Weatherby or Tikka?

richcale

Beginner
Dec 6, 2004
Would you rather have a STS Vanguard or T3? I have a Tikka 695 in 300 Mag. and love it, but I've never shot a Weatherby. The Vanguard is guaranteed to shoot 1.5" groups but I can do that sometimes with a Mossberg 12 ga. Your opinions are appreciated.

The 1.5" guarantee is so that the shooter knows when he or she has a good load. I agree the 1.5" at 200 yards or more - now wee are starting to get impressed.

Dad has a 300 wby in a vanguard which we got for him about 15 years ago. It shoots well, but it is like buying a Dodge with a plain wrapper but when you look under the hood - Oh it's got a hemi.

Just my two cents.

Steve D. the HP

Well the weatherby gauruntee is nothing to brag about, as you already stated. Most factory rifles these days will give you a 1.5" group at 100 yards. The tikka on the other hand gauruntees 1 moa. Never shot a weatherby, but my dad just bought a 7 mag in a tikka T3. only worked up 2 loads for it. 150g Btip with imr-4350 put 4 shots in .45" at 100 yards. Couldn't ask for much better then that. Weatherby's are over rated in my opinion.

richcale,

I agree with the others, Weatherby 1.5" isn't that great. All my M700's shoot under 1 " and a few are under .5" with handloads. My 338 RUM can shoot 1.5" at 300 yds!
Although I have never shot a Tikka, they look very impressive and I have read several good reports on their quality and accuracy.
Of the two choices, I would go with the Tikka.

I have played with dozens of Tikkas. They are awesome! Just like SAKO's. :lol:

I would take the Tikka in a heartbeat. But then Tikkas are quite a bit more money than a Vanguard. The Vanguard is a Howa 1500 dressed up a bit, and it isn't a bad rifle, just that the Tikka is a Sako dressed down a bit and is a higher quality rifle.

I believe in the Tikka. I have just added the third one to my collection. That makes a 22-250 varmint, 270win and a 338win mag. The 22-250 shoots .25" the 270 .5" and I am still working up loads for the 338.

i purchased a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM a couple of months ago and could not be happier with it , except when using a bipod pulled the front sling stud out of the synthetic stock from recoil. I screwed it right back in and it seems to hold fine for slings. I only worked up one load for it (180 gr partitions) and it shot MOA or better out of the box!

Admittedly, I've never shot a weatherby.

Both are good rifles but go tikka. Tikkas are made in Finland, Vanguards are made in Japan.

"Tikkas are made in Finland, Vanguards are made in Japan."

The Japanese have been turning out quality firearms for a long time. Nothing wrong with what you'd get in a Japanese produced Weatherby. Now, if you are speaking of avoiding Japanese products because of the Bataan Death March, I'd have to agree.
My choice would be the Tikka simply because I have had four, own two and enjoyed the accuracy that each one produced. Great shooting rifles with a trigger that is owner friendly, in terms of getting just the trigger pull that YOU want.

I personally have a Vanguard and would pick it any day of the week over the Tikka. Why? Because Tikka's are ugly looking to me, the clip is junk, and I dont like European style stocks. The Vanguard may only guareentee 1.5, but mine shoots everything easily under an inch.

And you Conveinently left out the "SUB MOA" Vanguard. If you dont understand what SUB MOA means, I cant help you. The bolt design in my opinion is far superier, and stronger, on a Vanguard than a Tikka.

roysclockgun":1an8dny2 said:
"Tikkas are made in Finland, Vanguards are made in Japan."

The Japanese have been turning out quality firearms for a long time. .

YUP! I will take a JAP WBY over a USA made one anyday! :wink:

AggieDog":1lu0b7f1 said:
And you Conveinently left out the "SUB MOA" Vanguard. If you dont understand what SUB MOA means, I cant help you.

Who, exactly, were you talking to with this comment?

The Sub MOA Vanguards are approx the same price range as trhe Tikka...They are both nice but I certainly like the 24" bbl on the VG...also a decelerator recoil pad and pillar bedded medalist stock.
The sub MOA is a whole different animal than the std Vanguard.

Actually, the Sub-MOA Vanguards are not pillar bedded, they have a full length aluminum bedding block in the stock. It is the same design as the Mark V Accumark/Ultralight stock. A great stock all around, and handsome to boot.

Pop,

Not arguing but I have a USA made Wby Mark V in 7mm Wby and it shoots wonderfully. I currently have it in pieces on my reload bench and consider it to be a quality firearm. I wouldn't trade it fer nuthin.

In pieces just because I always want to see what makes 'em tick, have not had this one apart yet until tonight.

I have 2 Vanguards and 2 T3's. Both are excellent rifles for the price. Here is what I have found. Both are equally accurate with handloads, the Vanguard is heavier and you will notice the recoil less. The tikka has a poor recoil pad from the factory and will need to be replaced with a limbsaver, 30 bucks.

The T3 is lighter and easier to haul around, the T3 cycles smoother and feeds better than the Vanguard. One is clip and one is internal mag. The tikka mag is well engineer and will feed smoother than my SAKO. However, the opening to the chamber is small on the Tikka and difficult to get into there and clean compared to the Vanguard. The trigger on the Tikka's are excellent, the Vanguards are not and will need to be replaced with a Timneys, 80 bucks.

Between the two, if I had to pick only one, it would be the Tikka. But I have no trouble recommending the Vanguard, especially in 257 Weatherby, its an awesome deer round. Handle both and cycle them, dry fire and see which you like better, that will be the one you should purchase.

Back