270 rookie

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
After having good luck with a couple of Savage combos (6.5 Creedmoor and 7mm-08) I decided to try a 270 after finding them on sale. New to the 270 and will start out loading some 130 Ballistic Tips and Accubonds.
Always said I’d never have a 270 as that is what my brother started with and I started with 30.06. Didn’t want a Mag and 6.5 x 284 Norma didn’t really appeal to me either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I hope you enjoy your 270. Kicks a little, performs a lot. It’s probably my favorite cartridge for deer, shoots flat, easy to make accurate ammo and performance is great on deer and even elk with good Bullets. Count me in a fan. If you have some RL26, 22, 23, 7828, H4831, etc your load work wont take long.

In the .270Win...130 grain bullets and H4831 powder go together like apple pie and vanilla ice cream.

Some of the new powders like IMR 4955 and RL26 can do previously unheard of things in most cartridges and the .270 is no exception. I'm loading the 145 ELDX over IMR4955 for 2950fps and it makes a flat shooting and hard hitting combination.

I have or have had several Savages(112J 25-06, 10FP 308, 16 300 WSM, and a Stevens 200 243) All were exceptional shooters, scary accurate right out of the box. The 112J made in 1976 was a single shot palm swell grip beaver front wood stock and 26" heavy barrel, it had a super slow twist(1:12 or 14) and wouldn't shoot heavy bullets, but oh man 85 grs on top of a big scoop of 4350 vaporized stuff way out there and shot some unbelievable groups.

We never owned a 270 of any type but my dad did load it for a buddy, 130gr SBT and a scoop of 4350 was wicked on whitetails. Best of luck with it.

I have been hand loading for 40 years and have owned 270s and have loaded for a good number of others and I have never seen one that would not shoot 60 gr H4831, Remington cases, CCI- BR-2, with 130 gr bullets, mainly Nos. BTs and Sierra GK. DEADLY on deer. I know that this is a bit more powder than some current data list but this used to be the load that was right on the bottle of H4831 and I was using this load before the powder came in plastic bottles. Of course you must work up to this load in your rifle because it is about max. Oh and 58 grs H4831 has been the standard load for 150 gr bullets.

1Shot":ecb4za4n said:
I have been hand loading for 40 years and have owned 270s and have loaded for a good number of others and I have never seen one that would not shoot 60 gr H4831, Remington cases, CCI- BR-2, with 130 gr bullets, mainly Nos. BTs and Sierra GK. DEADLY on deer. I know that this is a bit more powder than some current data list but this used to be the load that was right on the bottle of H4831 and I was using this load before the powder came in plastic bottles. Of course you must work up to this load in your rifle because it is about max. Oh and 58 grs H4831 has been the standard load for 150 gr bullets.

That right there is gold fellas. It’s the exact way I sent my little brother when he started loading. It’s a great powder and accuracy is usually great, speeds are around 3050 for 130’s, 3000 for 140’s and 2900-2950 for 150’s.

Might want to read some articles re the 270. The great Ross Seyfried was a big fan of the 270 Winchester for hunting an incredible variety of game. Ross made the case that the 270 kicked light enough for anyone to shoot well, and yet was plenty lethal for most game.

His articles are still available online.

Guy

Isn't Gerry using some surprisingly heavy 270 bullets for his British Columbia hunting?

Guy Miner":25hbd20a said:
Isn't Gerry using some surprisingly heavy 270 bullets for his British Columbia hunting?

I believe he is a big user of the 150 BT and 160 Partitions.

With today’s powders, the 150’s at 3000+ are pretty slippery and really do a bunch of work.

SJB358":3czavk1g said:
Guy Miner":3czavk1g said:

With today’s powders, the 150’s at 3000+ are pretty slippery and really do a bunch of work.

That is correct, 150 BT and 160 gr Partition with IMR 7977. Taken several deer with the 150 gr Ballistic Tip and 3 bears now with the 160 gr Partition. Very happy with both of those bullets.

My nephew started out his with the 140 Gameking HPBT and hasn't bothered to try other bullets..Not saying its the best, but it sure is a top-notch performer on whitetail, pigs and a few black bears. No slouch in the accuracy department either.

I've played with/shot/ many .270 win rifles, since '98, but never hunted with them ( well, I hunted, but never seemed to kill but one jackrabbit and finished off a big Spanish goat for my god-son...both around 15yds and the 140 Failsafe, ha! So I'm a .270 rookie on hunting with them. Circumstance, from caprice to necessity, saw me either trading them or sell to buy something else. But the .270 I'm working on getting now will make #10 for me! So, I like the round, no doubt! ha My last was an older '80 Model 700 Classic that had a long throat. Since I was able to seat my bullets further out, I could use 62gr/H4831sc in Nosler case behind the Hornady 130sp. Wicked fast and very accurate!

