Slippery Stock

CT.HNTR

Beginner
Feb 6, 2022
I recently picked up a brand new Weatherby Mark V Accumark in 300 WBY that has a hand laid fiberglass stock which is painted with a camo pattern. The stock does not have knurling in the grip areas and I find it to be slippery. As this is a hunting rifle I want to correct this. What is the best way to add a texture to the stock to improve the grip? I was wondering if I could try stippling it with a soldering iron or if there is something better I could try? Any advise is appreciated.

You could sand it down and repaint it with webbing. There are a few tutorials here and there online about it.

There's peel and stick material for handguns and "tactical" rifles that works well. Cut it to the length/shape you want and stick it on, and believe me, it stays put! I used it in my grandsons 7-08 with a slippery boyds stock. It's thicker and stifer than tape but not real thick. Here is where I used them Foxx Grip Sheets
Also the "sponge" method of painting gives a nice textured surface when finished.

Last edited:
You could sand it down and repaint it with webbing. There are a few tutorials here and there online about it.
You can add webbing using Krylon Marbelizing Spray, available at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. Be sure to practice with it first and see what spray pattern "your" nozzle has. Also, they spray best if held vertical, not tipped down.
You do NOT need to sand it first, just be sure it is clean. I use Klean Strip Prep-All to wipe them down first. You might consider then some matte clear if you wish.

You can add webbing using Krylon Marbelizing Spray, available at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. Be sure to practice with it first and see what spray pattern "your" nozzle has. Also, they spray best if held vertical, not tipped down.
You do NOT need to sand it first, just be sure it is clean. I use Klean Strip Prep-All to wipe them down first. You might consider then some matte clear if you wish.
Ah yeah I was going way overkill with my answer. This one is probably better.

You can add webbing using Krylon Marbelizing Spray
I’ve painted several stocks and use that spray with great luck and as long you don’t over due it with the clear it will give you a good grip.

Slippery stock, eh? Sounds like somebody is headed for a Code Red :sneaky: .
As stated above, peel and stick grip tape works really well. You can also get fiberglass tape which is a waffle pattern used for reinforcing drywall, which should work well. I've also heard of people using rubber bands or sections of radiator hose for additional grip.

Use a modified version of this process, using way less silicone carbide.

You can use the epoxy and other types of grit that are finer in texture.

I did one rifle years ago using 2 part bed liner material and a short haired paint brush, dabbing the rubberized material in the areas I prepped and then used a second short haired paint brush to get the texture exactly like I wanted.

Plenty of YouTube tutorial videos on the process

Tape off a section you need traction on and use spray on bed liner. Just avoid 100% deet as it will melt Bedliner.

One think to keep in mind is Weatherby doesn’t like any modifications done if you have to return it for warrantee work.

Back