• 338 Winchester

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 338 RUM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

elkslayer308

Beginner
Mar 27, 2006
Since no body appears to have as much appreciation for the standard cartridges as they should i also want to start a poll for the one magnum for it all. Now in the last poll, i meant western big game as my everything. No 12 feet tall grizzlies or african big 5. I mean from Mice to moose nothing more, nothing less. These guns are to be used for similar tasks even though it can sucessfully be argued that some are more than adequate for grizzlies and similar bruins. Though some of those standards in the last poll can, have, and continue to kill bears everyday.

elkslayer308,

I have a 338 RUM in a M700 LSS. This is my favorite rifle for the feel, power, and accuracy. The 338 RUM hits like the hammer of Thor both near and far. The knockdown power is awesom, and every animal I have taken has been a instant kill.
Accuracy is excellent. With the Nosler 200 gr BT, 210 gr PT, 225 gr PT and 250 gr PT, shoots under .5". The 225 gr AB is between .5-.6".
The 338 RUM is my go to gun for anything.

JD338

I don't have one "DO ALL" magnum. I have a 270WSM and a 338WM. These are my do all big game rifles.

Since I own a 300 Weatherby, I had to vote for it.

I would have no reservations about hunting ANYTHING in the world with 125-220 grain Nosler Partitions shot out of my 300 Weatherby.

My 300 Wby is the only rifle I've shot that I can see the scope come back at me when I pull the trigger. I havent been hit yet and I havent developed a flinch, but its a weird feeling.

300 RUM
SAKO 75 SYNTHETIC STAINLESS
200 AccuBond AT 3175 FPS
.292" AT 100 YARDS.

MICE TO MOOSE

I voted for the 7mm rem. Mine is the saum version though. Same difference in performance.

7mm STW, ................ its not in your poll but it should be ,sako 75 ss syn, mod 70 sporter, mod 700 re chambered from 7mm magnum :grin: greetings to all ...jjmp

JD338 spoke the truth. I must admit my.375RUM is my go to elk rifle and it's the same Rem. LSS that JD338 speaks of. But the 338RUM is much more of an all around caliber for Elk & Mule deer and medium game. I shot a 300 WBY. for many years and with all it's ability to reach out it causes more meat damage at close range, even with N/Ps . For a guy that doesn't reload though you would be kind of limited in bullet selection.
You know what? I carry the ultimate all around caliber with me on all my hunts. It just takes 4 or 5 guncases to carry them. And then there's handguns!! I love these polls :grin:
Good Hunting!

Well, looks like the 300 Winnie won out. Nothing wrong with that cal! 8)

But if I could have my pick of an UBER Mag, it would be a tough choice......either the 358 STA or the 416 Weatherby.

Zoiks!

tapehoser":19f3x7qa said:
But if I could have my pick of an UBER Mag, it would be a tough choice......either the 358 STA or the 416 Weatherby.

Zoiks!

I love the 416 Bee
Here is my 416 WBY in full use :p :p :p

416doe.jpg

I think my favorite mag is the 300 Win. It does everything great. Great accuracy, power, choice of bullets, decent barrel life. If and when I ever decide to get rid of my 300 RUM, I'll go back to the 300 WM.

I have plenty of appreciation for the standard cartridge. If your not shooting at long range a magnum is a disadvantage.

Magnums have heavier recoil and blast that increases at a geometric rate for marginal gain.

I voted for the 270 WSM. I have other magnums and would select the best one for the circumstances.

270 Weatherby here. I wouldn't back down from anything on this continent with a 140 grain at 3400 fps, as fired across a chrony. I shot the 300 win mag for over 20 years and like it too, but found that the 270 will do just as well with less powder and a flatter trajectory. Sold the 458 and 3 375's as I'm not hunting any elephants, and sold my 338 as well. If it's too big for the 270 Weatherby, then a stout handload out of the # 1 45 70 will definately solve the problem.

Had to go with the 300WM , I just have a hang up I guess. I know others offer more power, but I have a Lam. stock Sendero that will put 3 in .85" at 300 yards, I am not a bench rest shooter, so for me that is good!

Back