Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:37 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wow - Lot's of Hype for the 6.5s
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:51 am 

I don’t think I’d shoot a bull quartering toward me with a 130 Accubond either... out of a 6.5... or a .270. To be honest though, I also don’t like that shot with most larger guns either. I saw a small mile deer buck stop a .338/225 Accubond on a similar shot... that bullet barely made it through both lungs.... and the .338 Win/225AB combo is excellent elk medicine, in theory.

I’m one of those guys who’s hunted elk enough to respect them a lot. I appreciate their toughness, their tenacity, and their shear size/strength. I understand that there are shots I’d take on a deer, that I won’t take on an elk... regardless of the cartridge in hand. I think it’s a lot easier to pick a good elk cartridge/bullet... if you’re willing to be a little judicious about the shots you’re willing to take.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:24 pm 

teknys--you are correct

just as a very small example

OMG the 300 and 375 H & H ---are unbelievable

OMG the weatherbys rifle --especially the 257, 270, 300, and 340---are unbelievable

OMG the wsm's ----are unbelievable

then we get those that were unbelievable for awhile, went away and are now OMG the 35 Whelen --you guessed it-- are unbelievable

I dont have a creed but I have shot a ton of animals with--OMG--a 6.5 x 55 and what amazes me is everytime I did my part correctly, bingo, meat in the freezer --but OMG, can you imagine how much deader they would have been if I had used a creed (is deader even a word )

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:34 pm 

I think that more and more of our current shooters are doing a lot of target shooting, and trying for excellent precision.

Hunter numbers, sadly, are declining.

Maybe that's a reason why the Creedmoor is doing so well? It was developed as a target cartridge, by a great target shooter. It's certainly popular, and for many of the same reasons that the other mid-power 6.5's probably should have been more popular here in the USA than they were.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:32 pm 

I think Hornady projected the decline in hunter numbers and made a pivot to target shooting. While many compare the 6.5CM to the 6.5 Swed as a hunting round for large big game (elk and moose), most of the moose shot in the Scandinavian countries are shot on drive or the use of dogs. These are not long-range shots.
My problem is not the CM but the projection of a long-range target cartridge to shooting elk with it at long-range. Maybe my issue is long-range shooting at long-range! I shoot a lot but at altitude with adrenaline pumping I am not good enough to make the shots. Therefore, my limit is 400 yards and my 270, 30-06, or 300WM work just fine within these limitation.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:22 am 

I'm not saying that the 6.5 CM isn't an excellent hunting round, either. I love the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser round. Probably my all time favorite hunting/target round.
I know that hunting elk with it is going to be about 250-300 yds max. If I use a sleek projectile, with an excellent sectional density, out to 250-300 yds, I have a really good chance of having elk meat in the freezer. I don't expect an elk to be DRT after shooting it with the 6.5 Swede. That goes the same with the 6.5 CM. Stretching it past that yardage, and the chances of having to track such a magnificent animal for miles increases tremendously. Even shooting an elk at 500 + yds, with a perfect broadside shot is dicey. I'm not questioning marksmanship, just that at those distances, 6.5 bullets don't tend to open much. They don't dump energy into an animal, let's say, like a .280, .30-06, or a .300 Mag does.
Using a 140 gr and up bullet, at those velocities, 400 + yds, they will leave just a pencil sized hole going in, and a pencil sized hole going out. With that being said, I hope a person's tracking skills are top notch, because you'll need them, and the tissue damage is going to be minimal, and the blood trail will be very little.
That's why people use bigger, faster, harder hitting cartridges than the 6.5's.
As Dirty Harry once said," A man's gotta know his limitations!"

Note: Edited to enclose a ballistics chart of the 6.5 CM and the ft.-lbs of energy out to 400 yds. Experts agree that the ft.-lbs to cleanly take an elk is minimal at 1500 lbs.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:28 am 

HAWKEYESATX wrote:
The .280 Rem will outclass the .30-06, and .300 Win Mag at over 500 yds distance.