My experience with the .270 is long but thin. I got my first one back in 1973 for $75.00. It was based on a commercial FN Mauser action and I planned to use the action for something else. I don't even remember what. The rifle was very light with a soda straw 24" barrel and whatever the stock was made of it sure wasn't walnut. Methinks it's probably beech or something similar. They say don't shoot the donor and I guess I should not have but I did and is was way too accurate to use for a build. However, to quote Jack O'Connor, "That stock was so ugly it would abort a lady crocodile."I did some limited reloading and hunting with it starting out with the favored 130 gr. bullets. I didn't like the mess it made out of good eating meat so went with 150 gr. on the advice of a friend. I took maybe five deer with it and set it aside.A few years latter, like sometime in the early 1980's I found a Ruger #1A in .270. The guy selling it has floated the barrel at the muzzle and said it still wouldn't shoot. I gambled on it and today it will run right around one inch with the 150 gr. Sierra Game King. Never did take it hunting. Around 1985 or 6 I came into another FN Commercial with two stocks, both glass bedded to the barreled action. That one is sub-MOA with everything I've shot through it but again, I never took it hunting. Right around 1990 I saw what looked like a Winchester M70 Featherweight with a black synthetic stock. It too was a .270. The guy was asking $400 for it with a Leupold 3x9 scope. He swore it was sighted in and very accurate. I figured what the hell. I needed another used .270 like a hole in my head but I bought it. Picked up a couple boxes of Winchester 150 gr. Power Points and went to the range the next day. He was not lying. I shot four 5 shot groups and the largest was .80" and the smallest slightly over a half inch. It shot my hands just as tight as the factory ammo. Turned out is was the XTR model and that black stock was a McMillan. :shock: Seems Winchester made a few rifles using stocks from McMillan. I also have a .300 Win. Mag. with the McMillan factory stock. I took that last .270 on my first ever antelope hunt stoked with my 150 gr. hand load and after an easy half mile stalk got my goat as 75 yards.
My load is 57.5 gr. of WMR (Winchester Magnum Rifle) powder. according to Winchester in their load booklet #15 that gives 2850 FPS and 58,200 P.S.I., I get2890 FPS from the 24" barrel. I can use the same load with the 150 gr. Nosler Partition with equal accuracy and don't even have to bother readjusting the scope. The bad news is Winchester dropped that powder about 10 years ago. Prior to that powder I used the standard H4831 loads
I like the .270. I just don't use it all that much. Maybe I just change, ya think? (y)
Paul B.

I have owned or used 4 or 5 270Wins over the years. Bought my son and grandson a 270 for their first deer rifle. I load IMR 4831 with different 130 gr bullets. Grandson Landon used a 130 gr Nosler AB this year with good results. Hard to beat a 270 WIN. Dan.

Love the 270, 59g of 4831sc and a 130g Nosler BT or Partition is tough to beat. I get right around 3000 fps with this load. It good on anything except the big bears.

Jon

SJB358":aghbs211 said:
Well, I hope you enjoy your 270. Kicks a little, performs a lot. It’s probably my favorite cartridge for deer, shoots flat, easy to make accurate ammo and performance is great on deer and even elk with good Bullets. Count me in a fan. If you have some RL26, 22, 23, 7828, H4831, etc your load work wont take long.
RL22 and H4831 work for me and a friend as well. Hell, I'm having my .270 rebarreled with a brux as we speak. I had to have that chambering again. Old JOC was right on.... (y)

I started off my Godson with the .270, that old Belgium BAR, but the next year I bought him his own. I had picked up an old Savage 110 in .270, and it came apart on us zeroing it. I had an older, wood stocked Mod 700 ADL .270 on layaway at a LGS, for a project I had in mind. I took him straight there, bought the rifle, took it to my gunsmith and had it cleaned up, trigger adjusted. I put a 3x9 Burris on it and zeroed it with Lite Magnum 140 IB. Next day we went to the exotic game place. He shot a 4 Horned sheep and a Fallow doe, easy peasy! I later had the rifle reblued, the stock refinished, etc. I gave a Mod 700 .270 BDL (reblued, engraved" and set in a AAA English walnut stock for my Marine SIL's return from Iraq (2nd tour) I had worked up a load with the 140 NAB for it, also had a 3x9 Burris FFII BPLEX ( for the money, I find them very good scope) I also recommend a .270 when someone asks me "what to start on or give as a present". I love many other calibers, but a .270 just does so many things well with wads of factory loads for non-Looneys. :)

gerry":2s3suueh said:
SJB358":2s3suueh said:
Guy Miner":2s3suueh said:

That is correct, 150 BT and 160 gr Partition with IMR 7977. Taken several deer with the 150 gr Ballistic Tip and 3 bears now with the 160 gr Partition. Very happy with both of those bullets.
>>>> what velocities did you get with them ?

For game up to 400lb live weight a 270w loaded with 130gr Nosler BT, Sierra GK, or Hornady SSTs. Will absolutely flatten anything you will hunt. Including Black Bears. As a Moose or Elk cartridge I would look at the 150gr AccuBond LR ;for longish pokes out across bogs or parks at these much larger animals, it has a proven history
And even 6/800 lb Grizzly fold right up when hit correctly with the 160 Nosler Partitions, yet it also makes a super Coyote rifle when feed a diet of 90/100 gr Varmit bullets.
With the exception of a Big Brown Bear(1000lb) at a lousy angle there is Nothing a .270W won't do, and do it well.
If a person likes Short Mags or Improved cartridges that is fine but in real life hunting, your 270 will do anything out to
500yds the others claim to do.
Good luck with your new caliber. You will learn to love it.
E

Back