Winchester 3006

Co243Win

Beginner
Sep 28, 2009
Hello I am looking for a little help.. I have a Winchester Model 70 Lightweight in a 3006. Here what i going on. It wont pattern ANYTHING !!
I thought it was the scope so i sent it and had it rebuilt. Is it possible that the barrel is shot out? What else could i look at? Please let me know.. Thanks Nic

Co243Win

Welcome to the forum, glad you are here.

We will help you get this figured out but we need more information....

What load(s) are you shooting? Bullet?
What kind of accuracy are you getting?
What are you using for a rest?
What scope are you using?
Has anyone else shot the rifle? Similar results?

What are you going to use the rifle for? Maybe changing to a different bullet might be an option.

JD338

What load(s) are you shooting? Bullet?
I have used 165Ab and the ballistic tips in 150 and 165 and some others around the same weight.

What kind of accuracy are you getting?
None. In 3 shots it is all over

What are you using for a rest?
Lead sled and sand bags.

What scope are you using?
It has a Leupold Vx-II in a 3x9x40

Has anyone else shot the rifle? Similar results?
No . I killed a few deer with it but the last 2 years i have really been shoting it to build a load.

What are you going to use the rifle for? Maybe changing to a different bullet might be an option.
I use it for Elk and deer .

Double check the scope bases and rings.
Also make sure the action screws are tight.

What are the loads? Powder, case, bullet, primer?

When you say all over, how many shots in the group and how big is the group?

JD338

Man, if it is shooting all over the place, and not patterning anything, I would bet you have a loose scope mount or the stock hasn't been snugged down. Unless you have shot alot, like over 5K rounds through the rifle, I would doubt it is shot out. Seems like you are using some of the best known bullets for accuracy in an 06, so I would look at your bases, rings and such. If those don't do anything. Try putting another known good scope on the rifle and see what it does. Seems strange it won't even come up with anything. If it was shooting good, I bet something just loosened up on ya. Scotty

If this has been a rifle that has grouped somewhat in the past, I'm with the rest of the guys that it could be loose scope mounts or action screws. If it is a newer rifle and you have not shot it a lot, maybe it needs some bedding work. Having a rifle pillar and glass bedded can really make a huge difference. I'm assuming the stock is a wood stock? With a lightweight and assuming the barrel is a fairly slender, make sure you wait a couple minutes between each shot on your three shot groups. It can be real important to make sure the front rest is in the same place on the stock every time and just try and be as consistant with each shot as you can. I have a Remington Mountain Rifle in a 25-06 and it is a shooter, but I have to really be consistant with my form when shooting it or my groups get bigger on me! :cry:

I use IMR4350 with 165 gr. Partitions and the Accubonds and that seems to work for ME. My load is 57.4 grs with a Federal large rifle primer and Winchester cases. Of course you would have to start a few grains below that and work up, but it sure shoots for me. Good luck.

What are you using to clean the rifle's bore?

JD338

JD, I'm betting you're spot-on with that last question. A lot of 150-165gr bullets down the bore will eventually leave a nice copper glaze in there.

About the only thing I'd add to the conversation is to have the crown lapped. That could easily cause the problems you're having. So check things in this order, I think:

Clean bore?
Action screws properly tight (not too much, not too little)?
Scope mounts/rings tight? (Again, not too much, not too little...)
Crown smooth and burr free?

Then if none of that works, and the gun used to be accurate and isn't now, check the stock bedding and especially the barrel channel.

dubyam":2npond8e said:
JD, I'm betting you're spot-on with that last question. A lot of 150-165gr bullets down the bore will eventually leave a nice copper glaze in there.

About the only thing I'd add to the conversation is to have the crown lapped. That could easily cause the problems you're having. So check things in this order, I think:

Clean bore?
Action screws properly tight (not too much, not too little)?
Scope mounts/rings tight? (Again, not too much, not too little...)
Crown smooth and burr free?

