Who wants to spend some of my money? :)

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Have a new Model 70 on layaway at the moment.....now I'm thinking about optics.

Some that I'm considering (in no particular order):

Zeiss Conquest (currently own one in 3-9x40)

Leupold VX-3 (Currently own a Leupold Vari-X II, but none of the VX era)

Meopta MeoStar R1 4-12x40 (I have a pair of 7x42 Meostar binos that I absolutely LOVE)

Thoughts?

It'll sit on an M70 Extreme Weather in 300WSM.

Thanks!

Tough call, Tom. The reach of that 300 just begs for something in a 4-12/4-14/4-16 range, but most of those will be longer than the short action really justifies and may throw off the balance on that rifle. Do you care if the scope is black or silver?

I've heard very good things about the Meopta scopes, but I've also seen the specs on their scopes a few years ago and eye relief was shorter (3") than everything else you've listed, and weight was half a pound heavier than anything else in the same size class. Looking at their specs, it appears they have about 3.5" eye relief for the new MeoPro, and the scopes are now only about 3-6oz heavier than other comparably sized scopes. Pricing is excellent, with a 4-12x50 running $499 for the 4-12, and $399 for the 3-9x42. I am not sure I'd want a 50mm objective on this rifle though, so that limits you to the 3-9x42. A fine scope, no doubt, but do you want more power?

The Zeiss Conquest you already know, and it's my highest recommendation. Tracking is true, glass is superb, and if you shop around, you can find them for reasonable prices, still. The one I have is my favorite glass. It's a 4.5-14x44, on a 300Wby. Perfect match, as far as power of the optics and power of the rifle. For the 300WSM, you'd be well served with the same scope. Only issue is that it's going to be a tad long, but not much. This scope runs 14" long, and right at 17oz (compared to nearly 20oz for the MeoPro). I think it would fit the short action, but it's really going to be your call on whether it looks good to you or not. It's also going to run something like $600-700 at the lowest prices I've seen them lately, and you'll have to find one on sale to get that price. $750-800 is the going rate most places right now.

I'm not a huge Leupold fan as of late. I've seen a high number of failures, as have several folks I know across the country. I know these get fixed by customer service, but the QC in manufacturing has dropped dramatically in the Leupold lines, based on what I've seen. And, frankly, I think you pay more and get less scope, comparably. That's just my opinion, but I won't buy a Leupold at this point.

About the only other thing I'd consider in your position is one of the new Minox scopes. There's a review on this forum you should read. I've looked through them in the store and they appear to have glass comparable to the Conquest. You won't have the selection of powers and objective sizes with them, yet, though, and as such won't be able to get a 40-44mm scope in anything with an adjustable parallax. They do have a 3-15x42, though, and other than not having a parallax adjustment, it's a remarkable set of specs. Length is 12.4" and weight is 14.4oz, so it's short enough and light enough to be a good fit on the short mags. It will have the reach you may want for longer ranges, though you may have a little parallax on higher magnifications at 300-500yds and beyond. This shouldn't be a huge problem, though, as we're not talking about ultra-long distances at ultra-high powers. It could be a problem, though. If you don't mind a 50mm objective, they make this same scope in a 3-15x50 Side Focus model that is the same length, and somehow manages to be only 13.8oz in weight. It's a little shorter on the mounting length, but with a short action it should fit.

That's my opinion - Zeiss Conquest first, Minox second, Meopta third. If you just want a 3-9x40 class scope, any of these is going to run about $350-400 street price, so the pecking order holds for me there, still.

