Your favorite .270 Win/150 NBT load?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I have the QL data that was so generously worked up for me. :) But what do you .270 users load for the 150 NBT? I have a good load with N560/150PT, but I am using the N560 sparingly ( like my R26!) I have the old standbys ( Hodgdon/IMRs) and some R17 I was considering. But it is getting hot now and I will ( of course) work up to it. Just curious of what you guys like? I have been slowly working up some loads to find what this rifle's "favorite" is. So far, I'm good to go with the 160/150PT, the Hornady 130sp and the Barnes 110TTSX. Since this rifle has a long throat, I can wad the powder to ti w/o a big fuss! ha

That's great Dan! I had bought a pound of R23 for the 338WM, and never got into it. I will try this one with the 150s, the BT & the PT. From what I can read about R23 it is very temp stable too.

I haven't tried R26 with the 150 yet, just the N560. when I get this 160 grain load settled I had planned on trying it then. I was also hoping to even "find" some more R26 by then too! I picked up some more Hunter for my 110TTSX load it likes.

My rifle has a 22" on it now. If I ever rebarrel this thing, I would definitely have another long throat, but 24" barrel. Same diameter too. Although the Shilen #2 is a good fwt barrel, especially on a Mountain Rifle. I used to have Mod 7s made up with "factory take off" Remington Sporter barrels. Best of both worlds!

Might be hard to beat good old H4831 or RL22 for a 150 grain bullet..

I was just thinking how the R22 went wonky in a 280AI/150BT at 74 deg once. It did fine at colder temps but took it to Texas and bolt was stiff. I feel the same about the Extreme powders....faithful as an old dog...always there if need be. :)

Went to the range with just three loads of three each to try. I seated the Nosler 150 BT .030" off the lands. I used 1x fired ( in this rifle) sized with .006 Redding SH, prepped and crimped. Br2 primer over R23. Range was full so no chrono. rifle is zeroed +2" at 100 w/110 TTSX handload of 62.5/Hunter,

56gr was mild, went into .62" and exactly same zero as 110. Wonderful.
57 gr, still mild, went in .93", rounded group. Same zero
58gr had a bit harder bolt lift, went into .52, rounded and +2 but 1" left.

It could be that the cases just need to be sized down with a .002 Redding SH. Primer looked fine. QK shows 58 to be right at 64K for 2950 guesstimate. It could be more in my rifle. I figure that I'm around 2880 to 2900 in my 22" with the 56gr, more or less. It is plenty fast for 300yd and less hunting for me!

I also took the time to zero my Mod 94BB .375 with the Buffalo Bore 255fn Heavy 38-55 loads. This rifle has a Limbsaver pad and is Magnaported, and I'm glad! It still felt like 444 with this loading. I had made a 5" square on white background for an aiming point. I like to hold on 6 o'clock with the top of the front bead ( I use a peep sight) and have the bullets hit +2" higher than that. I used to use a 4" black square 30yrs ago...something happened to my eyes! Even with eyeglasses, I had a tough time using the 5", but I got it into the black enough to work just fine. I should have used a 10" square, ha. This ammo is accurate because I didn't shoot for group ($3 a pop) but it dialed right in with the Williams FP. I only shot 5rds. I had the rifle zeroed with some Beartooth 265 GC and the first BB rd was about 9" high and 4" left. No surprise, this little rifle feels like a Mod 9422 its so light! I will check it later on at 25 to 75 and see where it hits. I may have to bring it down more. I remember elmer keith writing that he liked a 60yd zero for a "woods load". I like how the +2 above works out further with simple hold with center of the bead at 150 and bottom of bead at 200. Works for several calibers, or very close. Not that I have ever shot game that far. My peep sight record is 150yds and that was with a 50cal Muzzleloader with 110 Pyro and 240XTP .44 in a sabot on a spike mule deer. Same same. :)

Back