Sorry for being off topic. :mrgreen:
Not to burst your bubble, I was just confused,,,After reading your above post about hard hitting cartridges at long range,,,on this post you simplified that a .280 outclasses the 300 Magnum? How is that possible?
280 Rem has about 2800 to 3000 ft lbs and the .300 Mag has 4000 ft lbs.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:34 pm 

HAWKEYESATX wrote:
I'm not saying that the 6.5 CM isn't an excellent hunting round, either. I love the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser round. Probably my all time favorite hunting/target round.
I know that hunting elk with it is going to be about 250-300 yds max. If I use a sleek projectile, with an excellent sectional density, out to 250-300 yds, I have a really good chance of having elk meat in the freezer. I don't expect an elk to be DRT after shooting it with the 6.5 Swede. That goes the same with the 6.5 CM. Stretching it past that yardage, and the chances of having to track such a magnificent animal for miles increases tremendously. Even shooting an elk at 500 + yds, with a perfect broadside shot is dicey. I'm not questioning marksmanship, just that at those distances, 6.5 bullets don't tend to open much. They don't dump energy into an animal, let's say, like a .280, .30-06, or a .300 Mag does.
Using a 140 gr and up bullet, at those velocities, 400 + yds, they will leave just a pencil sized hole going in, and a pencil sized hole going out. With that being said, I hope a person's tracking skills are top notch, because you'll need them, and the tissue damage is going to be minimal, and the blood trail will be very little.

Dang..... that big cow elk my son pole-axed with a .260 at 505 yards last fall just jumped outta the freezer, reassembled herself, and ran off after reading that post.... I better go catch her! That 127 LRX went through at least 3 feet of elk clockwork, and exited.... she went down so fast she bounced. Good thing she didn’t know it was a little ole 6.5 bullet.... she’d have ran for miles.

FPE doesn’t kill critters..... neither do ballistic charts. Bullet holes through vital organs kill stuff...

Inside your self imposed limit of 250-300 yards.... you’d never see the difference between a Creed and a .270.... or a 7/08... or any other cornucopia of cartridges.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:56 pm 

Songdog wrote:
HAWKEYESATX wrote:

Dang..... that big cow elk my son pole-axed with a .260 at 505 yards last fall just jumped outta the freezer, reassembled herself, and ran off after reading that post.... I better go catch her! That 127 LRX went through at least 3 feet of elk clockwork, and exited.... she went down so fast she bounced. Good thing she didn’t know it was a little ole 6.5 bullet.... she’d have ran for miles.

FPE doesn’t kill critters..... neither do ballistic charts. Bullet holes through vital organs kill stuff...

Inside your self imposed limit of 250-300 yards.... you’d never see the difference between a Creed and a .270.... or a 7/08... or any other cornucopia of cartridges.

SD, off the topic a bit, but did your boy hit any bones on that cow? That’s pretty impressive stuff though, elk dropping on the spot is a great thing. I think the LRXs are the cats behind in the smaller bores on heavier game though. No worries about the bullet getting far enough through them any longer.

Also agree, good bullets at adequate speed leave dead critters in their wake. If FPE was the key to it all we’d never kill much of anything with our old 45-70’s and BP loads. Not much paper energy but I wouldn’t wanna try and catch one with my mitts either.

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:14 pm 

No Scotty.... no big bones were encountered, as the shot was quartering away. Bullet entered at the last rib, blew-up the liver, got both lungs, exploded the heart, and exited at the neck shoulder junction on the off-side. It was pretty impressive actually. Impact velocity would have been about 2300fps... making the “energy” just barely under that 1500 fpe Mendoza Line.

So... according to the “experts”.... that load is solid for elk at 500 yards.

I’ve seen the 127 LRX clobber deer, elk, antelope, and coyotes.... haven’t seen a critter take a single step after impact. They’re damn good game bullets.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:15 pm 

Songdog wrote:
No Scotty.... no big bones were encountered, as the shot was quartering away. Bullet entered at the last rib, blew-up the liver, got both lungs, exploded the heart, and exited at the neck shoulder junction on the off-side. It was pretty impressive actually. Impact velocity would have been about 2300fps... making the “energy” just barely under that 1500 fpe Mendoza Line.

So... according to the “experts”.... that load is solid for elk at 500 yards.

I’ve seen the 127 LRX clobber deer, elk, antelope, and coyotes.... haven’t seen a critter take a single step after impact. They’re damn good game bullets.

Thanks SD, that’s a good picture of performance. I’m half tempted to carry my 6.5 CM for the cow hunt but I’m dialed with 147’s and as much as I love them on deer I don’t trust them for the same shot you just described your boy took. I’m probably too weary about it but my 7 Mashburn is dialed as well and I know it’ll do that as well. But solid props to the point, they have the juice to do it, with great Bullets and good shooters.

I need to work my 127 load a touch but it wasn’t too bad and ran 2950’ish. About like a 270 and I know they work just fine.

Any tags for the lads and yourself for this fall? Looking forward to seeing more action from your Tikkas.

