25-06....educate me please!

35 Whelen":j4ufclxu said:
Lol,
Well we have been very fortunate, that being a commercial pilot: Has taken us into some great hunting country over the years Scotty! Dahl Sheep are not hard to kill at all. A .243W works great on them. I shot some with my old 6.5x55 years ago and it worked fine as well. Both .270/25-06 will knock the
snot right out of them. (y)
Everyone wanted to bring 7mm RM/ 300WM up to Alaska to hunt them because they were scared of bears...........
About all that accomplished was lugging around an extra 2lbs up the mountain and trying to take much longer shots than they were capable in making.....
I had lots of hunters tell me they could make 5/700 yd shots that would try a shot and I would see smoke from a rock 50, feet from the animal..... :x
A .243 or 6mm would do fine out to 350yds. The 25/06 will work great out to 500. Even 600 with good shot placement. Jmho.
E
Here is a 38" Ram with a 30" tip to tip spread. Thats considered very wide for a Brooks Range Ram.

That is a Beautiful Sheep. Very Nice.

Slimfinn":1edmtmpt said:
So when you first posted this I didn't realize it comes with a 24" barrel with the 1:9 twistAll that weighing in at 5.75# all of the sudden I am getting very interested.
So did you end up buying it?

I did not...still involved in trying to move so I gave it a pass.

SJB358":16jcfcvn said:
You definitely have the hunting time with the 25-06 that many others will never get buddy!

I sure do Scotty, though unfortunately, not this season. However, the .25-06 has never ever failed me apart from one stag that ran so far through the thick planting of trees, we didn't find it until by accident some weeks later.
That was a bugger, it was a really nice stag chewed to bits by fox's, buzzards, crows & other stuff.

The shot was good though with the AccuBond striking low lung area, reckon it ran for nearly half a mile. But it was at a time when the stag was in full rutting mode, so it's energy level would have been very high.

Slimfinn":yz2j0ypq said:
hodgeman":yz2j0ypq said:
I've long considered myself a dedicated gun crank, but don't have much experience with the 25 cals except for a brief whirl with a .257WBY.

Local hook and bullet has a Barrett Fieldcraft in 25-06 that feels just fantastic and has a 1:9 twist. Frankly, if it were an 06 or .270...I'd have bought it straight out.

I know we've got some 25-06 fans hanging out here, please educate me!

So when you first posted this I didn't realize it comes with a 24" barrel with the 1:9 twist
All that weighing in at 5.75# all of the sudden I am getting very interested.
So did you end up buying it?

Just saw the thread. I was going to ask the same question, but you beat me to it.
My favorite deer rifles are 270W. But have always had this returning urge to try a 25-06.
Now, while I don't have much interest in a rifle that light,
A 1:9 twist 25-06 always seems to spark an interest although I haven't acted on it, yet.

However, I've my antenna up for a used Rem M700 donner.
Shilen offers 1:9 twist 0.257 barrel cut to length pre-turned to profile for $235 and I get very inexpensive GSing.

Ditto on the slow twist Ray.
However when my barrel is toast
On my 25/06 I am replacing it with
A 6.5 barrel to have the huge bullet
Selection available to them! The 6.5/06
Is really unbeatable all things considered
Really a shame Savage or Ruger hasnt offered
It in the 110 or an American??

Well... Really doubt that a 25-06 or a 6.5-06 would do anything my 270s can't do,
but sometimes you just have to scratch an itch. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

True! But a handloader certainly can get " dreamie"
with all the cool bullets available for the .264 over 257....... Ditto for .284 vs .277.
And your right about the itch!
Scotty talked me into a slow twist 22/250 to shoot
85 gr bullets and that really wakes a 22/250 up for
Long Range stuff in the WIND.

Just pulled mine out of the Boyds" all in one" laminate, dropped it back into it's factory composite. Removed the
4x18 FFP tactical I use for winter coyote. Replaced it with
A Ziess Conquest with Z600 reticle. Weighes 7lbs 11oz.
It's ready for deer season!IMG_20200314_180247685.jpg

That's a slick looking 2506 right there. I love the 2506. Put thousands of rounds through a few over the years. Dont own one theee days because there is better ballistics to be had in both 6mm and 6.5mm these days that they aren't even comparable. But, it's what ultimately got me started into the LR game over 20 years ago. I've killed a few coyotes and deer with it out to 600 yards and they're all bang flop if you did your part with the 115g NBT at 3200fps

Well the 6mm/6.5's are in the cabinet as well but for Deer out to 500yds. I am staying with the 25/06 with Speer 120gr bullets, to remain at the top of my list.IMG_20200316_064241392.jpg
Here the alignment with 120 Speers/ 60grs RL25.@ 200yds IMG_20200316_144038488.jpg

Back