Wanting to Build a 338-06 Rifle

Mighty Peace

Handloader
Jul 5, 2006
A buddy and I are wanting to build each a 338-06. For my rifle I'm looking at using a Sako m75 GreyWolf or a SS in 30-06. Should a person just rebore the stock barrel or put a new barrel on? If new barrel, what would be the best overall length? If reboring, do you think the accuracy would be as good as a new barrel?

Thanks for the input.

The 338-06 is a great caliber.
If your current barrel isn't already a .338 bore, you are going to need a new barrel anyways. I was talking with my gunsmith this past weekend at a trade show. He was telling me that his personal 338-06AI is pushing a 200 gr BT at 3000 fps. That is 338 Win Mag performance.

JD338

I was told I could rebore the factory barrel from 30-06 to 338 (cost about $400 Canadian) but I may just go with a new barrel. What was the barrel length on the Gunsmith's rifle if you happen to know? I think I will go with a 24" if I go new barrel or the factory Sako barrel is 22 7/8" I believe.

Would you reccommend the AI or the AS version? The AS is the one listing in the Nosler Reload Manual #6, so I probably be leaning towards that one.

I would go with a new 24" barrel.
My gunsmith didn't say but we have discussed this rifle in the past and I do believe its 24". The AI version has a straight case,no taper, and a 40* shoulder increasing case capacity.

JD338

Get one you won't regret it and I'd go with the new barrel vs the rebore. I'd stay around 24" as well on the barrel. Truthfully I wouldn't AI the chamber. I'm shooting 200 grain Hornady bullets @ 2850 fps with 56.5 RL 15 powder so if it is accurate with the max load then you only give up 100 fps to the AI version. That isn't enough of a difference to make me want to mess with it.

I have a 24" tube on my .338-06, and if I had built this rifle I might like it better with a 22" better. I think 24" would be my max length on a woods hunting rifle, I don't mind a 26" if I was mostly hunting open country. What ever you decide AS or AI, 24" or 26" you will have a very capable rifle on most large game animals.

Thanks for all the help/input guys. I settled on a new barrel-probably a PacNor(the gunsmith I have used in the past said about 75% of their customs have PacNor and shoot between 0.25-0.5") in 24" in the 338-06AS.

Now just debating on fluting the barrel and having it powdercoated or getting it bead blasted to be a matte stainless finish to match the Sako Greywolf stainless receiver.

I already have a a safe queen new Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 BC in Gunmetal Grey thats been waiting for a home.

Now another question....should a guy just resize 30-06 brass or go with the Weatherby 338-06 brass already stamped in the caliber?

Mighty Peace":3c572c60 said:
Now another question....should a guy just resize 30-06 brass or go with the Weatherby 338-06 brass already stamped in the caliber?
I don't know if Huntington's ships to Canada but I bought new Norma Brass for mine to get the proper headstamps. 100 pieces of brass cost me right at $100 with shipping. Last I checked it was around $120 per hundred plus shipping. I wouldn't buy the Weatherby cases as they are too expensive and are just Norma brass any way IIRC.

Mighty Peace":380myqn2 said:
A buddy and I are wanting to build each a 338-06. For my rifle I'm looking at using a Sako m75 GreyWolf or a SS in 30-06. Should a person just rebore the stock barrel or put a new barrel on? If new barrel, what would be the best overall length? If reboring, do you think the accuracy would be as good as a new barrel?

Thanks for the input.

Great cartridge and I would lean to the 22-23 inch barrel because you will be using powders of moderate burn rates not the standard powders used for the 30-06 or 270win which burn slower.

Are you 100% fixed on the 338-06? If not you can get a Remington 700 CDL in 35 Whelen it will have the 24 inch barrel and ammo is avalible form Nosler, Remington and you can get new brass for it as well. Check out noslers ammo specification for it and if you reload 180/200/225/250 grain bullets are readaly avalible. For a longer range load the 225gr AccuBond between 2500-2650 fps isn't a slouch and the big arero dynamic bullets hold their speed very well, 300-350 yards should be easy.

Depending on barrel length and contour, fluting will save +/- .5 lb.
I would go with a barrel finish to match the receiver. Add the scope and you will have one fantastic looking rifle for sure.

Not much difference between the 35 Whelen and the 338-06 but you will have a better bullet selection and higher BC's with the .338 cal. Either one will shoot easily out to 350-400 yds with the right bullet and scope set up.

JD338

Well the search is over. I finally found one in Canada (new Sako m75 Grey Wolf in 25-06) for a good price. I searched a long time looking for new or used Grey Wolf in the "IV" action Found a used 30-06GW in excellent shape but the dealer wanted too much for it. Tried 3 different offers. Offered what he wanted but I said to include the GST and shipping and they wouldnt go for-their loss.

I paid less than they wanted with the GST included and to boot its brand new in my home province.

Should have it here next week and then got to find the time to get it to my gunsmith to rebarrel to a 338-06. Going with a 24" barrel (same length as a factory Sako m75 300WM barrel). What barrel manufacturer would you reccommend? Pac-Nor, Douglas, Shilen. Not too much difference in prices from a hunting barrel to a match-grade one.

All opinions would be appreciated. Leaning towards a Pac-Nor as I mentioned in an earlier post.

Now just got to get some 225gr Accubonds and powder. I have a few poundsof the new Winchester Supreme 780 powder. I also have a RL-22, Retumbo, H-1000, 4350, 7828, 380, 414, Varget available too. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. I'll post pics of the rifle when its completed.
:grin:

I have always liked the idea of a 338-06 but ......
JD338 mentioned a 338-06AI and now I am sold :!:

I love this forum.

You mentioned about the 338-06AI. Does RCBS make dies for the 338-06AI? HOw much more for velocity can be expected over the 338-06

Thanks.

I read in a post a few days back about having your smith ream your die with the same reamer he would use on the rifle. That is also a great idea.

Back