WOW! Am I really the 1st?

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
Cannot believe I could be the 1st one posting on this forum.

I have a new shooting love. Yep, the Thomspon Contender. Talk about fun to shoot, and all the furniture you can put on em, Not to mention all the potential calibers and barrels.

Oh yeh, this is going to be fun.

Long

I remember my first contender, 375 winchester stainless hunter package. I was completely smitten. Got a hold of five boxes of factory ammo and shot up half of them the first time out at 23 dollars a box. Then came hornady dies and 220 gr. flat points, speers 235 gr. semipointed pills and rl#7, settled on 35.5 gr. behind the hornadys and went out and wacked a 250 lb boarhog running through the brush at 10 yards, hitting him in the neck and the bullet went into the hillside and the hog rolled down to the creek bottom. I was completely twitterpated

I think they call it handgun fever.
I have a T/C Contender with a 7x30 Waters barrel and a SSK barrel in 6.5JDJ.
I have been hunting around the house with a S&W 629 Classic in 44 Mag and the 250 gr PT. The neighborhood deer don't like it. :wink:

JD338

For Big Game I use a 44Mag in a Redhawk or 4" 629. Also I use a 30-30AI
Contender for longer shots. For Varmits I use a Super 14 tube in 223 & a
357 Ruger for Armadillo's & such.

JD wrote 'handgun fever', works for me, I'll take it. Oh and its getting worse. Three encore frames, 6 barrels, one competitor, and one xp100. I think I caught it from a freind of mine. I dont know how many he has and I dont think he does either

I must be an old fart, been shooting tenders for about 32 years, shoot mostly encore now but TC's are the best. 8)

I have 5 encore frames, 4 contender frames. I have 14 encore barrels and 9 tender barrels. Everything from 22 lr to 45-70. All I shoot anymore are singleshot pistols. Later.

gravedigger":rpepoycg said:
I have 5 encore frames, 4 contender frames. I have 14 encore barrels and 9 tender barrels. Everything from 22 lr to 45-70. All I shoot anymore are singleshot pistols. Later.

Are you shooting any wildcats?

I have a Contender with a 7x30 Waters and a 6.5 JDJ.
Been thinking of getting a 375 JDJ just for grins.

JD338

The only 3 wildcats I shoot are the .375 JDJ, the .257 Roberts AI and the 280 Rem. AI. I have used the .375 JDJ on deer, wild hogs and a moose hunt. I use the 257 for varmint hunting and I am very pleased with that cartridge. I haven't shot the 280 AI much, I haven't had time. I just purchased some Nosler brass for this round. Later!!!

gravedigger

I have a M700 custom in 280AI. Let me know if you need any load data, I'll be happy to help you out.

JD338

Yep Contenderits stuck me back in 1982.

In 1982 I sold off every long gun I owned and went at it with strictly Handguns.

In the years since I have had my fair share (well and maybe then some) of Handguns.

Cartridges I have hunted with include

.22 LR (Contenders and Savage Sport Striker as well as many others)
.223 Remington (Contenders & Remington XP-100's)
6mm-223 (Custom Remington XP-100 & Contender)
6mm T/CU (Custom Contenders)
.243 Winchester (Encore and Savage Striker)
.250 Savage (Csutom Contender)
7-30 Waters (Contender)
7mm I.H.M.S.A. (Remington XP-100)
.284 Winchester (Encore)
.30-30 Winchester (Contender)
.30-30 Ackley Improved (Contender)
.44 Remington Magnum (a few different Revolvers & Contender)

Currently I have 3 new Stainless-Steel G2 Contender Frames with the following barrels:

Stainless-Steel Super 14 .22 LR Match (3x12x Burris)
Stainless-Steel Super 14 .223 Remington (3x12x Burris)
Blued 10" Bull Barrel in .30 Herrett (2.5x8x Weaver)
Stainless-Steel Super 14 .30-30 Ackley Improved (2.5x8x Weaver)

Not sure what the next barrel is going to be, just know I need at least one more. Future barrels will probably be .45/.410 Vent Rib, .44 Remington Magnum, and maybe another barrel in a Varmint Cartridge.

Larry

I only have one hunting handgun at this time. Want more when the funds allow....

480Ruger1.jpg

T/C Encore Pro-Hunter frame
Blued 12" .480Ruger barrel
Leupold 2X and Leupold rings

Back