Well who is spring bear hunting this year?

a pic of the last spring bear I got. rem 760 35 whelen

Attachments

• HPIM0058.JPG
    HPIM0058.JPG
    937.6 KB · Views: 2,064
Another nice color phase bear, congrats. Who knew the 35 Whelen would be effective on bears :)

RR, that is a good looking bear and taken with a great calibre. The 760 brings back a lot of memories as my hunting partner and his dad both shot the 760 in the 06 :wink:. Doug's dad's name was Buck go figure his has passed now but every year we take his rifle and if we switch to does. I put away my rifle and grab his 06 as he shot it for over 50 years just a respect thing I guess :).
By the way what bullet did you use on that bear?

Blessings,
Dan

A lovely colour phase bear, to be sure, RR. Yeah, I guess the 35 Whelen will do in a pinch. :grin:

The plan is to head back up
North here when the snow goes and try spot and stock on some Blackies. Hope to
Hope to have better luck then the last couple years.

Looks like my cousins daughter still is looking to get a bear with her bow. I will give them a hand putting out some bait and keep tabs on it for them. Last year they were not consistent so I am giving her my honey hole. I will buy a tag just in case I come across one while out in the country but I won't be sitting over a bait unless it is with a video camera trying to capture my cousin and his daughter getting her bear.

I am glad you are helping out your cousin. Putting a young person in a bear stand will never hurt them:). Hope you get the opportunity to video her hunt!!

Blessings,
Dan

I plan on going this spring. Ill take my 35 whelen Handi rifle if I get it set up before then, or it will be my 308 win.

My hunting partner and I drew spring bear tags here in Oregon for the Minam/Imnaha Unit in the far NE corner of the state. We're planning to hunt the Imnaha Unit which is known for a high percentage of blonde and cinnamon color-phase bears.

Oregon has a mentored youth program, where kids between 9-12 can hunt on an adult's tag. Looking forward to taking my two boys (7 and 10), out for a few days in the wall tent. Hopefully, I can get my oldest in front of a nice bruin, and he can fill my tag!

I'll be bringing along my .300 WSM with 180 TSXs, and .338 Winchester with 225 TSXs. Just purchased a .257 WBY Mag in a Vanguard as a birthday present and my little guy's first big game rifle. Season opens on the 15th of April and his birthday is on the 20th. I don't know which one of us is more excited.

Planning to hunt the first week in May, and then back again for a few days around Memorial Day. Here's hoping!

That would be neat to get your boys into some action, TBASTIAN. Wishing you every success.

I have had excellent luck with the 45/70 using 405gr kodiak bonded bullets with H322 in starling brass for 1925fps. The load shot the same as 405gr rem bulk bullets so I had cheap bullets to practice with and saved the koadiaks for hunting.

My original plan was to use my 375 RUM for spring bear this year but recently broke the stock while riding my 6 wheeler. I will probably be using my encore 50 cal muzzleloader over bait, combined with my 300 RUM when spot and stalk. I had hoped to have my savage 99 converted to 358 before baiting season but I doubt that I will get that up and running before bait season.

Some fine bears on here! I sure wish I could pull the trigger on one this year. Didn't draw, and my wife and I are expecting our third kid here in a week or two. So I'm guessing that it is a good thing that I didn't draw this year. I think I'm going to be spending the spring switching from man defense around to the house, to zone.

Best of luck to all with bear tags.

I "had" a bear hunt planned, but will be headed to a destination "wedding" in Hawaii. I would rather be chasing bear in NE Oregon. Good luck you guys, I am waiting to see the photo's. !!!

Bill, you may have to hook up with Russ to see if there is something to hunt while you are in Hawaii.

Mike
I had thought of some "me" time, however the "schedule" will not allow it. The newly weds have a plan for every waking minute. Grandma and me will have to sneak off for quiet time. They even want us traveling with them I he same van. There are 6 of them total. We are slowly disengaging from the fixed schedule, little by little. Bears in southern Oregon sound more attractive every day.

Elkman":2yefny4l said:
Mike
I had thought of some "me" time, however the "schedule" will not allow it. The newly weds have a plan for every waking minute. Grandma and me will have to sneak off for quiet time. They even want us traveling with them I he same van. There are 6 of them total. We are slowly disengaging from the fixed schedule, little by little. Bears in southern Oregon sound more attractive every day.

I fully understand. Love my grandchildren, and love even more some time to myself when the bears are awakening. :grin:

Guys, I think all grandparents think the same way :). We Love them but we need some me time as well.

Blessings,
Dan

There are a lot of bears in the Walla Walla and Wenaha in N.e. Oregon. Old snow can hamper access, but if you can get in and around on the few roads it is a great hunt. Cool country as well. I found a set of tracks during elk season last year that were so big I had to spend some time studying them. Briefly considered grizzly, but no.

Back