RL 22 Anyone?

EOD Diver

Handloader
Dec 30, 2011
Guys,
Any tips for finding RL 22? I've been looking everywhere now for a little over three months with no luck. It works so well in .270 Win and .280AI that I feel empty without it. Thanks in advance.
Joe

my best thought would be place an order with brownells, it is on backorder but if you order a couple things it could make up for the haz-mat fee

Put in an order with your LGS for a five-pound keg. When they are next bringing in powder, if the supplier is able to fill the order, you will receive it. For powders I use frequently on a variety of cartridges (and one such powder is RL22), I order five or eight pound kegs just to ensure I have some on hand. Because of the popularity of ReLoder powders, they tend to go out the door about as quickly as they come in.

I need some too. I'm in AZ and it's pretty hard to find around here. I've been searching for a while and can't find any. If anybody knows where to get it, I'd appreciate it if you let me know. BP

I've been trying to find some here in Tucson. Might as well ask for hen's teeth. One dealer had some at $60 a pound. :shock: I asked at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and he said they haven't gotten any Re22 in several months but they had aboit 12 one pound cans of RE17 on the shelf. They even had some primers. :shock:
Paul B.

I've tried almost all of the major online vendors with no luck. I'm close to Seattle and the folks at Sportsmen's Warehouse don't do special orders. I've gone as far as emailing Alliant, but never got a response back. I've got a boat load of H1000 (8 pounds) and 7828ssc, but they're a little bit slower than I need. MRP is right there in burn rate with RL 22, but I haven't seen any of that either. I met a guy at the store today that said he had two pounds. I asked him if he'd be willing to swap any of my powders and he said he'd get back to me. Cross your fingers...
Joe

Ramshot Magnum is around and for my 300's anyway has given better results. Sorry, not sure what caliber you are loading. I have 1+ lbs if you drive through ABQ.

Are you near south east Washington . Saw 6 or 7 pounds at a local store today.

Corey

Corey,
We'll be headed that way shortly on our way to hunt antelope in NM! Would you mind PMing me with what store it's at?
Joe

I appreciate the offer on Ramshot Mag, but it's a touch slower than H1000.
Joe

EOD Diver":1styjl7f said:
I appreciate the offer on Ramshot Mag, but it's a touch slower than H1000.
Joe

Sorry was in a hurry but I have 1+lbs of RL22 if your driving through.

Larry

dewey7271":2bgwxcr0 said:
Isn't Norma MRP supposed to be similar?
I found 1 lb here

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3348317434/norma-mrp-smokeless-gun-powder

Don't know if that helps?
Dewey

Dewey nailed what I was going to say. With Western bringing Norma's MRP into the states now, I would seriously look at this stuff as a replacement for RL22. It has been hashed alot over the years they are the same exact powder, and the data on QL seems to support they are pretty danged close.

I have about 3lbs of RL22 left right now, so I am getting a little nervous in hopes it'll show up before I really need more of it.. If not, I just might give MRP a try. Heard too many good things about it to not try it someday.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ctId/11687

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... =000790680

I just got some RL22 via a buddy who saw some at a gun show near Philly. $22/lb.

IMR7828 seems very similar, though? And at least here, 7828 has been on the shelf through the entire shortage.

dewey7271":1zusz6du said:
Isn't Norma MRP supposed to be similar?

Dewey

MRP is not RL22. At the very least they are drawn from different lots of powder. They are sufficiently similar in burn rate, however, that you won't be unduly hindered in working with MRP if RL22 has served you previously.

Back