Which Partition for 270 Win for Elk

Az Frank

Beginner
Oct 28, 2004
I use a 270 Win and have loaded 130 gr Partition's for deer; should I go to 150 gr. or even 160 gr. for an elk? Looks like the 150 gr. has a better ballastic coef, will the extra 20 or so foot-pounds for the 160 make a difference? I usually sight in at 200 yds and anticipate shooting no more than 250 yds at most. Thanks for any advice.

Az Frank

The 150gr Partition is the most popular Partition of the bunch. Now that being said, that won't matter if your gun doesn't shoot them well.

Either the 140, 150, or 160gr will do the job.

The 130grain is very often used for elk, some don't like the lighter weight and I can understand. I have always been a fan of heavier bullets.

You might be suprised at what the 130 Partition can do. I know I was. Several years ago I went deer hunting in Colorado and, as there was some Elk season left, bought an Elk tag as sort of an after thought. As luck would have it I saw no deer at all but did take a pretty good 5x5 bull. The first shot through the lungs at about 50 yds would have done it but as the animal turned to run I hit him again in the left rear flank. The bullet broke the hip, ran the length of the bull just below the spine, and came out the left shoulder. Range at that time may have been 65-70 yards. Elk made it down the hill about another thirty yards before falling dead. A .270 is really not my choice of Elk caliber but close in as I was it sure got the job done.

I know of a number of Elk killed with a single lung shot, here in B.C., with the .270-130 PT. But, these were usually Cows and Calves on Limited Entry Draws. I don't hunt in Grizzly country, anymore, with anything under a .33 cal., due to the increasing number of fatal and injurious attacks on hunters; when I did, I always used the 150 PT. in my .270s and the 160 in my .280s, with the 180 in my '.06 and .308 Win. rifles. this to me is the minimum for Elk, Moose and fine for everything else in B.C., BUT, as I hunt alone, frequently, a .250, 286 or .300 gr. NP in my .33, 9.3 or .375 rifles makes me feel better.

I couldn't agree more kutenay. Actually, the best rifle for Elk is the one you have in your hand when a big bull is standing in front of you. That said, my caliber of choice for Elk is a .338 Win. Mag. and the bullet is a 250 Partition. I hear stories about how well a slew of smaller calibers and other bullets do on Elk and how they "ain't bullet proof" etc. Bull **** ! I don't live in Elk country where I have weeks to hunt and wait for the perfect shot and Elk hunts are not cheap. If I am going to take an Elk I have to get in there and get it done. (I don't use an outfitter) I need a caliber and bullet capable of hitting hard and driving through from any reasonable angle or range, and I always want an exit wound. This idea that the bullet should stop in the animal "dumping all its energy" there is silly. I have never seen an Elk "shocked" to death. A big exit hole means two holes to let blood out and air in and makes tracking much easier if that is going to be needed. I try to put that Partition on the shoulder going for the other shoulder if possible, trying to break the animal down. The last thing I want to do is follow a wounded Elk around a mountain through the black timber. That reminds me, got that Elk hunt application on my desk as we speak and the deadline is approaching. Good hunting!

I'm also a fan of bigger bullets, bigger holes for elk. I would feel ok using the 150grNP & keeping shots @ your 250yd limit. If I am carrying my .280 in elk country, I use the 160grNP just in case I bump one when hunting deer. I have taken one elk w/ this bullet & it was decisive, between the shoulders, through the spine, out the front of the chest & literally rolled the elk right there.

I always read with a "critical eye" claims about numbers or critters killed and the size of the latest three shot groups. But I'll stick my own neck out anyway...

According to my notes, I've killed 27 elk with a 270. I've also shot elk with my 338-06, 30-06AI, 30-06, 7mmRM, 284W, and in the last two years, three elk with a 243W. The majority of my elk killed with the 270 were with 150gr Partitions. I started following my Dad elk hunting as a kindergartner 41 years ago. Between family, friends, and occassionally filling in as a guide for outfitter friends, I have seen another 50-60 elk killed. The 270 with a 150 gr bullet (sectional density still counts for something--even with "premium" bullets) is indeed a elk cartridge. From point blank to a lasered 430 yards, I have participated in or observed elk killed with 270's. I do believe with a cartridge such as the 270, the choice of bullet may be more important than say, a 338WM.

I load my 270's (I currently own 5 of 'em) for that "worst case" scenario--shooting the south end of that BIG northbound bull at long range. Here in Colorado, as with most states these days, elk season is short. So residents are essentially in the same boat as nonresidents. This becomes more important when a guy draws a tag in a limited license unit.

I also come from the camp of "two holes"-- entrance AND exit holes. I have not killed elk with a huge variety of bullets, but I have shot them with Sierra bt's, Speer GS, Ballistic Tips (Although a fan of Nosler bullets, I do NOT like the ballistic tips for big game), Trophy Bonded, Hornaday's, Barnes X's, Silvertips and Rem Core-lokts. The Barnes penetrate like crazy, and although I consider penetration important, their expansion is rather inconsistent.

This past year my stepson killed a cow that died about 50 yards away from a big bull I shot 14 years ago. At 300 yards, he was about to disappear into the timber, although aiming to put the 150gr PT between his hams, I hit the ball and socket of his hip--the biggest bone on an elk. The back half of the bullet continued on through his intestines, through his lung and the bottom of his heart, and stopped at his chest. He didn't go far. The Partition was definitely the worse for wear, but the rear core, although badly deformed, was still intact.

I am a big fan of the Partition (can you tell?!) because it has been the most consistent in terms of terminal ballistics of all the bullets I have used or seen used. Regardless if it is a 100gr 6mm or a 225 gr 338, the front lead portion is generally gone while the jacket and entire rear portion remain intact. Like many others, I have always complained the front half "wipes off" just a little too easily. I have always wanted a Partition that was just a tad tougher bullet. So... I currently have 4 boxes of 150gr Partiton Golds setting in my reloading cabinet. If I can make them shoot accurately (accuracy DEFINITETLY counts for something), I can't wait to try them on elk. With two cores, a Partition, and a steel core, they are a rather complicated bullet (And expensive. Partiton Gold seconds?--hint, hint). Let's just hope they shoot well.

AZ Frank: If your 270 likes 150grs, great. If it prefers 130grs, great too. If it's a wash, use the 150gr. Either way, go get a elk!

Casey

I shot a Win. Model 70 x 270 for years hunting elk and all of them with 150 gr. bullets of different brands and styles. Never had a "got away". You probably get tired of hearing it but it all comes down to bullet placement. I'm shooting a 7MM now and the only reason I went to it is some of the long ranges we shoot in Eastern Montana for deer, I just made it my deer & elk gun or I'd still be shooting my 270. If the shot is placed right you can kill anything with it in North America, including grizz. Not my choice for grizz but before I went to a 7MM it never worried me when I was in grizz country because of how much trust I had in myself with the 270. After all I spend 1 week a year in grizz country hunting elk with a stick & bow. Shoot whichever you shoot best.

just out curiosity-why not the 140gAB?-it performed great last year on elk in a friends rifle that i worked the load for-dave

Back