Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:44 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who's hunting with a lever-action this year?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:47 am 

Walked into the little general store in Macwahoc, Me in 2001 to get a Coke, looked up behind the counter a saw 6 very dusty boxes of OLD Winchester .348 ammo. Asked if I could look at a box, they had some oxidation on bullet tips. Late 40's/ early 50's vintage. Marked $15 a box. Asked the gal how much for all of them, she says how bout $75 bucks. I snaged em. Send 3 boxes to an old dear
friend in Petersburg that still guides Admirality Isle.
Sold the other 3 at gunshows and going price for unopened box of 348s seams to be $100 bill.
E

The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Online Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:12 am 

Good for you Gil. Looking forward to your 348/swift report and which animal you first take with that combo--best of luck.

Also Gil, I think Dr Mike said it was hard to get North Fork bullets, You have to wait on the Swifts and I know Cheyenne said Woodleighs are not always available. What bullet seems to be used in Canada a lot and is always available --maybe nosler ?

Earle, good job. That was a very smart move. I think I would have probably kept one box. I like having things around that was made when I was a kid (-;

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:37 am 

While I know that some people use and like the Woodleighs and North Forks, I just prefer to stick to bullets for which I have reloading manuals for. I know people that have QuickLoad, but I do not.

Hornady used to be the easiest to find, but does not seem to be the case anymore. I tried the Barnes Originals in my 375 Win before, and was not impressed with their performance in the few loads I tried. Will see if the 348 fairs better. I have always liked the A-Frame design (guess it is because it is so much like the Partition which I have used with great success over the years), and so far am liking them in the other calibers I have tried them in. Have not taken much game with them to date, what I have has worked well, and looking to use them more in my levers with detachable magazines (7mm-08, 338 Federal, 358 Win and 284 Win)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:05 am 

Blkram wrote:
While I know that some people use and like the Woodleighs and North Forks, I just prefer to stick to bullets for which I have reloading manuals for. I know people that have QuickLoad, but I do not.

Hornady used to be the easiest to find, but does not seem to be the case anymore. I tried the Barnes Originals in my 375 Win before, and was not impressed with their performance in the few loads I tried. Will see if the 348 fairs better. I have always liked the A-Frame design (guess it is because it is so much like the Partition which I have used with great success over the years), and so far am liking them in the other calibers I have tried them in. Have not taken much game with them to date, what I have has worked well, and looking to use them more in my levers with detachable magazines (7mm-08, 338 Federal, 358 Win and 284 Win)

Gil you have so many cool lever action rifles. Plus you live in a part of the world that allows the harvesting of so many different species. I am envious on both counts.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:51 am 

One of the reasons I like to use my Savage 99 .300 Savage is that it is .30 cal. Easy to find bullets in the states. The cartridge itself is going the way of the .348, though. Going to be hard to find in a short amount of time.
Another reason I like my Savage 99 is that when Arthur Savage designed it, he was way ahead of his time, he put a rotary magazine in it, and it's able to utilize pointed bullets, which means more downrange energy, and flatter trajectory.
But, I'm still a died in the wool classic lever gun person, and wouldn't pass up a chance to own a .348 Winchester.
It just drips nostalgia! Along with the Model 71!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:24 pm 

I take my 307 Model 94 out once in awhile when I’m out deer hunting. Have 3 loads worked up in it using 170 hornady FN, 160 hornady FTX and also the 150 Barnes FNHP. The 170 hornady shoot so well I keep going back to them. I do cheat sometimes in that I have a vintage kahles 2.5 Helia that compliments it very well.
BlkRam if you need cases for your 348 I have a bag of new Winchester that are yours if you want them. BTW I’m north of the border so shipping them to you would be no problem.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:18 pm 

Kingbee, Thanks! And, yes please! Sent PM.

Finally got my Marlin 336ER in 356 Win home! May have to take it out and verify its Leupold 2-7 scope is on and go hunting with it when I finally get a day off work.

Also, just sent an offer on a '94 Big Bore AE in 307 with a beautiful monte carlo stock on it. The lever action collection may be growing again very soon!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:00 am 

I might just be popping that little 2.5x scope back on my 30-30 Glenfield... I like the peep sight, but... I shot it better & more confidently with the little scope.

Hmm... Easy enough to do. That will still leave me one lever action center fire with just sights, my old Savage 99 in 22 Hi Power.

Guy

Online Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:07 pm 

I used a Savage 99 E in .308 to fill my Antlerless deer tag last month. I used the Remington 150 grin Corelokt factory load. It worked perfectly, one and done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:36 am 

filmjunkie4ever wrote:
I used a Savage 99 E in .308 to fill my Antlerless deer tag last month. I used the Remington 150 grin Corelokt factory load. It worked perfectly, one and done!

(y) Excellent!

Online Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:27 am 

I know there are several 348 shooters here so you will be happy to know Hornady has a new 2019 product for you. 200gr FTX Leverevolution ammo, listed at 2560 FPS.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:17 am 

I can not remember all those who use the 348 but I do remember Scotty, Fotis, Cheyenne

What do you guys ( and all and any other 348 users ) think about the new Hornady bullet.

