Rotate your hunting rifles

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Thinking about hunting seasons and using different rifles that I own made me ponder on how others rotate their hunting rifles from one year, hunting season to the next. I don't own a vast number of them but a few. Yet still there isn't enough tags or time to use each one during the seasons. The older ones get put deep in the safe and the newer ones see more use just because, well, they are newer, have less experience with them. I do drag them out of semi-retirement on occasion just for old time's sake if nothing else. Couple of rifles are for certain areas but all could be used where I hunt. What and how do you use your hunting rifles from season to season? Dan.

Like you, I have more than enough rifles to use for deer hunting each year. But I do enjoy getting a new rifle/caliber, working up a load for it, and then using it in the field. I usually designate a primary for the season, and then one or two backups. Three years ago, it was the backup that put a nice 10-pt on the ground.

"Celebrate Diversity" as they say. 🙂

Excellent question. All my rifles should see more use. They are old friends, deserving more respect than they actually receive. Truthfully, I was blessed to have opportunity to acquire more rifles than anyone deserved, and they did get use--just not the use they deserved. I'm definitely in the twilight years of life, and I am slowly divesting myself of these old friends. Of making many books, there is no end; and of acquiring many firearms, there is no end.

The last few years I’ve been switching between different rifles. This year the 35 Whelen will see action in my stand in the woods. The 375 Wby will be in the stand out on my food plot. I also have my mind set on who will see action for the 2025 season.

I have my favorites that I switch around according to what I'm feeling. But, if I have one that hasn't drawn blood yet, it tends to see more use until it scores. Sometimes I'll have a specific challenge in mind, like now it's taking a black bear with the 350 legend, so that'll be what I carry when I'm specifically after a bear. That rifle has taken hogs, and one unlucky armadillo, but I want to take a bear in the thick timber with it.

Like hunter said above, I tend to use ones that I haven't killed anything with yet or a new bullet that I haven't used before. Certain areas will often get me using different guns as well. I have one stand on my lease that is thick swamp and shots are usually less than 100 yards, sometimes much less. I'll tend to use leverguns and pistols there and bolt guns/single shots everywhere else.

For years I hunted almost exclusively with a 30-06. It wasn't until 1973 that I decided that 1903A3 bubba gun was just too damn heavy to be packing ay the higher altitudes I was hunting. Being a very heavy chain smoker at that time didn't help. I found a Remington 660 in .308 for $99.95 plus tax that was much lighter and although I was leery of the .308's somewhat lesser velocity aggravated by the 20" barrel I bought the rifle. Man that thing was loud and kicked like an angry mule/ That summer, my kids bought be a pair of those shooting muffs so I gave them a try one day while testing load. Oh my! Where did the kick go and the noise as well I learned that it was the noise that very loud report that made it seem like the rifle was a hard kicker. Two years later I finally kicked the smoking habit and hunts became even easier. I dropped the 30-06 and hunted with the .308 for deer after that until I moved to Arizona. The 660 was eventually replaced for hunts by a Ruger M77 RSI, the 18.5 barrel Mannlicher style version. The reason? It replaced an original 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenaur 6.5x54 that was stolen back in 1975. Not only did it have the same feel but when I looked at something, then shut my eyes and snapped it to my shoulder, the crosshairs in the scope would be right on the object I'd look as which was the button on a light switch. I tried it several times the days I bought from a guy who couldn't make it shoot decent groups. It didn't and I won't go into the roughly two year sgtuggle to fin something that worked. Once found I used it on just about every deer hunt since. In between I've use a lot of other rifles, mostly Ruger #1s which I dearly love. For elk I use a .35 Whelen which honestly has been a very lucky elk rifle. If I should ever do another elk hunt, it's probably the rifle of first choice although there's a neat and very accurate Ruger #1S .300 Win. Mag. I haven't blooded on something. Maybe use the .35W as back up for the #1. We'll just have to see what turns up.
Paul B.

I try to rotate several throughout the short season we have here in WV. On antlerless hunts I like my smaller calibers 25 and under especially on morning hunts, evening hunt get a 30 caliber and rainy wet weather get the 45/70. I have several #1’s in the safe that have never been had a round chambered ( some are 8 years old) sooner or later they will get there chance.

Edit: my Ruger #1A in 7-08 always seems to work its way into rotation. It’s usually what I am carrying when I kill a deer. It’s just a great gun with a 140gr NBT and super accurate with that load.

Last edited:
Like many of you, I am blessed with more than I need in the firearms department. When considering what to use, I typically refer to my records of what I have used for which so far. Then I look at my guns and ammunition on hand or available.

For example, if I’m going elk hunting and I haven’t yet taken an elk with rifle a, b or c then they move to the top of the list.

If where I’m hunting elk is not well suited to rifle b, then a and c advance, while b is disqualified. If there is a new bullet I want to try in rifle a and is available in factory form but only as a component in rifle c, will I have time to do load workup and practice enough to feel proficient?

And then there is whim. Somedays, for whatever reason, I get a wild hair and something which may seem utterly ridiculous might come along.

Fun if nothing else.

Weather, terrain, and game play the biggest roles for mine. If the weather is good i may take a synthetic over a wood stock. Rough terrain and long hikes i will usually reach for a lighter rifle. If i get a chance this year i want to try and use a pistol on a whitetail, but also have a 375 lever gun that would be fun too....so many choices

Yup I now vowed to go on a pig hunt every year just to bleed rifles LOL:)
You should make a swing this way and help save some bean fields. There are bean field bandits everywhere.
Last week was a 338 kind of night.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20240819_154357.jpg
    IMG_20240819_154357.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 9
I have plenty of rifles and pistols. The 1st factor is what I am hunting. Where I am hunting and the style of the hunt. Then it is a choice of bullets. Then it is a battle of what I have not blooded or blooded much and I have a few favorites. Even the favorites change from time to time.
Many years ago it was much easier---I had one rifle a Rem 760 in 30-06.--It is too heavy for me to lug around now so I look at lighter rifles more.

been wringing out my AR's last couple years got them shooting well. will carry the 6.5 Grendel in the thick stuff, a 6mm ARC in the closer semi open. The 6.5 Creed if the shots vary from 200-650 yards. may sight in the Gibbs if I get the chance.will probably have to loan out a couple for the Nimrods that show up, am told 8 will be coming. may carry the 25WSSM a bit, or my 6MM. really who knows at this point!

Back