Which Rifle

Vince2

Handloader
Jan 21, 2022
Got the hankering for another rifle.
I’ve got 5.56 rifle and pistol, 6.5 Grendel rifle, 300 Blackout pistol, my main rifle is a .338 Win Maggie, backed up by a 45-70.

So I’m debating between a .375 Ruger and something on the lighter, less expensive end, like a 6.5 Creedmoor, 7-08, or something else.

What do you all suggest?

Vince

Vince, I have a plain old Tikka CTR with an 5.56 - 8 twist. That rifle is so much fun and so cheap to shoot. Easy to load for and just hammers way out there. Totally deer capable as well. Hell on varmints.

7-08 is a great choice if you want bigger. Just depends I guess On what you wanna do with it. Having a 223 you can just lay down and shoot the heck out of is a lot of fun. Love the ARs a lot but I hate chasing brass.

I’m leaning towards a deer/antelope rifle with maybe a coyote or three.

Want something a little bigger than the .223 but smaller than the .338 Maggie. I’m thinking something good for 300 Yards to 500 Yards but most shots around 300 Yards.

Vince

Got the hankering for another rifle.
I’ve got 5.56 rifle and pistol, 6.5 Grendel rifle, 300 Blackout pistol, my main rifle is a .338 Win Maggie, backed up by a 45-70.

So I’m debating between a .375 Ruger and something on the lighter, less expensive end, like a 6.5 Creedmoor, 7-08, or something else.

What do you all suggest?

Vince
That is quite a span in calibers. It allows you to look at quite a variety of cartridges and firing platforms, making it almost impossible to suggest something. As Scotty has stated, a 7-08 will serve you well for most hunting situations.

I’m leaning towards a deer/antelope rifle with maybe a coyote or three.

Want something a little bigger than the .223 but smaller than the .338 Maggie. I’m thinking something good for 300 Yards to 500 Yards but most shots around 300 Yards.

Vince
Sounds like the 7-08 or anything In that capacity range will work nice. If you can find a 9 twist 7-08 you’d really have something. If not the plain old 6.5 CM will do it nicely.

I would agree, a 25-06 or 257 Wby would be great. The only downside to the 25 caliber is finding bullets and brass in these crazy times, but hopefully that changes soon. If you look hard enough you can find them though, plus I've been resizing 30-06 brass to 25-06 as I don't have a 30-06 anymore.
But 6.5 bullets and brass are more available right now and Tikka makes a "plain old 6.5 CM" as Scotty says, lol, with a 24" barrel in an 8 twist that would be real nice.

25-06 is a great suggestion, with the 257 Roberts would be an interesting alternative.
With some longer distances in mind, the 6.5x284 or 6.5 PRC would work well too. Having the 6.5 Grendel adds versatility in the caliber
270 Win always makes the grade here.
7mm-08 is good choice, and the 280 Rem (or AI version) adds even more.
Any of these will work fine for deer and antelope.

Someone said 25-06 ? :)

tXu4Weuh.jpg

It is real nice to have a mild-recoiling, flat-shooting, accurate rifle for deer and antelope. Gentle on the shoulder but quite lethal.

That could be any number of cartridges. Mine happens to be a 25-06, but honestly there must be a dozen or more cartridges that would work. Find the rifle you like, in whatever chambering from that group of 25's, 26's, 27's, 28's... Something will work out.

This is fun, shopping for a rifle for someone else, with their money! LOL!

Guy

Your choices of 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creed. are excellent. The .25 Cals are good choices too. But it comes down to finding something to feed them in these current times.

Yep agree. I like the 7-08 as a deer cartridge and if you're just going to be picking up a random coyote here and there and not a dedicated long range coyote hammer. But as RL 338 stated, it comes down to what you have access to in the way of brass and bullets.

The 257 Roberts in a modern rifle with a long action is no slouch either if you'd like something different. Efficient cartridge that is a gentleman to shoot. Would provide good accuracy with 75-85 grain varmint bullets, and can still zing the heavyweights.

I believe JD stated he hit 3100 with great accuracy with the 115 BT's in his. I may be wrong on what I'm remembering there, maybe if he sees this he can verify.

Lots of choices. Seems like the 6.5 creed or PRC seems to be what is selling new and used these days. Was in a Cabela's store last week.
Looked about Browning X-bolts. 3/4 of the rifles were a 6.5 caliber

Last edited:
Dang, so many choices..Hard to go wrong with 7-08, 257 Bee or 25-06..We have two 6.5 PRC's and they are quite capable of long range, and kill with authority. Relatively easy on the shoulder..

Back