Tom,

Any of the choices you list will serve you well. You list three excellent scopes. Even with my aged eyes, 3-9 is adequate for 98% of the shooting I would ever need to do. Quality of the coatings and reproducible tracking is of more importance to me. Now, about spending some of your money? Send me a black cheque and I'll take care of the rest. :grin:

Tom since you and my son are going to have the exact same rifles, this is my take on it. I really like the 4.5-14x40mm Leupold VX3 and that is the one we are going to put on my son's rifle when he saves up his money for it. It's either that or the 3.5-10x40mm in the VX3, both with the B&C reticle. I think they are plenty short enough so they would not look out of place, and I don't like the 50mm and larger scopes. Another one to consider would be the 2.5-8x36mm VX3. That's a nice compact scope and 8 power would let you stretch your legs with the 300 WSM. All of those are really nice scopes, and I'm with dubyam on the Zeiss Conquest scopes and think they too are great. I have a buddy who has one on his 300 WSM and it's a great scope.
Now if it was just my rifle I was scoping up, I would probably look very hard at the 6x42mm Leupold or even the 6x36mm Leupold, and I would get either one of those with the long range duplex with the holdover dots in it for a reticle. Every rifle that I own has a fixed power scope on it and I'm a firm believer in them. Everything looks the same each and every time you pull it up to your shoulder, and you never have to worry about having not turned the power down on the darn thing and then all of a sudden you are confronted with a 25 yard shot at an animal and you are on 14 power! There is no way that a fixed power scope is not stronger and less prone to failure than a variable power scope as there are not as many moving parts.

+1 on what Dub says.

I don't like 50 mm objectives for any of my hunting scopes, (want the scope mounted as low as possible) because of where my cheek-weld usually ends up being when I pull it up to shoot.

To my aging eyes the Zeiss is the best overall value out there right now. I have looked through several of the new VX3's and Mark 4 scopes to see if things have improved with the new lens coatings Leupold is using and still think the Conquest is clearer and brighter for less money. I just purchased a 3-9 X 40mm Minox to see what it is like, but haven't had a chance to run it through any tests at the range yet. The glass is very clear and worked well just looking through it at dusk in my back yard (neighbors are starting to get used to me doing strange things like this :shock: ).

Having said the above, I will be putting a 4.5-14 X40mm Leupold LR on my 6.5WSM that I am still waiting to get back from the gunsmith. It has a great parallax adjustment and has been used on a yote rifle for the last 5 years that is going to be sold soon. I want a little more magnification for this rifle and parallax adjustments for longer shots out to about 600 yards.

My 300 WSM has a 3.5-10 X42 Swaro that I got lucky finding a couple years ago ($540) or that would have a similar size/magnification in a Zeiss.

Well, heck, let's make it three .300 WSM Extreme Weathers!

I bought a VX3 2.5-8 with an M1 elevation knob off the classifieds at 24HCF, and that's probably going to end up on my M70. If I was starting from scratch, I might look at a VX3 3.5-10x40, but since they are running about $100 more than the Conquest 3-9x40, I would probably end up with the Zeiss.

6x36mm Leupold on my wife's Remington Model 700 MTN rifle in 25-06.
005-1.jpg

6x42mm on my Ruger #1 6mm & 4.5x14x40mm on my son's Ruger MKII 6mm
001-12.jpg

We are always more than eager to assist in helping one of our forum members spend money!! :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen:

Good luck with your choices Tom.
David

Scotty was right....I do like this place. ;)

That's a beaut of a 6mm in the Ruger No1. I sorely miss my father's No1 in 6mm Rem. I'd love to be able to load it up with an AB and see how it performs.

Seems the Extreme Weather's are popular. Just curious what made the others who are getting (or got) them go that route?

I was BADLY tempted by two drop-dead gorgeous Supergrades at Cabela's last night. One was a 300WM, and one was a 30-06. The wood was un-friggin'-real on these rifles. They were a bargain at $1099 for the stocks that they wore. I ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLMOST switched to the 06 Supergrade, but decided I'd be too fussy about protecting the stock while hunting and stayed with the EW.

As for scopes, I know I'll be happy with the Conquest, since I have one already. The Meopta's were reported to have short eye relief, but the current line says 3.5", which is close to the Zeiss at 4". The biggest thing I like about my Conquest besides the clarity and light capabilities is the unchanging eye relief across the magnification range.

