which rifle should i use for spring bear?

RogueRiver

Handloader
Mar 13, 2005
1. My rem 760 35 whelen has 2 bears to its credit
2. Rem 7600 35 whelen
3. Marlin guide gun 45/70
4. Contender carbine 45/70
5. M1 Garand

Im leaning towards the guide gun since it hasnt killed anything n shots will be under 50 yrds.
now do i use my cast 430 grn bullets loaded at 1300 fps, 405 rem cl loaded to 1600 fps, 365 cast at 1350fps. Or federal factory 300 grn hp at 1800. I know any will work.

I'm with Jake in this instance--any of the rifles you list will work just fine for bear. The Guide Gun will be a hammer on spring bruin, though.

The Marlin 1895 Guide 45-70 loaded up with a Nosler 300 vr Ballistic Silver Tip
at 2100 fps would poleax any black bear.

JD338

For close range, I'd go with the Marlin. Hard to beat that old core-lokt in close. Either of the 35s would do fine also.

The Garand would be fun, probably a 165 Partition or Grand Slam would be the appropriate bullet. 180 gr commercial should not be fired in them, even the 165s should be backed off a tick for repeated firing. I shoot 46 grains of 4064 with 168 match bullets in mine. You could probably go up a couple grains and still be within the acceptable pressure curve, but you will at best equal .308 performance with a proper Garand load. Still plenty of thump. They are one of the easiest rifles to shoot well from field positions, including snap shots and rapid follow ups. Mine just seems to point and hit like it has radar guidance.

Any of the above well terminate any black bear, I'll be using a 300 win mag loaded with 200gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets @ about 50 yds as well, good luck on your hunt (y)

Lou

Any of those would be great...

The anticipated under 50 yard range screams ".45-70 Marlin" to me...

Garand next year?

Guy

I'd use the 45-70 Guide Gun with virtually any bullet. FWIW - The Speer 400gr JSP has worked exceptionally well on black bears for me.

I'm thinking that I'll carry my 358 Norma Magnum this weekend when I chase bruins. The sole exception would arise if I should find a Skookum load for my 8X68 when I haul it to the range tomorrow.

sell number four, use the money to buy a win 71 348. After you use it for this years bear hunt, the only negative I can see is that 1, 2, 3, and 5 will never get out of the safe again

DrMike":33ylpc72 said:
I'm thinking that I'll carry my 358 Norma Magnum this weekend when I chase bruins. The sole exception would arise if I should find a Skookum load for my 8X68 when I haul it to the range tomorrow.

Which bullets are you working with Mike?

Scotty,

In the 8X68 I loading 200 grain A-Frames (3021 fps), 180 grain E-Tips (3100 fps) and 196 grain Oryx (3132 fps). Any of these will deliver a smashing blow to a bear. I working up a load in the 358 with 200 grain TSX at a projected 3198 fps, though the load I will likely carry is a 250 grain A-Frame at 2706 fps. I rather think either of these will work very well for bear. I'm receiving reports of lots of bears moving around, and little traffic in the field due to fires in this area. I should encounter one or two bears, though I will be more focused on getting a bear for Noah and for Susan (Gil's wife). Should be a good hunt.

Wow, that Oryx at 3100 should be WICKED.

As should that TSX at 3200! Wow... I might need to try those in my Newton. Don't tell JD or Fotis though Mike... Might get the boot!

I use a 200 grain TSX at 2700 fps in my 350 RM. It does drop elk with authority. I can only believe that if I can get the accuracy I want out of this 358 NM, this particular load will deliver a smashing blow to any game. I'll likely throttle back on both the Oryx and the E-Tip as I get marginally tighter accuracy at about 100 fps less than max. I'm working the range tomorrow, so I'll have a better idea of what is what. I have twenty 250 grain A-Frames at 2700 fps loaded and ready to go. I just loaded up a series of 280 grain A-Frames for a final test. In my first series of tests they yield just a shade under 2600 fps with single digit standard deviation. Accuracy corresponded to the measured data. I have a moose hunt scheduled next to the Yukon this fall, and that load could be the one to accompany me for that trip. The load does give a smart "shove" on the shoulder when touched off.

Hunting bears from a stand up close is just plain fun. I am a fan of any 35 cal but don't let that 45-70 collect dust when it is SO Perfect for bear hunting under your conditions.

I would opt. for a heavy bullet 350-400 ish grains at say 1800 fps or over as long as it can take the high velocity and is not too tuff like one made stickly for the 458win mag. Perfect time for a buffaloe bore load, lots to choose from.

Back