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:37 am 

TackDriver284 wrote:
HAWKEYESATX wrote:
The .280 Rem will outclass the .30-06, and .300 Win Mag at over 500 yds distance.

Not to burst your bubble, I was just confused,,,After reading your above post about hard hitting cartridges at long range,,,on this post you simplified that a .280 outclasses the 300 Magnum? How is that possible?
You're talking about muzzle energy. Not distances like 500 yds and up where the 7mm bullet has a distinct advantage in BC, and SD, not to mention bullet drop.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:57 am 

Songdog,

Obviously, you're an above average hunter. I'm talking about the average hunter, or below, that thinks, because they have the end to end all other long range cartridges in the 6.5 CM, that because it can ring steel plates out to 1000 yds, means it's going to be an effective hunting cartridge at those distances. It isn't. The uneducated nimrod, which I have seen, and run into when I'm hunting, will undoubtedly take longer shots at game animals than they should, with just regular bullets. And will be using factory ammo, which isn't up to specs to begin with in the muzzle velocity arena.
It sounds like your an avid reloader, and know where your bullet velocities are.
In my opinion, if you get a big bull elk, that has antlers long enough to scratch his ass when he lifts his head is out there at 500 yds +, and you have a 6.5 CM, you mean to tell me you're going to shoot it, and believe the 6.5 CM is going to drop it in one shot, DRT?
In my opinion, the 6.5x55, or the ballistic equivalent 6.5 CM, are good long range target rounds, just not good long range hunting rounds.
In the years past, I've seen green horn hunters shoot bull cattle, and a Mule, thinking they were elk. If you say that that can't happen, it did.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:45 am 

I would absolutely shoot the biggest bull elk on the planet, at 500 yards, with the above mentioned load.... given the shot, and recovery conditions were acceptable.... just like I would with a 7 Mag, or a .300 Mag, or something of the larger ilk.

No... I would absolutely not expect the elk to be DRT... regardless of shot distance... or cartridge being used... of bullet being flung. In my experience, it’s pretty rare to see an elk anchored at the shot.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:11 am 

Songdog wrote:
No... I would absolutely not expect the elk to be DRT... regardless of shot distance... or cartridge being used... of bullet being flung. In my experience, it’s pretty rare to see an elk anchored at the shot.

That's a danged fact right there. Recovery with the "Bigger Gun's" isn't always any better either. I am the worst for using bigger rifles than I probably need to, but after seeing them hit with a bunch between the 270 on up to the 35 Whelen and 338 Win, shot's in vitals with bullets that open enough to wreck internals that kill elk are what counts. All the headstamps and other nonsense is pretty trivial honestly, when in reality, it is the bullet that kills, if it is above the expansion threshold to open up, and has the mass to penetrate, all of the numbers don't mean a ton.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:35 am 

SJB358,

That's what I was getting at, in a round about way, unfortunately.
I've used a .300 Win Mag, and shot an elk within 400 yds with it, and it didn't drop it immediately. I wasn't expecting it to either.
The one shot DRT is not common to say the least, no matter what distance, and which calibers you're using.
As you and Songdog state, bullet placement is the key, no matter the cartridge or power.
Don't get me wrong, I love, love, love the 6.5 cartridges. I've used the 6.5x55 a lot, even well before they became "popular".
I, personally, wouldn't shoot at an elk more than 350 yds, with a 6.5x55.
But that's me. 350 yds is plenty long enough, and I like to get closer to my prey, so I know I can harvest it quickly.
I was with friends one day up in the Wyoming mountains, and we had milk jugs set up with water, and placed them incrementally, from 100 yds to 500 yds.
One friend had his .30-06, and .280, and had the latest lead sled, with the newest scopes with BDC's, and he couldn't hit a single jug. When it came to my turn, I was shooting an old, even at that time, Model 96 Swedish Mauser, with open sights.
I hit every single jug that that guy couldn't hit. Plus, I was just sitting, and aimed carefully.
I do admit, the 6.5x55 is a flat shooting round, even out to 500 yds. I was shooting 140 gr soft point PMC 6.5x55 ammo.
The closer milk jugs, blew up. But the farther ones stayed there, and drained after I hit them.
I embarrassed him, and wasn't meaning to. I was just having fun, with an old, old set up, my trusty 6.5x55 M96 Swedish Mauser, open iron sights.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:23 am 

SD, I was out scouting yesterday and saw a cow elk with a bunch of freezer wrap stuck to her sides. Must have been yours reassembled. Ha! I'll bet to get the reaction DRT something nicked the spine. Anyway, congratulations on your son getting an elk.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:31 pm 

HAWKEYESATX wrote:
TackDriver284 wrote:
HAWKEYESATX wrote:

You're talking about muzzle energy. Not distances like 500 yds and up where the 7mm bullet has a distinct advantage in BC, and SD, not to mention bullet drop.

