Ultimate flat liner?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Just for fun which would you pick for big game and what load?

257 bee
264 WM
270 Bee
7 RM
7 rum

I'm going to go 270Wby every time, Fotis. It is as flat as the 257 with game bullets, and it packs more punch at the same time.

I have experience with the .257 Weatherby and the 7mm Rem mag. Both are great.

For deer & smaller, I'd go with the quarter-bore.

If elk is on the menu, the 7mm would get the nod.

I've heard that the 7mm RUM is a little finicky, but have not direct experience with that. LOTS of case capacity for a mere .28 caliber bullet there.

Guy

Guy Miner":3qrr0iqs said:
I have experience with the .257 Weatherby and the 7mm Rem mag. Both are great.

For deer & smaller, I'd go with the quarter-bore.

If elk is on the menu, the 7mm would get the nod.

I've heard that the 7mm RUM is a little finicky, but have not direct experience with that. LOTS of case capacity for a mere .28 caliber bullet there.

Guy

Guy the Rum will do 3300 fps with the 160 easy. Waiting to get my hands on some AB LR's :twisted:

Charlie-NY":415v1w4s said:
22-243AI with 30gr Berger - 5,200 ft/sec plus

Now that's a flatliner

True but less than useful for big game don't you think? :shock:

I also noticed just now that I forgot to answer the second question - what load?

With the 270Wby, I'd pick either the load I currently use, a 130gr E-Tip over IMR7828ssc with MV=3420fps, or a 150gr Partition or perhaps the new Nosler AccuBond Long Range, over IMR7828, H1000, US869, or RL25, doing about 3200fps MV. Either of those three would be stout enough to take anything that's not trying to take me first, I believe. After hearing about Dr. Mike's experience on moose with the 130gr E-Tip from a 270WSM, I'd have zero reservation about using that on elk/moose, or African plains game.

Does it strike anyone else that the Nosler AccuBond Long Range should be properly abbreviated NABLR? That's also a proper abbreviation for Fotis - the original N-ABLR!

For the ultimate flat liner, I would pick the 7mm RUM.
Load it with the new ABLR's, it should shoot flat as road kill.

JD338

dubyam":1ead1q11 said:
Does it strike anyone else that the Nosler AccuBond Long Range should be properly abbreviated NABLR? That's also a proper abbreviation for Fotis - the original N-ABLR!

En-ablr Thank you sir! :mrgreen:

The more I'm around it, the more I REALLY like the 270 Weatherby. Right now I'm shooting the 140 AB @ 3275. I can't wait to try some of the 150 ABLR bullets! From deer to elk, I think that it can do everything the 7 RM can do. I like them both I guess.

I do like the Idea of trying the 130 ET @ 3400 +.

I would like to try the 270bee :wink: I have shot the win for many years so that few hundred fps extra would be fun especially with the NABLR :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

JD338":1ngvcqhe said:
For the ultimate flat liner, I would pick the 7mm RUM.
Load it with the new ABLR's, it should shoot flat as road kill.

JD338

I think more along this line. It would definately be choosen on the bullet more than mere speed. Bullet terminal performance has been my goal more than trajectory personally. Even the RM would get to where I want easy enough. Then the scope function becomes equally important.

We have our favorites in the flat-liner catagory, many as they may be.

As Dave led, we need to keep in mind the choice of bullets used.

I spoke with an outfitter earlier this week and he has dropped all .270 caliber rifles from the list of allowed hunting rifles in his elk camps. Seven mags and larger are ok.

Just for the record, I have taken several large bulls with a .270 caliber rifle and the very fine 130 gr. Partition bullet, some at distances over 300 yards. So .....

G'Day Fella's,

Fotis, that was a bit difficult to make a choice!
In such situations, if all else fails go with what you know best!
I'll take the 7mm Rem Mag and 140 or 160grn Woodleigh PP SN bullets!!!

Doh!
Homer

For the ultimate "flat line" trajectory, either the .257 Weatherby with 80 grain ttsx's, or the .270 with 85 e-tips or 95 ttsx's.

Back