Wife's new rifle

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
Last Monday my wife and I took a road trip to Scheels. We weren't looking for anything, just getting out of the house.
I always head for the guns and she joins me there later. On this occasion I found a Browning Hells Canyon in 6.5 Creedmoor topped with a Leupold Freedom 4-12x40. The scope had a burnt bronze finish, which was very similar to the ceracoat on the rifle. I showed it to her because I thought it was a nice looking rig. To my surprise she was enamored with it so I bought it for her.

After we got home we went to the range and fired it with several factory loads and also compared it to her previous rifle, a Tikka T3x Compact in 6.5 CM. The factory loads were ok but nothing to get excited about. Her hunting ammo, however, shot pretty good. This is 120 BTs over IMR 4064.

We also discovered that the muzzle brake on the Browning let her shoot heavier bullets without undue discomfort as she had with the Tikka and a Remington Model 7 260. She's had two rotator cuff surgeries which makes the shoulder sensitive to recoil. I didn't tell her they were heavier, just let the results speak for themselves. So, this opens the door for experimentation with different loads to see what it/she likes.
20240527_180846.jpg20240527_204441.jpg

Ron

Most handsome rig, and it is made more handsome still with that degree of accuracy.

That's awesome. Congratulations to your bride in her new rifle

JD338

My wife really liked shooting my LH X Bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor, and after harvesting her Arapawa rams in New Zealand with it, bought herself a LH X Bolt Hunter in 6.5 CM when she found one on sale.
As much as she liked her 7mm-08, she prefers her 6.5 CM due to the reduced recoil. I also like the stock configuration; it is comfortable to shoulder, balances well, and helps reduce felt recoil.
I have always found the X Bolts to be accurate with factory ammo, and all 3 of mine (6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC and 270 WSM), and Susan's will shoot less than 1" groups with factory ammo, and even produce 1/2" groups.

Nice "Find". I shot/killed Game with that 120 NBT from a 6.5x284 and its a fine one! I've owned a couple 6.5 CMs, .260s and some smaller 6.5 wildcats. Fine killers and very popular out here in Browning Country, the Hells Canyon rifles too! I've only owned "older" Brownings such as the BLR and a Belgium made BAR. But packed a 1911 over 25yrs! ha I was going to ask what the trigger is like on your wife's rifle, but she seems to shoot it just fine!

It’s amazing how manufactures have stepped up their game in offering colored options of their firearms.

I must confess that my only Browning is my BBR .270 but like all Brownings that I have shot, it too is a shooter. Those Hells Canyon rifles are nice and light to carry and although I'm not one for zany colors on my rifles, I don't find the burnt bronze objectionable at all. Good snag. I'm sure she will do well with it!

Back