Sadly I disagree with you, even the .300 Magnum loaded up with the high BC bullets will outclass and reach further than a .280 Remington even if you used a high BC bullet. The 280 Remington does not have the speed to push a high BC pill as far as a 7mm Magnum or a 300 Magnum, limiting the 280's energy / drop at long distances. Ballistic charts, with the 280 Rem and 300 Magnum side by side shows the 300 Winny as the winner. The 280 is indeed a good cartridge, but the 300 Magnum common sense wise is a better choice than the 280 at long distances over 500 yards unless you use a faster 7mm bullet.

I am not here to argue or burst anyone 's bubble, but its OK to disagree with someone. :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:11 pm 

Off topic a bit but if you compare the Hornady 180 ELD with a .797 BC started at around 2750 (doable from a correctly set up 280) to a 225 ELD with a .777 BC launched from a 300 Win at 2850 it’s pretty interesting to see the little 280 keep pace... just food for thought..

The 300’s really get into their groove with the heavies.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:02 pm 

SJB358 wrote:
Off topic a bit but if you compare the Hornady 180 ELD with a .797 BC started at around 2750 (doable from a correctly set up 280) to a 225 ELD with a .777 BC launched from a 300 Win at 2850 it’s pretty interesting to see the little 280 keep pace... just food for thought..

Thank you SJB358

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:35 pm 

SJB358 wrote:

I think that’s where guys get in trouble on elk.... when simply looking at “energy” numbers. I’d never shoot an elk with that bullet. Energy doesn’t mean squat when the projectile isn’t up to the task.

160 Accubond vs. 180/200 grain Accubond is a good comparison if we’re talking elk bullets outta the 7mm vs. .300...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:52 pm 

Having never messed around with a 6.5 before, I tested the waters this past January. I previously had really only shot paper and deer with a 270win, and a 7x57 but I just wanted another hunting rifle.
I only waded about knee deep in the 6.5 waters when I bought a Mossberg Patriot Predator in the 6.5 Creedmoor. Honestly I really didn't buy into the hype so much as I wanted to own a rifle chambered for the most popular chambering this century. I feel that love or hate the creedmoor is basically a modern day 30-06 or 270 or 308, not in performance but in rising to popularity and being chambered by every manufacturer.

At any rate, I invested very little in the gun scope dies and spent more money for a wide variety of bullets from every manufacturer. I already had most of the powders I needed since im shooting the 7x57. Ive currently put 248 rounds down the barrel. I enjoy shooting it, and honestly I shoot it fairly well.

I don't see the reason to hate it, but to each their own. I like mine and for killing WV whitetails I'm sure it will fit the bill.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:58 pm 

It's probably a whole different wheelhouse here in the cornfields of Indiana where 300 yards is an EXTREMELY long shot, no matter who you are. The ones I've heard chatting on it wouldn't know 300 yards if it bit them in the hindquarters to get their attention and held up a sign.

Yep, HERE the hype is out of hand and in a bad way. Too many think the ability to shoot those SUPER long, SUPER heavy for caliber, SUPER high BC bullets "flatter" than many.........somehow equates to NO trajectory out to 300 yard. Uhhhhhhhhhh...nope. Shooting those heavy bullets just do not make for any kind of FLAT......UNLESS your shooting ranges WAAAAAYYYY past what we have here.

Yes, there are some good lighter bullets but the locals have their heads wrapped around all those high BC numbers, they don't hand load and they buy one. Bingo, presto........they get hit with reality, and yet another 6.5 CM is up for sale.

Admit it or not, the CM was DESIGNED FOR long range TARGET shooting and the long range Andy Oakleys decided to hunt with it to. Work? Yep.....a good one for long range for sure. Others are too. Pick your poison. Put a properly built bullet in the boiler room and they will fall. A "better" normal range round for deer.......it is not. The heavy weight, high SD bullets are pointless and impact velocities and trajectory a our ranges.....suffer. Work? Oh yeah. Superior for our hunting? Not even.

Try to convert it TO a normal range round and shoot bullet weights more geared for deer and you'll have one HECK of a jump to reach the lands. I'm talking HUGE.....almost ala' Weatherby jumps. I did see PT&G has a reamer for a whole bunch less freebore that would be a huge help IMHO, if one wanted to do so...........but would he still be shooting a CM? hmmm Stick a long COAL factory round in there (if it would go at all) and eek!

