shooting with both eyes open?

G

I was wondering if you guys shoot with both eyes open? I had hard time with it but was told I must learn in order to observe my target and surrounding threats. Is this just tought to marine snipers or is this a popular thing?

I shoot with both eyes open. Closing one eye affects your other eyes ability to focus properly, besides the other advantages of being able to see the area better.

I shoot with both eyes open too. You can really see a lot like the games reaction at the shot, etc. Its the only way to go.

JD338

I also shoot with both eyes open. I just find it easier to focus with both eyes open. I guess it is from learning to shoot handguns first. I am a right handed handgun shooter but left eye dom.

Shooting with both eyes open is the proper way to shoot a rifle/shotgun. That is how I was always coached to do it. Unfortunately I cannot do it no matter how much I try. I tend to get double vision and can't focus on anything. I used to wear an eye patch when I shot matches but now I just close my eye since I sometimes have to use a spotting scope while shooting.

One thing I noticed recently at the range is that if I shoot with both eyes open, I don't blink as noticeably at the report of the rifle. I think maybe having one eye closed places the muscles controlling the other eyelid in a position of ratcheting shut more easily. I noticed this because I was working on getting rid of a noise flinch I developed while shooting only with earplugs (instead of plugs and muffs) on a prior range trip. Interestingly, I developed an antipatory flinch at trigger pull from that prior range trip, something I didn't notice until I was shooting my bow (which has almost no muzzle blast and very little report...;) ) Anyway, I worked with dry firing to get rid of the little flinch (almost like a trigger panic or something) and then went to test at the range. During dry fire practice I had both eyes open, and so at the range, I shot that way. Then once I shot one-eyed, and noticed that I reacted more to the report of the rifle. Your mileage may vary.

For target shooting if you close both eyes before you shoot it will trick your brain from trying to get your eye to focus from looking too long through the scope. I would only try this for target shooting but it is a little trick a guy who shoots very well taught me.

We have always been taught to shoot with both eyes open, reason being is if you close one eye, you lose 50% of your situational awareness and therefore you are depriving your brain out of alot of information. I know it sounds crazy, but if you think about it, try walking around with one eye closed.

A decent technique to get your eyes used to shooting with both eyes open is too put a piece of scotch tape on your shooting glasses in front of your non dominant eye, lightly smudge scotch tape by pressing it in your fingers, it will slightly blur the image, allowing you to shoot with both open. Once you get accustomed to this, peal the tape. It isn't as complicated as I explained it, but it has worked for alot of shooters. It took me a little while to really get used to it, but once you do, you'll find you won't get a migraine from trying to keep your eye closed during extended periods of shooting. Scotty

JCalhoun":2p83e5sb said:
Shooting with both eyes open is the proper way to shoot a rifle/shotgun. That is how I was always coached to do it. Unfortunately I cannot do it no matter how much I try. I tend to get double vision and can't focus on anything. I used to wear an eye patch when I shot matches but now I just close my eye since I sometimes have to use a spotting scope while shooting.

Yeah, I have the same problem, two different "pictures" and I can't see either properly. I don't know if it's because I grew up shooting with one eye closed or something with my wiring. I also can't see those funny pictures that you stare at and they become something else.

SJB358":13whgdyw said:
We have always been taught to shoot with both eyes open, reason being is if you close one eye, you lose 50% of your situational awareness and therefore you are depriving your brain out of alot of information. I know it sounds crazy, but if you think about it, try walking around with one eye closed.

A decent technique to get your eyes used to shooting with both eyes open is too put a piece of scotch tape on your shooting glasses in front of your non dominant eye, lightly smudge scotch tape by pressing it in your fingers, it will slightly blur the image, allowing you to shoot with both open. Once you get accustomed to this, peal the tape. It isn't as complicated as I explained it, but it has worked for alot of shooters. It took me a little while to really get used to it, but once you do, you'll find you won't get a migraine from trying to keep your eye closed during extended periods of shooting. Scotty

That works if your dominant eye is the side you are shooting from. My problem is that my dominant eye is my left and I shoot right handed. I wore a patch whenever I had to shoot for scores. I am going to give your suggestion a try and see if I can make it work.

257 Ackley":3ki5i34v said:
SJB358":3ki5i34v said:

That works if your dominant eye is the side you are shooting from. My problem is that my dominant eye is my left and I shoot right handed. I wore a patch whenever I had to shoot for scores. I am going to give your suggestion a try and see if I can make it work.

You can make it work.. Just smudge the tape. Don't block your vision, just blur it, the other eye will pick it up.. I have seen it work for alot of shooters. Once you get both eyes open, it feels so much nicer to shoot. Less stress on your head.

I generally have to close an eye for just a second to let the dominant eye adjust to the scope. Then both are open and it really is much easier for extended shooting or viewing.

I was taught back in the air-rifle days with the taped glasses method. It was religiously drilled into me not to close that bleepin eye (our instructor was a WWII vet Sergeant in the USMC, career man, had won several NIT and other Camp Perry matches so you bet we listened). Now it is second nature to leave 'em open. The only exception is with open iron or peep sights. I still use both eyes, but squint the non-dominant eye a bit to fuzz out the double vision on target. With optics, shotgunning and pistol shooting I keep both wide open.

Polaris":1t4zefff said:
I was taught back in the air-rifle days with the taped glasses method. It was religiously drilled into me not to close that bleepin eye (our instructor was a WWII vet Sergeant in the USMC, career man, had won several NIT and other Camp Perry matches so you bet we listened). Now it is second nature to leave 'em open. The only exception is with open iron or peep sights. I still use both eyes, but squint the non-dominant eye a bit to fuzz out the double vision on target. With optics, shotgunning and pistol shooting I keep both wide open.

I do the same with sights when I am aiming further out. 50 yards and in, both eyes are open..

Those danged Marines know a thing or two about shooting! :shock:

I shoot a shotgun with both eyes open but always close the eye not looking through the scope, i have tried to keep them both open while using a scope but it does affect the eye looking through the scope for me.

I have both eyes open when shooting in the bench but close one when competing and hunting.

Both eys are always open using scopes and red dots. For the life of me though, i cannot keep both open using iron sights. Everything goes crazy

ScreaminEagle":344fd3hs said:
Both eys are always open using scopes and red dots. For the life of me though, i cannot keep both open using iron sights. Everything goes crazy

Dull your left eye somehow SE. Just a strip or two of tape over your non shooting eye will train your eyes to adjust quick.

Back