Your "most used" rifles???

I don't have a ton of rifles for big-game hunting but both of my Ruger #1B's in 30-06 and 6mm Remington get used and have been used a lot. My .280 AI that I had built on a Model 70 Winchester has only taken one whitetail buck and a cow elk so far, but then I've only had the chance to use it one season. I can see it getting the call quite often!

David

6mm Remington":o75o55bi said:
I don't have a ton of rifles for big-game hunting but both of my Ruger #1B's in 30-06 and 6mm Remington get used and have been used a lot. My .280 AI that I had built on a Model 70 Winchester has only taken one whitetail buck and a cow elk so far, but then I've only had the chance to use it one season. I can see it getting the call quite often!

David

Your 280 Ackley is pretty danged wicked.. It has a heckuva track record so far.

When I read the title of this post my first thought was it was only about center fire rifles but it says most used and I guess I have to retract my post since I forgot all about my first rifle which I still own and shoot which is my Remington 510 Target Master .22 rim fire. Yep I must have close to a million or so rounds threw that rifle and it still puts them where you aim.
I'll have to get a picture of it and post it.
I was 10 or 11 years old when I got it for a birthday gift.

truck driver":id910kbq said:
When I read the title of this post my first thought was it was only about center fire rifles but it says most used and I guess I have to retract my post since I forgot all about my first rifle which I still own and shoot which is my Remington 510 Target Master .22 rim fire. Yep I must have close to a million or so rounds threw that rifle and it still puts them where you aim.

No way, the metal cartridge was not invented until the mid 1800's.................... :lol:

Hope you have a sense of humor ..................... :>)

c. schutte":1f7cb1ap said:
truck driver":1f7cb1ap said:

No way, the metal cartridge was not invented until the mid 1800's.................... :lol:

Hope you have a sense of humor ..................... :>)

BURN! And ZING! Good job, Charles! (y)

Thanks Doc,

TD and I don't really know one another so I'm hoping he is not about 6'6 and a lean 275 lbs with cauliflower ear, bent nose and a mean disposition....................... it that is the case then I'm about to do my maxwell smart imitation.......................

c. schutte":1a5ts9tf said:
Thanks Doc,

TD and I don't really know one another so I'm hoping he is not about 6'6 and a lean 275 lbs with cauliflower ear, bent nose and a mean disposition....................... it that is the case then I'm about to do my maxwell smart imitation.......................
Well I am 6'-0" and go about 275lbs no cauliflower ear or bent nose, but your lucky since I love a good clean joke. (y) Besides I don't get angry I just get even. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow! Some beautiful rifles Bbear and DrMike. Love that Model 94, Bbear and that 270 wsm, Doc.

truck driver":1gdrsof7 said:
c. schutte":1gdrsof7 said:
Thanks Doc,

Well I am 6'-0" and go about 275lbs no cauliflower ear or bent nose, but your lucky since I love a good clean joke. (y) Besides I don't get angry I just get even. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes I am lucky! Thanks...............chs

My Savage 116 in 30-06 with B&C stock is just about as perfect and accurate of a rifle for me as I can think of, and is easily my "go-to" rifle. I'm really loving the handling characteristics of my Tikka 338WM, so it may get the nod more often in the future... You just never know when you may encounter a toothy deer that may charge around here

Mine is a Ruger #1AB in 7x57. Occasionally I will use a .44 mag (Ruger 96/44), 7mm Rem Mag (Winchester model 70), .280 Rem (Remington 700 Mountain) or a 338/06 AI (custom Remington 700) but I always seem to migrate back to my #1. This year will mark my 55th hunting season and 30+ of them have been with this rifle.

It's a 1966 push feed model 70 Winchester , in 300 WM. Chet brown stock, newer trigger, rail with 4.5 X 14 Ziess scope. It's ugly but has taken many elk and deer. The backup rifle is pretty much the same with a 20 degree rail and the same scope. Caliber is 7mm Mashborn, and Bell and Carlson stock both are proven elk killers , glass bedded, and ugly as sin. Both are MOA shooters with the 300 doing a little better. The 300 was purchased used in 1970 , the other a recent trade.

Elkman":p163926y said:
It's a 1966 push feed model 70 Winchester , in 300 WM. Chet brown stock, newer trigger, rail with 4.5 X 14 Ziess scope. It's ugly but has taken many elk and deer. The backup rifle is pretty much the same with a 20 degree rail and the same scope. Caliber is 7mm Mashborn, and Bell and Carlson stock both are proven elk killers , glass bedded, and ugly as sin. Both are MOA shooters with the 300 doing a little better.

Beauty is as beauty does. Your rifles are proven instruments in your hands, Bill. (y)

Dr Mike, Bill

I use a 300 H & H that was made by H & H before world war II. My grandfather used it, my mum and now I. I have no idea how many different animals it has hunted and what number of them. Sometimes if your culling you can run up some high numbers. We had tried to get Guy and Charles to Africa to do some culling for us, but sadly it did not work out. The rifle in question looks like it has been rode hard and put up wet ( you westerners with horses will understand that saying ) but the only way to get that rifle away from me would be to pry it from my cold dead hands

Best Regards

Jamila

Again, there is no accounting for beauty when it comes to a rifle, Jamila. We like what we like, and love what we love. A 300 H&H with some history in the family would qualify as a classic in almost any lexicon.

I'm with the good doctor on this,

Some rifles because of what they have done or who had them before might be the story. It's great to have something of beauty for sure but, a couple great stories that accompany that rifle means more to me.

There is a safe sitting over there in the corner that is Full. I could take any rifle out of it and be completely comfortable hunting whatever I'm in pursuit of, but the one that has had the absolute most field time is my M77 7/08.

That may change somewhat though.....there is a new 338 Fed in the mix now, and it's earning a valid respect verrrry quickly !

We'll see how it goes.

I admit here in writing I haven´t been out for much hunting since I returned from Africa in 2015. The few times I have been out it was with my .300 H&H and a single time with the .270Wea. However that rifle I have that has seen most use is my .333Jeffery..Lots of dent, marks and worn finish

Most is one of 2 Norinco JW-15 .22 bolt actions. Basically an iron curtain era copy of the CZ 452 or vice-versa. A little rough on the outside fit and finish, but they shoot like a CZ. Set up nearly identically with a 6x fixed scope. One lives in the barn, the other in my "gun room." I use them interchangeably for all purpose critters on the farm and practice.

Second most used is my RRA NM AR-15. Shoot this almost exclusively for high-power/EIC.

Third most used is my Swiss K-31 with the swiss products diopter. Use this one for Feldschutzen matches at the local Swiss rifle club and the occasional OTC high power match.

4th most used is the Mauser 98 sporter .280 Rem I hunt with.

Honestly, my "most used" rifle is my favorite rifle, a .22 Marlin 39A. Wonderful rifle!

I was just thinking of my centerfire hunting rifles when I answered initially.

Also - my most used centerfire used to be the "Green Machine" .308 target & SWAT rifle. But I'm not shooting formal competition anymore and have retired from law enforcement, so it's not seeing nearly as much use the past few years.

Guy

Back