting pick. All of the above should wear a fine walnut stock with nice grain and an oil finish.

I would find her a Hawkeye chambered in 358win and call it a day. I agree that she can handle any elk, moose or black bear with her 7mm-08 but if she wants another rifle, I won't be the person to talk her out of it. ;-)

Back