which rifle should i use for spring bear?

DrMike that 350 will definitely do a number on a big Youkon Moose. How do you like that new piece of glass you put on it?
If you don't mind me asking who is all going on your Yukon adventure :wink:?

Not trying to change the post, I personally have never see anything shot with a 45/70 so I would be carting that if I was going for bear (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I agree with Cheyenne for three reasons. I don't like the contender, I do like the 71, I don't remember the black bears in the lower 48 being that large.

So from your list, either 1 or 2, but 1 has already drew blood, so 2.

Dr Mike, are you hunting with Cheyenne in the Yukon ? I agree with Scotty, that 8 x 68 with a 196 gr Oryx will stop a bear, regardless of the color of the bear. What is your 8 x 68 built on Dr Mike ? Enjoy your bruin hunt this weekend and your moose hunt this fall

Dan,

I'll still be in BC, right at the Yukon border when we go for moose this fall. Kurt is going with me. Now, that should be fun! :mrgreen: The Zeiss works quite well. As has always been the case with me, I'm not overly excited by the 50 mm objective, preferring a 42 or 44 mm objective. Nevertheless, it is what it is.

April,

I would love to hunt with Cheyenne in the Yukon, but she is likely somewhat testy about hunting with an old goat. Maybe she hunts old goats, but she would about have to carry this one just to get him far enough out to shoot him and put him out of his misery. :lol: I'm guessing that the 8X68 with any of the bullets I'm testing will drop a bear. It is built on a newer Model 70 action with a PacNor barrel and topped with a Leica. I'll see how the tests with this particular rifle go today. As it now stands, I'm likely carrying a .358 Norma Magnum loaded with 250 grain A-Frames tomorrow. After that...

That 358 with 250 A-Frames would likely need two bear to slow it down.

Man... I've gotta get the Newton out!

I'm back from a full day at the range. The Big Norma did produce an honest 3200 fps with the 200 grain TSX and an honest 2700 fps with the 250 grain A-Frame. The best accuracy with the TSX was at 3100 fps, so I'll likely look at this more seriously in the next week or so. The big surprise (other than the 8X68S delivering some outstanding accuracy with the 196 grain Oryx and the 200 grain A-Frame) was the .358 Norma Magnum delivering excellent accuracy with the 280 grain A-Frames. I'll do a work up and full measurements in the next couple of days. Velocity is 2562 fps with 280 grains of projectile. That has to deliver a real smack-down on anything hit with it, because it sure lets me know when I pull the trigger!

I understand that. The Newton moves me a touch with the 250's at 2850...

Sounds like you have a couple killers ready to roll.

Oh, yeah, and I'm carrying my 9.3X64 today. Hope we encounter a few bruins. They are out, waddling about--sleek pelts, roly poly and hungry. Noah asked to borrow one of my .280s. He'll be carrying 139 grain Hornady Interlocks today.

That's Great Mike! Good luck to you two out there today.

Hoping you both have some fun out there and close with a fat bruin.

Jamila,

Sana santi, (I think). :wink:

Quite a day. Noah became quite ill and we had to bring him home this morning. Gil and I spent the remainder of the day in the mountains. We encountered rain and snow, but we found moose, elk, whitetails, mule deer and grouse. We cut both grizzly and black bear tracks and scat laid down this morning, but we never found the bears. There is some green poking up, quite lush in some areas. Still, it was great just to be out and in the mountains again.

Next week. If I can still walk, perhaps I'll take Sara out tomorrow after church. She so desperately wants to hunt a bear with her Pa. Well, guess what? Her Pa wants to have her with him when he shoots a bear this spring.

Noah was quite amused on Friday evening as I debated between the 35 Whelen, the 350 Remington Magnum and the 9.3X64 Brenneke. I'm sure he'll be feeling better shortly.

I know the feeling. I'm starting to get my elk rifles for the fall picked out. Thinking I'm going to swap some scopes around a little but the rifles are all looking pretty decent so far.

I think I have decided to make the Newton a primary this Fall. It's consistently shot real well and the VX6 on top doesn't hurt its chances either.

To the original thread, the #2 & 3 rifles would work well, with #2 having the edge on longer shots.

Yukon huntress and Europe have it nailed down, if you are looking for hunting and shooting with a rifle with that edge in class and nostalgia, not to mention a smoother action.

I carried my custom LH Model 700 in 338-06 afield with the good Dr and his 9.3 x 64 yesterday, while Noah "No-See-Um". (previously known as "Two-Shot") packed his Pa's model 70 in 280 Rem.

As SJB358 suggests, it will take several bears to slow down those bullets meant for Black Death that the good Dr intends to loose on those poor unsuspecting bruins! 8)

Still early this year, but the leaves are budding, the grass is coming along fine at the lower elevations exposed to more sun, and along the streams and rivers. Will still need a couple of weeks at the higher elevations for the little snow left to reach the south facing slopes where the grass is just starting to show. Only saw sign of a couple of black bears and a couple grizzlies yesterday, but they are starting to move along the rivers and streams and down out of the higher elevations (respectively). Was good to be out in the bush again yesterday!

Doggone, I enjoy bear hunting. It is my favourite hunt, without question. Just something about getting up close and personal with those beasts. Black stumps in a tangle can get my heart pumping. Culverts espied upon rounding a corner are the stuff of legend. Then, when we do at last spot the bear, stalking close to assess the quality of the bruin heightens the senses in a most marvelous manner. My goodness, but I do love hunting bears. Now, if I can teach my hunting partner not to indulge in childish games such as saying in a sharp tone, "BEAR!" while I'm meditating or thinking carefully about the shot that is going to be required. It is the height of inconsideration to intrude upon such reveries! :twisted:

Dr Mike, Blkram,

sounds like you are enjoying the start of bear season. Best of luck to you both and Noah. I hope Sara does get to take the field with you guys and I hope she gets to see some bears. Dr Mike, the 9.3 x 64--love it!

Sara is quickly becoming my little hunting partner. Her big sister, Hannah, actually accompanied us on one outing for moose last fall. It was good to have her along. She and Sara enjoyed that day with Pa and Noah.

Back