Sighting in a Scope with turrets.

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
While checking my 264 WM at 350 yards to check bullet drop I noticed my older 3.5-10x40 scope had a lot of parallax at that range, the crosshairs were swimming all over the target I asked Leupold about it and we will see what they come back with. In the past it grouped really well at longer range but lately the groups haven't been as good. In the mean time I was thinking about putting my Leupold fixed 8x40 AO scope on it that is now on my 22 lr, it has one turret for elevation only. My question is what is the proper way to sight it in, just keep turning the turret until it is zeroed? Any information on the proper use of a turret would be appreciated since this was a used scope with no instructions with it. The other option I have is putting my Burris 2-7x35 ballisic plex scope on it, this scope has proven to be quite reliable so far. I need to do something and a new scope isn't an option right now.

Here is a link to an interesting article by John Barsness that convieniently came out while I was pondering this whole thing.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/newslette ... _2011.html

Good article by Barsness. Most people don't realise also that your eye will naturally center the reticle in the center of the scope, even with a little parallax. So with good cheek weld, good form and good shooting practices, parallax will not have a major impact on groups even when it is at a less than optimal yardage for that scope.

Oldtrader3":29l9d7nz said:
Good article by Barsness. Most people don't realise also that your eye will naturally center the reticle in the center of the scope, even with a little parallax. So with good cheek weld, good form and good shooting practices, parallax will not have a major impact on groups even when it is at a less than optimal yardage for that scope.

That is true and it did help when I did that the only problem is in the mountains you sometimes have to shoot at weird angles and might not be able to get the same cheek weld.

That is certainly true when shooting at different angles, parallax may be more of a factor, especially if you are not centered in the field of view.

Back