Surprise Rifle

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
I just picked up a used Vanguard in 300 Win Mag that I'm going to give to a young man when he returns home. He joined the Army Nat. Guard and is currently at basic training and then straight to what ever the Army calls there technical training. He is suppose to be back around X-mas for a few weeks. It had an el-cheapo Tasco scope, but I'm going to put the Nikon 3-9x40 Buckmaster on it that I took off my 30-06. I'll pick up some ammo to get the scope sighted in and then the rest is up to him.
From the reports I'm getting, he's doing exceptionally well in basic and will probably be made a platoon leader. He also passed the "gas chamber" as supposedly liked it.......

I worked up a load for his 7mm RM a couple of years ago, but he has mentioned a 300RUM, but with the lack of variety of 300RUM ammo and rifle prices, I jumped on this 300WM which had a price tag I could afford.

Very cool. That could well be a gift that he keeps and uses for many decades to come.

Good for you!

Rich,

That is awesome!
If you decide to load for the 300 Win Mag, the load to use with a 180 gr bullet is 75.0 grs RL 22.

JD338

Well, the Buckmaster scope I thought I had went on another rifle, so what do you thing of the Redfields, the place I bought the rifle has some for 25% off.

Awesome gift, that should make him a happy young man. Always a good thing to start a young person with their own gun.

Richracer1":298jsi8r said:
Well, the Buckmaster scope I thought I had went on another rifle, so what do you thing of the Redfields, the place I bought the rifle has some for 25% off.
Rich,

Redfield is owned by Leupold, not a bad choice if you ask me.

JD338

Richracer1":2jt7jykw said:

Like the 2-7x, really like the 4-12x...

Oldtrader3":160mxqc0 said:
Awesome gift, that should make him a happy young man. Always a good thing to start a young person with their own gun.

He already has a 22LR rifle and a 7mm RM, but he's made mention of a 300 mag of some sort.

I found a great deal on a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 (4-plex) that was on sale, 25% off of the $199.95 price tag. I did a little browsing and seems this is normally a $249.99 scope.

Good for you that young fellow will remember your thoughtfulness for the rest of his life :)
You are a special FRIEND :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Back