Scope for 7mm-08

G

I am looking to get a new scope but I can not afford alot I have gotten down to 2 scopes which I want peoples opinions on. The first one is the Leupold Rifleman in 3x9 x 40, the second is the Mueller red dot scope in 3x9 x 40 or 3x10 x44. I am stuck at this point, I know the quality of Leupold and I have read good reviews of the Mueller scopes. The rifle that it would be mounted on is a Savage 11GL in 7mm-08. I would like to be able to shoot and see out to 250 yards maybe 300 yards :?

Bert304,

For the money, Leupold is the best value and a better way to go.
I don't know what your budget or time frame is, but if you can, go with a VXIII 2.5x8. This scope will give you low light capabilities for the dawn/dusk shots and 8x is more than enough for 300-400 yd shots that your 7mm08 is capable of.
Keep in mind that your chosen scope can be the difference in your success. Think of it as an investment, one that will last you the rest of your hunting career.
There are a few places on line where you can get Leupold scopes for much less than you see advertised.

Regards,

JD338

I totally agree with JD338. If you have an occasion/opportunity to look through a Leupold and several others similarly priced scopes side by side......your mind will be made up quickly.

Blaine

You can see well enough with a fixed 4x or 6x for the ranges you mention to shoot any big game animal. I would look at the fixed power Leupolds. I don't have any experience with their Rifleman series. The red dots are great for short range in the brush shooting but they wouldn't be my choice for anything else. My 7/08 wears a 2.5x8 Leupold. All my shots are/have been taken at the 2.5 setting. I don't play with the magnification when I see a deer.Rick.

One of the advantages that I see with the variable scopes is with load development and sighting in. It is nice to bring that target "up close and personal". I agree that for hunting though, start at the lowest power which will be right for most hunting situations. If the deer is that far out that a higher setting is needed, you will most likely have lots of time to dial up a higher power. The most important thing is to put the best glass you can afford on your hunting gun. Fixed/variable, or what power is meaningless if the scope has lost its zero just before you see that "buck of a lifetime".

Blaine

I bought the Leupol VX-II in 3-9 X 40mm. It is worth the 300.00 I spent on it the optics are so clear and there is no fuzz on the crosshairs even at 9 power

EXCELLENT choice Bert. I have 3 of those. You will not be disappointed with that scope.

Blaine

Good choice. Leupold is hard to beat, unless you go to nightforce or the european optics. ANyways, later down the road if you wish, you can get target turrets put on that scope to bring your 7-08 to life. 600 yards is not out of the question.

Yep, I agree with the rest of the guys. You made a good choice and that scope won't let you down come "show time".

Regards,

JD338

JD338":3arrdzi9 said:
Bert304,

For the money, Leupold is the best value and a better way to go.
I don't know what your budget or time frame is, but if you can, go with a VXIII 2.5x8. JD338

As usual I thoroughly concur!

Is it a Greek Thing? :lol:

This is just my opinion but the VXII is the best model Leupold offers vs investment and return. You should be very pleased.

Enjoy your new rig

Bert,

I also purchased the 3-9X40 Leupold VX-II for my 7mm-08. I have been extremely pleased with it. I will be very surprised if you are not as well.

Back