My son still uses his dad's win 71 348 with RL 19 and 250 Woodleigh----are we out of step with the times in reference to powder and bullet ?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:42 am 

I’m using 17 and 250 Woodleighs in mine. It shoots well for me so I don’t plan on changing.

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:31 am 

filmjunkie4ever wrote:

Used to have that same rifle yrs ago with the same ammo and always had good results at woods ranges. I never scoped it and shot it factory sights. Sold it yrs ago, probably shouldn't have.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:36 am 

Europe wrote:
I can not remember all those who use the 348 but I do remember Scotty, Fotis, Cheyenne

What do you guys ( and all and any other 348 users ) think about the new Hornady bullet.

My son still uses his dad's win 71 348 with RL 19 and 250 Woodleigh----are we out of step with the times in reference to powder and bullet ?

I bet it's a deer killer and it's also been available as a reloading component for some time now. I just can't make myself load a plastic tipped bullet into a classic lever gun. I certainly wouldn't look down on anybody that did, but for me I'll probably never test it in that particular rifle.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:21 pm 

I think it's amazing that Hornady makes a new bullet for both the people who still hunt with a 348...

:wink:

Online Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:27 pm 

Guy Miner wrote:
I think it's amazing that Hornady makes a new bullet for both the people who still hunt with a 348...

:wink:
LMAO

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:33 pm 

ShadeTree wrote:
filmjunkie4ever wrote:

Used to have that same rifle yrs ago with the same ammo and always had good results at woods ranges. I never scoped it and shot it factory sights. Sold it yrs ago, probably shouldn't have.

Mine has a Leupold M8-4x on top. Had to replace the buttstock a few years back. I had forgotten what a pleasure it was to carry and shoot. The trigger pull is long and heavy but consistent enough for hunting accuracy. The performance of the 150 grain Corelokt factory loads was ideal.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:29 pm 

[quote="Guy Miner"]I think it's amazing that Hornady makes a new bullet for both the people who still hunt with a 348...

They must be making them for Fotis and someone else because Scotty and I both use Woodleigh and Gill will use Swift.

This is a good time and possibly place to answer the question I have been asked several times. My rifle is simply a tool. Although I have accumulated a few lever rifles and some H & H caliber rifles, I am not a collector or a target shooter. I use the rifle for protection as I am constantly in potentially harms way. I use the rifle for survival when out for extended periods of time. I use the rifle to supply food for my immediate family and extended family. I use the rifle to bring in extra income. I will make sure it is still hitting where I aim it and that is the extent of my target practicing. I dont reload and to be honest have no desire to learn. My husband has been working with my grandfather and he will take over those duties when my grandfather can do longer do so. I have one load for each rifle and never "play" around with different loads. I know that some here thought I was being sarcastic when I once said "I prepare to hunt bears by hunting bears". I wasn't

I have been asked this in different ways several times I hope this explains my position. I have no way of knowing this but I think the only other ones here on the forum that fits in this category is Earle and possibly Don.

Since I dont reload or shoot for fun it has been "suggested" that the Nosler forum is the wrong place for me---maybe, but I enjoy giving Dr Mike, Earle, Don, and April a hard time about what they were doing during the great depression , to leave .

Last but not least Guy, please accept my apologies but taking your thread of course, but I really didn't know where else to put this and I wanted to answer your post (-: Plus I may not get internet again for days

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:52 pm 

Cheyenne. I’d encourage you to post freely at will. I rarely get to the bush as you do, and when I do it’s with the comforts of an outfitter whose doing a far amount of work so I can focus on fishing or hunting. Your lifestyle is more challenging than many of us have experienced,

Thank you for sharing.

To honor Guys thread, I took a black bear with my Marlin 1895 45/70 with red dot as I’m slow with iron sights. That’s the up close vision problem.
I did shoot left handed for the first time to avoid moving.

(Thanks Guy, and Cheyenne!)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:20 pm 

Cheyenne,

I'm in the group that believes we can all learn from your practical experience with whatever you use.
Your insights and expertise are well above average.
Thank you for all of your posts, along with all the other ladies who post on this forum.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:03 am 

Thankful Otter wrote:
Guy Miner wrote:

Last but not least Guy, please accept my apologies but taking your thread of course, but I really didn't know where else to put this and I wanted to answer your post (-: Plus I may not get internet again for days

No apology needed. All is well.

Even for both, or perhaps all three, of those people who still hunt with a 348 Win... :wink:

Guy

Online Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:51 pm 

We are getting another 2" of snow tonite, so will be cinching up the noose on one today if we can pin him down! May be the right day to ditch the scopes and break out the old 99 with peep sight! Only 18 degrees here yesterday morning.
Attachment:
20181110_075546.jpg
20181110_075546.jpg [ 2.16 MiB | Viewed 28 times ]
Attachment:
20181111_154926.jpg
20181111_154926.jpg [ 97.05 KiB | Viewed 27 times ]

Friend took a young buck yesterday here 2 1/2 year old deer but it field dressed 188lbs.
Attachment:
Resized_20181110_090452_4895.jpeg
Resized_20181110_090452_4895.jpeg [ 413.19 KiB | Viewed 27 times ]

The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Online Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:49 am 

Very cool E! Great pictures buddy!

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:01 am 

Chilly out eh?

Congrats to your buddy on his buck. Nice!

Online Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4 Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next