Slide action loads

Jar Head

Beginner
May 7, 2006
Hi guys,
I have a post in rifles concerning a Remington pump I just bought in .30-.06. I have never loaded a slide action. Anything special I need to do or watch for ? Thinking of 165 partitions & IMR 4350.

Regards,
Chris

Jar Head":3pm5a47x said:
Hi guys,
I have a post in rifles concerning a Remington pump I just bought in .30-.06. I have never loaded a slide action. Anything special I need to do or watch for ? Thinking of 165 partitions & IMR 4350.

Regards,
Chris

One thing to watch when you are loading for pumps is to use full length sizer dies. If you try to use a neck die you may have problems with jamming. Also try to keep bullet seating per the recommendations in the reloading manual. This will ensure proper feeding. I assume you have a remington gamemaster? If so they are magazine fed so you may be able to play with bullet seating a bit, but will still need to keep them slightly shorter than the inside of the mag. I believe the 165 Partition would be a great choice as they shoot great in the '06. Good luck!

Full length resizing and loaded 1 grain under MAX should get you where you want to be.

JD338

Good advice from the fellows. Focus on accuracy rather than velocity. A full-power load can be an unnecessary torture test for the bolt. As is true for all pump and lever guns, full-length sizing will be critical to ensure that you don't encounter difficult extraction.

How did you make out with your load work? Those pump guns are pretty slick deer rifles. Scotty

Back