Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 300 RUM

• 338 Winchester

• 338 RUM

• Total voters
7mm RM has stuck for my all arounder antelope - moose.

Custom 7mm rem mag on 700 action with Zeiss Conquest - 05' it produced 5x5 bull elk, 5x6 whitetail, mule deer doe and this bull moose.

57e18eda.jpg

skeeter,

Sounds like you had a great season, congratulations.

What bullet did you use for your hunting?

JD338

Had a mag twice, a 7mm and a 7m Roy. That being said, I don't think there is any need for anything over an 06. At least for the person who isn't going to hunt big bear etc...

Long

My choice is not there, a 350 Rem mag (700 Classic). I just got the rifle a few months ago and have not shot it much, that rifle is replacing my '06(700) wich is now in the hands of my wife. This should be a great rifle for the brushey PNW, Hope to use it with much success. BTW at 8lbs 1oz fully loaded its a dream to carry :grin:

transonic":1u63zkpq said:
308 Norma Magnum with 165 Sierra Gamekings or Nosler 180 BT..

Nice choice of caliber but make my bullet a 180 Nosler AccuBond or Partition. As far as the Gamekings go, for me, maybe I would trust them on foxes and coyotes. That is about it.

Hi Pop
I used the Gameking on Groundhogs last Summer, playing, comes to mind! The Gameking did leave holes in the varmints, I will play with the 180 Nosler this Summer also. The rifle is at the Gunsmith at this time, after shooting it for 33 yrs. I decided on a new barrel. It's getting a SS, #5 Douglas barrel, 26 1/2", Timney trigger set at 2 lbs., action bedded, barrel floated. It will be my "Custom Rifle" for my lifetime!

transonic

Sounds great! It should shoot like a house afire!

About the Gamekings... I just do not trust them. Too many failures that I have seen on big game. I called Sierra and asked them when are they going to make a Premium. With their reputation for accuracy they should clean up the market. The tech said they already produce a premium....the Gameking and no need for anything else exists. I just said ok and hung up.

A company in denial I say!

No one cartridge can be the "every-cartridge", in terms of being ideal in all situations. All will be too heavy for some taskings and too light for others. My choice of the 7mmRemMag is entered because I believe that cartridge to be among ones that fit the broadest spectrum of applications.
I have successfully taken prairie dogs using 7mmRemMag, when shooting prairie dogs was an add-on after a deer hunt. The 7mmRemMag served as well at my 22-250 on PDs, although I would not want to set up and shoot PDs all day long with 7mmRemMag. On the other end, 7mmRemMag fills the bill for any of the larger N. American game animals. The fame and accuracy of the 7mm bullet does not need restating.

Sako Finnsport 300 win mag , a Leupold 3x9x40 scope with a CPC reticle bedded and tuned 1984 by Master Gunsmith Ellis Simon (deceased) .I've loaded Nosler,Sierra,Speer & Hornaday bullets. My overall favorite is Nosler especially the Solid Base Bullets back in production in fact using my bedded & tuned Sako Finnbear 06 I fired a 3/8 inch 5 shot group with 165gr Nosler Solid Base Bullets, CCI large rifle primers and 58gr of IMR 4831 in 06 brass.While on hunting trips in NW Colrado I surveyed the hunters in the Little Hills Public Camp( prior to the rum,wsm,etc) to find out the most popular caliber and the overwhelming winner was the 300 win mag.

Interesting results so far. I would have guessed that the 300 WM #1 and 7mmRM #2. But I would have thought that the 300 WSM would have been #3 over the the 338 WM and the 300 RUM would have been more popular.
Maybe its just too early to judge. :?:

JD338

Perhaps if the original question had been posted as "What ONE magnum would you choose to hunt ALL big game found in the 48 states".

Som how i always get back to the 7rem mag, now i shoot the Sako Finnligth whit a zeizz victory 2.4-10x50... Whit 160 acubonded.

Well guys tomorrow I head out to pick up my 308 Norma Mag.. Then the load testing starts, clicks figured out, Groundhogs to hunt. It will be a long night at work, waited 3 months, guess I can wait several more hours.
transonic

The 7 mag is my choice, and go to rifle when I hunt muleys out of state. I am a firm believer, however, that the real potential of a 7 mag is achieved by reloading for it.

These all have sounded like great choices for rifles. This pole has caused me to almost re-think my pick. I will have to go with the 338 Win Mag. This cartridge has never let me down on elk. A 210PT drops them in their tracks. I would have to say that a 270Wby will take a second place for me.

I have changed my mind on the Uber Mag choice I stated before. Whereas previously I voted to have a 416 Weatherby for dangerous-like game, now, after running some ballistics and such I am very impressed with the 378 Weatherby.

Other than that, I'll still stick with my 300 Weatherby!

Back