which bullet for my 243?

DeerTracker

Handloader
Nov 19, 2010
I bought a Remington 700 ADL 243 Win last summer and I had to send it in to get fixed. Didnt have it most of the summer so I never could work up a load for it. As far as factory ammo, it seems to prefer bullets in the 80gr range even though its a 1-9.25" twist or what ever weird twist remington does. But I figure with handloads, I should be able to get it to shoot heavier bullets better. Ive been thinking of running either the 95gr B-Tip, the 90gr E-tip or maybe a 95 or 100gr Partition. Which should I got with? I use the rifle for coyotes, hopefully antelope if i can get drawn for a permit, and deer. Ive also heard rumors of a AccuBond coming for .243. Is this true? If it is, Ill either go with the AccuBond or B-tip. What do ya think?

Any of the bullets you named will serve you well for deer. They also have the juice to tag an antelope. And coyotes just drop into a faint at the thought of any of those bullets flying their direction.

Im leaning heavily towards the B-tip mostly because from what I have heard, it will perform fine on deer size game, its accurate as all get out, and its economical. Its hard to get out and practice with my hunting loads when I know im shooting up Accubonds for my 270 and 300WSM that arent cheap.

I've shot Nosler 100gn solid base bullets from my Rem SPS 243 with good accuracy, even dropped a CA blacktail before we had to use unleaded bullets.

I would usually recommend the 95 gr BT/PT. However given the fact that you 243 likes 80 gr bullets well why not give the 85 gr Partition a try. Very very underrated bullet in 6mm, You should see what it does at 3200-3300 fps

I have had excellent luck with the 95gr BT and IMR7828 in my boys 243. Very good deer killer and seems to penetrate alot better than it should. I haven't really pushed the bullet harder than about 2900, but it works very well. SCotty

I am a firm believer in the 100 grain partions pushed by 45.5 grains of 7828. Kills even big muleys with alot of authority or shoots flat enough wack coyotes at the quarter mile mark and does so without destroying excessive meat or pelt. At 300 +/- yards it will break both shoulders on a mature muley buck and exit, deer is DRT and I have repeated it numerious times. Even inside a 100 yards it will almost go length wise through a muley buck (bullet lodged under the hide in the rump. I am sure that the 95 grain AB will also work well; however personally I have no intension of swithing bullets in my 243.

A few years back I tried a load using 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips with H-4350 that was recommended to me by a person on this site. I am hear to tell you that combination was super accurate in my Ruger .243. I only wish that Ruger would have shot varmint weight bullets that well as I might still have it. At any rate I used the 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip / H-4350 Load (3071 FPS from my 22" Ruger BTW) to take 4 Whitetails and it killed Whitetails like no other bullet I have ever used in a .243 or 6mm in the past. And yes it worked at really long range also when I had to put down a wounded whitetail at 1/4 mile. One shot did the deed.

Larry

I use 100 gr. Partitions exclusively in my 6mm Remington, but that might change if Nosler makes a 95 gr. AccuBond! :shock: Shot lots of coyotes, antelope, deer, and one spike bull elk.

My son's 6mm is using 90 gr. Nosler E-tips and I sure am impressed with them. He has taken antelope, deer, and this year a really nice cow elk at 350 yards with one shot, and she only went about 30 yards before she dropped. He hit her right tight behind her right shoulder and she was quartered just ever so slightly. The bullet EXITED her left shoulder. Check Jeff & Andy get their elk for photo's.

I used to use the 100 gr. Nosler Solid Base Boattail until they stopped making it. Can we still find them now? I have heard we can, but have not seen any floating in a store anyplace? :?:

I just cant decide! If I can find some 95 or 100gr partitions, Im going to try them but I just dont want to buy a whole box and then have my gun not like them. Might try the 85grs and going to try the 95 BTs for sure. Too many choices!

Another vote for the 95gr NBT, almost the perfect deer/dawg bullet.. The perfect deer/dawg bullet is of course the 100gr NBT for the "Bob"!!!! :mrgreen:

^^^ Lots of good (and bad) info on those comments. I like to read about different bullets there as well. Just watch out for some of the less informed reviewers (people that use varmit bullets for elk and what not).

Oh I read comments on there all the time...Wish I had a nickel for everytime someone wrote "Dropped him in his tracks!" I wouldnt have to work anymore thats for sure.

Yeah, me too! I find myself searching through the reviews all the time and try to write good reviews with what I have used. That is the best part of Midway. Scotty

I use the 95 gr BT over 37gr RL15 for my hunting load. I have a 110 Savage 243win 9.25 twist. very effective on deer.

Back