Timney Trigger Vs Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 Trigger

338winmag

Handloader
Jan 9, 2011
I just installed a new timney trigger in my Weatherby Vanguard Series 1 rifle which most know this rifle's trigger had a reputation of "just not the greatest". I did not have to make any modifications at all to the rifle stock. The trigger works! :) Timney states in their documentation that the trigger is factory set at 3 pounds. I am going to have to take their word for it since I do not have a trigger pull tester. (Looks like I am going to go out and purchase a Lyman Trigger Pull Gage - :( )

The trigger works! :) No creep. Just trigger sqeeze and click. ...but .....

I now have 2 Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 rifles with a two stage trigger and also have a friend who has a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 rifle. All different calibers. Aside from the first stage on the Vanguard Series 2, I am not convinved this Timney trigger is something to be "shocked and awed about". As a matter of fact, right now, testing these rifles side by side, the Vanguard Series 2 triggers are most definitely better.

Now being open minded, perhaps the Vanguard Series 2 triggers are set a bit lighter than 3 pounds or the Timney is set higher than 3 pounds. I am going to make a lighter adjustment with the Timney and see if that makes a difference (I will edit and advise) but my hat is off to Weatherby. Their two stage Vanguard 2 triggers are very nice.

Anyone able to compare as well?

Thanks
3382inmag

338winmag":2gse5qu0 said:

Not yet, but one of these days I will pick up an S2 .240 Weatherby, and I'll be able to compare an S1 (.223), S2 (.240 Wby.), and a Howa (sorta S1-ish. 7 WSM) I might spring for the Timneys after comparing the two earlier guns to the new one.

BK":ubf3r9to said:
338winmag":ubf3r9to said:

Not yet, but one of these days I will pick up an S2 .240 Weatherby, and I'll be able to compare an S1 (.223), S2 (.240 Wby.), and a Howa (sorta S1-ish. 7 WSM) I might spring for the Timneys after comparing the two earlier guns to the new one.

If you install a Basix 1-3# trigger in your Weaby/Howa, you'll wonder why everybody don't have one in their rifle! They are nice. I have them in my S-1 Vanguards and would not change to any other.

Jim

I've never had issues with the 1st Gen Vanguard trigger - though I've never owned one, only shot others' rifles. I've found them all to be adjustable with care to be as good as a factory rifle needs to be - about 3lbs, crisp, and creep-free with a very little amount of work. That said, I understand not everyone liked them and not everyone could adjust them properly (sear engagement-safety lockout issues). I was excited to try the S2 trigger the first time I got a chance. I'll only say that I don't care for it. It reminds me of the clunky take-up on my Win94, though not quite as much pre-travel. Not a great setup for my shooting style, but your mileage may vary.

I luv my Weatherby Vanguard Series 1 338 Win Mag. My trigger had a lot of creep. I learned to shoot with it but it took a lot of serious concentration anticipating the release every single time. I started reloading and shooting others and a few of those rifles had pretty nice triggers. I then realized I needed to do something.

I did adjust my S1 trigger over 5 separate times. Dry firing was beautiful but after only 1 or two shots each time at the range, it was back to creep.

Anyhow, I decided against going out and buying a trigger pull gage. I can't justify $50-$60 for a couple of tests. I definitely know its not near 1.5 pounds which Timney states is the stopping point so I can live with this nice squeeze-release.

I have seen a mention or two (now three :) ) regarding the Basix 1-3# trigger. Maybe I should have looked into them as well.

Thanks for your comments
338Winmag

The Weatherby S2 trigger is very nice. I have one in 240WBY and am impressed with
the whole package. The two stage takes a little getting used to, as all my Rem 700s
have Shilen triggers.

The Timney I put on my Enfield breaks at about 26-28oz. I didn't adjust a thing on it but I like it the way it is. I'm getting tiny groups with it so there is nothing to improve. That sloppy, long-pulling skinny trigger from 1917 wasn't going to work for me.

