What to do with a pretty stock?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Dad removed this from an old shotgun of his because it's cracked through the wrist. He replaced it with another very nice piece of walnut, so the old gun looks great now.

What to do with this? I was thinking 1911 grips, or grips for my S&W revolvers... Dunno... Suggestions? Also, recommendations on who could do that for me? I don't want to mess up a nice chunk of walnut like this.

O5qKoNWh.jpg

a65YOlNh.jpg

Thanks, Guy

Making grips for a 1911 isn[t too awfully hard. I've made a couple that came out nice. Later on I gave them to friends who had damaged grips on their guns. I've hit places like Lowes and Home Depot looking for a nice piece of wood to make one piece grips for a pair of 7.5" Colt single actions I have. Also would like to do the same to an NIB Colt Single action in .44 Spl. Gun is unfired and the cylinder is unturned.
Paul B.

I'm not you so it's not my place to tell you what to do with it, but I think I know what I'd do if I were you. Give it to Hunter24605. Have him make you a turkey call and striker out of that pretty wood, maybe personalize it somehow, and he can have the rest of what's left to sell. Would give you a very nice heirloom from your Dad's old shotgun stock to pass down to the next generations, and the rest of it would be out there as nice pieces also, years from now. Just a suggestion.

Boy, that is a tough question. Pistol grips sounds like a great idea, but I don't know anyone to recommend.

won't be as large of pieces as you think considering the hole up through the stock.
Very true, but 1911 grips and knife scales don't take much at all. Shoot, they're not much different in size, for that matter. And, there are other things to use it for - custom ammunition box, for example, cigar holder, game call (as someone already mentioned), pen barrels; the list goes on.

Very true, but 1911 grips and knife scales don't take much at all. Shoot, they're not much different in size, for that matter. And, there are other things to use it for - custom ammunition box, for example, cigar holder, game call (as someone already mentioned), pen barrels; the list goes on.
that comment was directed at the turkey call post!

It could be professionally restored. I've seen them where the repair is hardly visible. The idea of using it to make grips is also a good one. It is much too pretty to turn into firewood.

Guy,
If you are interested in making grips from that beautiful stock, consider Williams Gunsight.
7389 Lapeer Road Davison, MI 48423
810-653-2131
Their master stock maker is Kevin (can't remember his last name) and he does beautiful work. I know he has talked to Nosler about stocks for the M48 in the past.

JD338

I'm not you so it's not my place to tell you what to do with it, but I think I know what I'd do if I were you. Give it to Hunter24605. Have him make you a turkey call and striker out of that pretty wood, maybe personalize it somehow, and he can have the rest of what's left to sell. Would give you a very nice heirloom from your Dad's old shotgun stock to pass down to the next generations, and the rest of it would be out there as nice pieces also, years from now. Just a suggestion.
the stock has a hole up through the center so a pot call would be tricky.

Back