Then if none of that works, and the gun used to be accurate and isn't now, check the stock bedding and especially the barrel channel.

Spot on buddy!

JD338

Ok here is what i got:

Powder IMR 4064 at 48.2 grains
Case Rp. I think there Remington brass
Primmers are Fed 210
Length is 3.230

The scope mounts are Leupold mounts that i just put on when i got the scope back from them.. It does have a wood stock and floated barrel . And for the screws the hold the it together is there a way to find specs on what they should be? Would a getting a new stock help? I have been cleaning it with one of those copper cleaners .. Thanks for the help..Nic

Thanks for the additional info. We are norrowing it down.....

IMR 4350 was always my go to powder for the 30-06. I would give it a try with either the 150 gr or 165 gr bullets.

Tell us more about the copper cleaning solvents. What brand are you using and how often are you cleaning the bore.

JD338

70 Percent of all 30-06 rifles I have owned and loaded for which is many - will not be that accurate. Even when they are fairly accurate you have to work with some a great deal to find the accurate load. This I find through the years is a common situation concerning the 30-06. I have found with all the cartridges and rifles I have loaded for through the years that the problem I mentioned is more common with the 30-06. The 30-06 can cause a man to question his scope, stock bedding, barrel and chamber, when the only problem is that it will not be consistently accurate. You all know how many 30-06's I have owned, loaded for and some were extremely accurate, some were accurate after much and I mean much work and then some were just not going to get any better than average - and this happened with same make and model of rifle. It is the cartridge whether we want to admit it are not. Also, I say this with the fact that many of you know that I love the 30-06. I said all of this to say that the 30-06 is not the easiest cartridge to get to shoot good on a consistent bases.

If you are cleaning your barrel with Hoppies, and not using a real copper solvent, that is probably your problem. Get some Barnes CR-10 and a good Whirlie brush. It will knock the copper right out of your barrel. I've saved more then one barrel with this method.

Double check the freefloat. The NewHaven guns were famous for never being properly free floated.
Here's another vote for H4350.
Made sure you are using fed 210's and NOT 215's. Stick powders in an .06 don't like too hot a primer.
If you want to try something totally different, try H4831 with 180gr speer flat base bullets. Some rifles just prefer a good flat base bullet.

I will through another fly in the ointment. You could have your barrel too clean. Some rifles need the barrel fouled to shoot well. I once cleaned a 25-06 really well. No copper fouling left at all. Before this really well cleaning the rifle was shooting 1/2 MOA. After the really well cleaning it shot all over the place until I put 20 rounds through it. It started to tighten up and shoot 1/2 MOA again.

This load has shot very accurate in about 90% of the 30-06 bolt rifles I have ever seen.
The powder charge comes from the #4 Sierra manual as the accuracy load. 51.2 grs IMR 4064 with 150 gr bullets 2900 fps from 22" barrel.

1shot is right on, my best load for several 06 was 52 gr. 4064, with the 150, accurate in several rifles.

JD338":3bx9vzew said:
Double check the scope bases and rings.
Also make sure the action screws are tight.

What are the loads? Powder, case, bullet, primer?

When you say all over, how many shots in the group and how big is the group?

JD338

Get the barrel cleaned out. As stated above ensure all screws are tight. Then check the crown with a Q-tip. If any cotton gets pulled off the q-tip as you insert it or while you're taking it out then you have a burr. If all fails return it to the company or have a qualified g/s to look at it.

With a smaller rifle and a whippy barrel, like the Model 70 Lightweight, it may not like being shot in a Lead Sled. You might also want to try some 165 weight bullets. The most accurate factory loads in my Model 70 Composite are the Winchester Supreme 165 grain CT Silvertip bullets. The most accurate handload is a good 165 gr bullet along with IMR 4350.

I think i used Sweets Copper remover. I am going to try a few recipes that you guys have given me and see if anything changes.. Thanks for all the help. Nic

Back