Yep. I'm an ol' fuddy duddy but change the body taper to something more sensible for fast bolt work, neck it down to .257..........OR up to 6.8, heck.......I might even want one.

First time I saw a CM case........I saw that 110 grain 6.8mm Accubond flashing before my eyes, but the higher SD of a 100 grain 257 popped in there too. That 90 grain GMX bullet would be a SCREAMER out of a wildcatted one........and not beat this old man up a lick. The BC is "ugh" but check it all on trajectory calculators with one pushed FAST. Hmmmmmm.

Throw in the fact that one can purchase, large rifle primer versions, small rifle primer versions with metric flash holes, small rifle primer version with US flash holes...........HOT DANG, I could have months and months of "testing fun".

So I'm weird, lol. I HAVE noticed though that while it varies like all sales, there SEEMS to be more and more used CM rifles on GB......not that I look often. :wink:

Bottom line.......works great for some, works ok for some........and UGH, for some......just like any other round.

NO one round is king for all the possible uses. Thank God!

God Bless

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:40 am 

Songdog wrote:
SJB358 wrote:

I think that’s where guys get in trouble on elk.... when simply looking at “energy” numbers. I’d never shoot an elk with that bullet. Energy doesn’t mean squat when the projectile isn’t up to the task.

160 Accubond vs. 180/200 grain Accubond is a good comparison if we’re talking elk bullets outta the 7mm vs. .300...

Couldn't agree more. I'll take the AB's or even the longer, heavier Partitions and make out just fine for my limits on shots..

I'll even add the .264 140 Accubond into the mix on your above bullets and there still isn't a whole lotta difference between them out to normal hunting ranges.

350JR, whats the difference in trajectory between a 30-06 with a plain old 180 at 2750 and a 6.5 whatever launching a 140 at the same speed? I know there is "flatter" shooting cartridges in both examples, but out to 300 yards with a decent zero should be a chip shot for me folks using just about anything these days.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:03 am 

Probably nothing. Both are shooting bullets with a SD (and therefore bullet weight) WAY more than any POSSIBLE shot requirement for a deer to 300 yards. Work? Sure...... would either be my choice? Hardly..maybe for elk if I was ever blessed enough to be able to hunt them once more.

Keep in mind the mentioned "chip shots" taken here for deer are off hand shots, taken with maybe 10 - 15 seconds to git r done......or not.

While I set up with some kind of rest and do so at a greater distance due to some physical barriers I must hurdle.........the majority are sitting in tree stands and the deer can be anywhere and come from anywhere. My own decades of hunting them that way made that perfectly clear. Whatever one THINKS is going to happen is hardly ever the case. These deer are running to.......or from something, about 80-90 percent of the time. They get hunted HARD opening weekend.

During opening weekend, depend on them coming in a little faster than one would prefer and about 60 percent of the bucks taken are within those two days. About 80 percent never pose for a shot and are moving targets.

Longer range shots like I set up for one has a little more time but its not measured in minutes normally and don't happen until late, late, late in the season and are also normally within the first or last hours of shooting time. Everything seen in range during daylight is almost always busting across the field at warp speed.

Literally all legal calibers would work fine but I simply do not see any sense in shooting heavy for caliber bullets for these ranges. An SD of .205 will penetrate stem to stern at 2500 fps or so.......been there done that and that was with an impact of the also fore mentioned "quartering to" shot with the shoulder the impact point. The bullet was under the skin on the off hip.

Nothing wrong with the CM. Just saying the hype has blown it way out of proportion. YMMV.
Just an opinion. I'm not disrespecting any round mentioned.

Im not saying slow, heavy bullets dont WORK. They were my go to in a black powder gun. Just arent my choice for a centerfire and longer ranges.

God Bless

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:54 am 

Anyone who uses SD as a means for predicting penetration is severely confused these days.... it means less than nothing. Sectional density, as it relates to penetration, is only valid when talking solids.... as any expanding bullet has a rapidly changing SD as soon as it hits fur.

Saying the Creed is worthless because a guy isn’t shooting “long range”.... is absolutely asinine. There are many excellent factory loads using 100-127 grain hunting bullets. “Jump to the lands”? Who cares.... what matters is how they shoot... I’ve yet to see a bad Creed factory load.

For 300 yard deer hunting... I’d take the Creed over cartridges like the .243, .257 Roberts, 7x57, .308, etc... it simply delivers more, for less, than any of those rounds.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4 Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next