The S2 Vanguard I have is making equally small groups. I adjusted nothing on that trigger as well. I like the 2-stage trigger so well I put one on another original Vanguard and again no adjustments were needed. I firmly believe it has made an already rifle a better one.

I know some guys don't like the pre-tension movement of the 2-stage trigger and that's fine. This is still a Land of Choices and having two great triggers out there is just fine with me. I'm 100% in agreement that the trigger on the older Vanguards was their weak point. A friend has one with an excellent trigger. He got it used and there is nothing on it to tweek, improve, or anything like that: just shoot it!

338, if you're close to Huntsville, AL, I'll be more than happy to meet up sometime and you can use my trigger pull gauge.

For all you guys changing out your Vannie triggers, I might be interested in having the old stockers if you don't want them. Can't pay much, but always like to have parts lying around...

Thanks for the kind offer Dubyam. I am a few mile away though. Here in Colorado Springs CO.

I am sure the new Timney is going to help shoot more consistent groups and the enjoyment of the rifle. I am out to the range with it this weekend. :):)

Thanks all.
338winmag

Not to steal the original posting ... Is the Howa rifle line the same as the Vanguards? And how do their triggers compare?

Jim

The Howa is the same basic action as the Vanguard, and the new Howas come with a similarly described two-stage trigger, so I believe it's the same, as well. They are great rifles, too, though they lack a few of the amenities of the Vanguard. It just depends on which amenities you feel you need as to whether or not they are the best deal for you. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if it were in a configuration I wanted.

And at least Weatherby puts a stock on the Vanguard that you would expect on a Weatherby... the crap that Howa is saddling their 1500s with these days is awful.

I had two vanguards. One had a great trigger and the other... well it was replaced with a timney.
Russ

.338, I replaced my Mark V .340 Weatherby trigger with a Timney about 3 years ago. It improved the Japanese built trigger for creep and roughness a great amount, but! It did not equal the triggers in my Model 70's, Mauser-Jewell trigger, or Sako 85 trigger. I suspect that the Timney sear pin is a MIM's part and it has a little creep and feel which the other rifles I own do not have. I have it set at 2.5 pounds and 0.015" engagement which may be too much but it does not fire accidentally. It is adequate.

More great comments thanks.

I have heard alot about the Jewel triggers are sweet too..,
Honestly I did not know nice triggers till I started reloading for others and taking their rifles to the range. Then I said, "Oh now I see what a sweet trigger is." One of them was a Jewel and another was a Timney and one was --> factory trigger in a Winchester Sporter in a 270 caliber.

Thanks all
338winmag

I love the older M70 triggers. A good smith can make them so nice.. The newer MOA triggers are pretty nice as well, with a little adjustment they seem to work just fine. Their pull weight is deceiving sometimes. Being as I only have one newer M70, I am still liking them more, but the MOA is nice.

Brian has a Jewel in his Rem 300 RUM and it is a nice trigger as well. Very nice..

Scotty, I'm with you, man. The trigger on the M70 can be a sweetheart when properly adjusted. I have most of my 5 Winchesters with light, crisp triggers with no overtravel. That '06 I just got is being pig-headed with adjustment of the trigger, but I will come to an understanding with it one way or another, lol.

My dad just put a Vanguard S2 on hold at Cabela's, and I tried the trigger. Super light for a sporter, decently clean break, my only complaint is it has a country mile of overtravel, and no user-adjustable way to tune it out. I'll take a bit more pull weight in exchange for a solid wall behind that trigger when it breaks. Just my preference.

I don't know what the older Vanguard triggers were like, but the S2 is a pretty decent setup, and for a $500 rifle, I'm fairly impressed with what Weatherby is offering, to be honest.

So is a M70 what this was --> "factory trigger in a Winchester Sporter in a 270 caliber"

...cause i got to tell ya, this trigger is really really nice. Everytime I shoot it, I am impressed with the perfect weight and squeeze. Only issue is it takes me one round to remember how sweet it is. :lol:

The trigger on each of my Model 70s is a joy to use. It was one of the features that sold the older Model 70, and the new MOA trigger is as good or better.

Back