Talk me out of a .257 Weatherby

zacii

Beginner
Mar 5, 2015
I'm going to Sportsman's this afternoon.

I don't need a Vanguard S2 .257 Weatherby.

Please talk me out of it.

It's too expensive to shoot.

It's too hard on barrels.

It's over-rated. Many other cartridges do the same thing.

It's not big enough for elk.

Anything 6.5, 7, or 30 is better.

I say get it! All of your reasons are opinions. If you like it, I think it'll work.

I've had a want of a 257 Wby for quite some time.

Hah!

I've had two in a Vanguard and will likely get another in a MkV.

I'm not sure anything capable of being shot from a shoulder shoots any flatter. Perhaps one of the best open country cartridges out there.

It was Roy Weatherby's personal favorite for a reason. Try it, you'll like it.

Sorry, I can't talk you out of it. I have one and love it. Factory ammo is expensive, its the reason I started reloading. Ya the brass is more spendy than some more common calibers but the smile it puts on my face is worth it. A 110g AccuBond @ 3475 fps is euphoric.

Leave the Vanguard behind. That'll be one more for me. :grin:

If your going to get one get a Accuguard so you have a decent stock and trigger to start with The S2 are entry level rifles and require upgrades ( decent stock and triggers ) JMO.

What can a 257 Weatherby do that my .308 cannot?

I mean, really?

truck driver":1x6u6bgb said:
If your going to get one get a Accuguard so you have a decent stock and trigger to start with The S2 are entry level rifles and require upgrades ( decent stock and triggers ) JMO.
True. But I can choose the stock and trigger of my liking if I do it myself.

But I'm not gonna do it.

Not yet anyway.

Somebody help me resist.

Resistance is futile. I think I need a .257 Bee. But think I'd like a Mrk V.

The .257 Weatherby is the light sabre of flat-shooting cartridges! It's the reason I wish there were more high BC bullets avail for .25 cal rifles!

Recoil is light. It is big enough for elk, proven many times.

Hold on hair out at 400+ yards...

And it looks very, very cool. Hold your shooting expenses down by forming 7mm Rem mag brass. Just neck it down, load and shoot.

I can't talk you out of the .257 Weatherby. Great cartridge!

Guy

Loaded up with a 120 gr PT, you can kill elk and moose with proper shot placement.
Although 257 Wby. brass is expensive BUT you can always use 7mm Rem Mag brass. A single pass through the FL sizing die and you are ready to load. AS Fotis said, a 110 gr AB at 3500 fps will cover most anything you would want to hunt and have a chalk line trajectory.

Can't talk you out of it so you might as well get it.

JD338

zacii":3fcg83ba said:
What can a 257 Weatherby do that my .308 cannot?

I mean, really?

Well...have a practical MPBR of 400 yards to start with.

If you don't hunt open country, then you're correct- it doesn't have an advantage at all. But for hunting open prairie or tundra, the .257 just greatly simplifies things- put them in the crosshairs and shoot. No holdover, no dialing, no complex drop reticle...just crosshairs and dead.

Whew...!

I dodged a bullet. I went to Sportsman's and wisely didn't lay hands on the Vanguard. I'm proud of myself for not giving in to temptation.

If I am a little patient, save a little bit more and maybe sell one of my other guns, then I can get the .257 guilt free.

They had a Vanguard S2 for $520, and a Vanguard Range Certified for about $900. I have a hard time thinking that the RC version is worth the extra coin. The stock appears to be nicer, but I don't know if the trigger or barrel is better. The stock and trigger could easily be changed on the S2 if necessary.

Antelope is in Sept. Gotta get moving on a bona fide rifle. In a moment of weakness I bought a Ruger American 30-06, a few months ago. It's been a let down. Wish I had used the dough on the Weatherby instead.

As a side note, I also found a used Model 70 in 264 Winchester Magnum. It had a camo synthetic stock for $600.

The only difference is that the Range Certified were culls which were more accurate and pulled from the line for that.

Dude temptation what's that? That little 257 Bee would fix it maybe only temporarily but it would give you your fix.

Back