I want to like Leupold, but I haven't looked at them in a few years now.

tddeangelo":3knywx3u said:
Seems the Extreme Weather's are popular. Just curious what made the others who are getting (or got) them go that route?

In my case, I wanted another stainless M70, I have always wanted a fluted barrel, and I wanted to give the .300 WSM a try. I think the Howa/Weatherby Vanguard and M70 actions have the least trouble feeding short/fats, and I already have a Howa in 7 WSM (along with a PF M70). And finally, I haven't been super impressed with the last, oh, lets say five, M700s I have purchased.

A nice 2.5-8 or 3.5-10 Leupy would work. The conquests are great also.

You didn't mention what you are hunting or the ranges you will be shooting so I can only assume WT deer and bear in PA plus what ever else you hunt up close or far away.
I would recommend the Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm CDS. I just bought one for my 280 AI and it is bright and crisp, even in low light. The Leupold warranty and customer service is second to none, if you should ever need it.

I can't speak to Meopta scopes but I have a pair of their 10x42mm binoculars and I love them!

JD338

Tom, I like Leupolds. Joel has been really working on me to go with a Conquest and he has probably gotten through my thick head I believe. However, I do like the 3.5x10, 2.5x8 and 4.5x14's Leupolds I have now. They are all excellent. I really think I could hunt forever with the 3.5x10 VX3 and never really want for anything. 10X is nice to have for long shots with a good rest. 3.5 is plenty of low end for close in shooting.

It is hard to not look really hard at the 3x9 Zeiss though. For the money, it is really a bargain. Even if the glass is as good as the Leupold (I know, I know, it is probably a little brighter), it is still a bargain. I think this is what will end up on the 300WBY I have waiting for optics. Scotty

I sure like the VX-IIs. There's better stuff out there, but for my purposes spending more is an excursion into diminishing returns. YMMV.

JD338":1z5jev1z said:
You didn't mention what you are hunting or the ranges you will be shooting so I can only assume WT deer and bear in PA plus what ever else you hunt up close or far away.
I would recommend the Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm CDS. I just bought one for my 280 AI and it is bright and crisp, even in low light. The Leupold warranty and customer service is second to none, if you should ever need it.

I can't speak to Meopta scopes but I have a pair of their 10x42mm binoculars and I love them!

JD338

Guess that would have been helpful, huh? :)

Yeah, mostly whitetails. I don't hunt bear. Never interested me much, and the odds of a PA bear are real low. Not my cup of tea.

Anyway, my shooting generally will fall into the 0-200 yard range, with occasional shooting out as far as 400. I also take a week each fall and hunt in October in North Carolina. Shooting there is typically in the 50-300 yard range. It can get real dark, though, at 30 min past sunset when the trees are in full leaf.

I've really never wanted for more power than a 9x. Not seriously, anyway. I love, love, love my Conquest that I own now (3-9x40), but I figured I'd take a look around. Meopta's stuff is appealing to me. The bino's I have from them are oustanding.

I do not want an objective substantially larger than 40mm. With the quality of the glass in the Conquest (or similar), I don't find it necessary, and I don't like the bulk of such scopes or how high they typically need to be mounted.

Oh, and Scotty....if you're gonna get me to try Noslers over Hornady, you need to think about a dang Zeiss over Leupold. At least think about one. :)

tddeangelo":2t4onbxi said:
JD338":2t4onbxi said:

JD338

Guess that would have been helpful, huh? :)

Yeah, mostly whitetails. I don't hunt bear. Never interested me much, and the odds of a PA bear are real low. Not my cup of tea.

Anyway, my shooting generally will fall into the 0-200 yard range, with occasional shooting out as far as 400. I also take a week each fall and hunt in October in North Carolina. Shooting there is typically in the 50-300 yard range. It can get real dark, though, at 30 min past sunset when the trees are in full leaf.

I've really never wanted for more power than a 9x. Not seriously, anyway. I love, love, love my Conquest that I own now (3-9x40), but I figured I'd take a look around. Meopta's stuff is appealing to me. The bino's I have from them are oustanding.

I do not want an objective substantially larger than 40mm. With the quality of the glass in the Conquest (or similar), I don't find it necessary, and I don't like the bulk of such scopes or how high they typically need to be mounted.

Oh, and Scotty....if you're gonna get me to try Noslers over Hornady, you need to think about a dang Zeiss over Leupold. At least think about one. :)

My favorite Leupold scope is the VX-3 2.5-8x36mm. This scope is perfect for WT deer hunting. It is crisp and bright for those early morning and late evening big bucks. I have had no trouble using this scope set on 8x and holding on a 6" black bullseye at 500 yds. For your kind of hunting, its all the scope you will ever need.

JD338

Already thinking about it. Still waiting on some other stuff to show up first. Once I get a handle on my stuff, I may order one. I do like the looks of them. I think that 3x9 would be just about perfect on my 300WBY. Scotty

beretzs":31k715dd said:

Already thinking about it. Still waiting on some other stuff to show up first. Once I get a handle on my stuff, I may order one. I do like the looks of them. I think that 3x9 would be just about perfect on my 300WBY. Scotty

Good!

Of course, now I'm really thinking hard about a VX3 in 2.5-8 (which, by the way, is really 2.6-7.8, I was wondering how they got the 3x ratio till I was on Leupold's site, lol). Thinking hard about the B&C reticle, too. It's pricey, but I like it. The Zeiss "Rapid Z" is cool, but I think too fine and too busy for my taste. Price is similar between the two for similar reticles and scope specs.

tddeangelo":16g9yoci said:
beretzs":16g9yoci said:

Good!

Of course, now I'm really thinking hard about a VX3 in 2.5-8 (which, by the way, is really 2.6-7.8, I was wondering how they got the 3x ratio till I was on Leupold's site, lol). Thinking hard about the B&C reticle, too. It's pricey, but I like it. The Zeiss "Rapid Z" is cool, but I think too fine and too busy for my taste. Price is similar between the two for similar reticles and scope specs.

Tom, I have that same 2.5x8 with the B&C reticle on my 338WM. Favorite scope I own. 8X is way more than enough magnification for anything I would ever hunt and I do like the B&C reticle. Pretty useful and very easy to learn. Scotty

beretzs":1amkyykr said:
Tom, I have that same 2.5x8 with the B&C reticle on my 338WM. Favorite scope I own. 8X is way more than enough magnification for anything I would ever hunt and I do like the B&C reticle. Pretty useful and very easy to learn. Scotty

The price isn't too bad on those scopes, so that's what I'm thinking right now. My thoughts right now are that I'll set up the '06 to be more of my "intermediate" gun, keeping the 3-9x40 Conquest on it.

Then the .257 Bob can be more of a fun or fair weather gun, BUT, my kids will be using it, so I will eventually want to drop a good scope on it. I forget what model Leupold is on it, but it's a 1.5-5x30-ish model (no objective bell). VERY fine taper reticle, too. Really not my favorite scope setup at all. I have a 3-9x40 Vari-X II sitting around doing nothing, so that may get the nod for the 257 for now, but I'd like to see a Conquest on that in due time. Probably next spring.

But that leaves the 300WSM, which I'd like to set up to pretty much take it all on. Short or long, deer or elk. That means a drop-compensating reticle sure would be sweet to have on that one.

I'm also thinking of looking for some 1-1/4" QD sling swivels and slapping a Turner sling on the 300WSM. Just because... :)

That VXII would be a great scope for the 257. Once you get your 45-70, the 1.5x5 would be sweet on that rifle.

I just got the Montana Sling and it seems pretty robust. Very stiff, but I imagine as I work with it, and keep treating it, it will get tuned up. Scotty

Back