New Production Remington 700 CDL

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
After doing a good bit of research on the new Remington QC improvements, and being very impressed with what they are doing. I ordered a new production 700 CDL in 7mm Rem Mag. I should have it in my hands this weekend.

It has a 26” barrel with 1:8 5r hammer forged barrel that’s stress relieved after the hammer forging. Satin AA Grade walnut stock and blueing, ebony forend with jeweled bolt. I’m looking forward to getting it and seeing how it shoots.

I love the things stated in the podcasts from Ken D’Arcy, the head honcho at RemArms.

They scrapped the old steel previously used and went with a higher grade steel for receivers and barrels. More difficult to machine but higher quality receivers, bolts, and barrels. The barrels are hammer forged with 5r rifling, updated twist rates, and stress relieved. Chambers are now 100% CNC cut to within .0002”, no hand finishing the chambers any more. Bolt face to breech tolerances are kept to .0002” as well. Bolt lug to receiver tolerances are kept to .0003”. The thread tolerances for mating barrel to the receiver is greatly reduced as well but I dont recall the exact number. He said tolerances were such that bolts from one new production 700 can be interchanged with another rifle, and as long as they have the same bolt face diameter headspace would be correct. That’s quite a statement. The recoil lug is also machined to within .0002” of being perfectly flat. Fit and finish has been refined as well. Yes the tolerances are in tenths of a thousand. Not a typo.

The thing that impressed me most was one statement. He said “It’s ok to build a budget rifle if that’s what your company does. Do it and do it well. We aren’t interested in making the model 700 a budget rifle. It’s an icon, quality and performance will match.“ I like that. I like that a lot.

I hope he wasn’t blowing smoke in the podcasts. I’ll know soon enough.

I’ll post a lot of pictures when I get it, along with how it shoots. From what I heard on the podcasts I’m expecting a high quality rifle deserving the Remington Model 700 name that’s stamped in the receiver.

Last edited:
Sounds really good. Will be watching this with interest, hope they come through with a high quality rifle. Sounds like they are serious about making them well.
I hope so. I’m guardedly optimistic.
From what they said it seems they mean business. They had a group of writers at a conference to test the new Alpha 1 and to a man, they all had nothing but praise for Remingtons accomplishment.

Congrats on the new rifle.
Sounds like it's going to be a nice rig.
What glass are you going to go with?

JD338
I’ve got Talley solid rings and a Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14x42 to begin with. Probably stick with the rings as I really like Talleys solids. Im looking at the Burris Veracity PH 4x20x50. I may go with a smaller objective. I dont usually like really large diameter glass.

I’ve got Talley solid rings and a Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14x42 to begin with. Probably stick with the rings as I really like Talleys solids. Im looking at the Burris Veracity PH 4x20x50. I may go with a smaller objective. I dont usually like really large diameter glass.
I like the VX-3HD 3.5x10x40 with Firedot reticle as well. It’ll likely be Burris or Leupold.

Those FF II's are solid scopes. I bought a Signature HD 3-15x44 you might wish to look at them too. Those Veracity's are really nice too and I strongly considered one. They make a great product so whatever you decide will be a good choice.

I’m certainly looking forward to actually receiving it, but must admit buying a rifle like this (ordering) makes me miss times past.

Those late summer days when you start getting “the itch”. My dad and I would take a day and hit our favorite shops and stores to find our gun. Back when shops had merchandise in stock.
We’d hold the rifles or shotguns. Admire or dismiss the grain of the wood. Shoulder it and feel the fit, feel the trigger break. Maybe haggle on price a bit for one that really caught your eye. Then swap a few stories with the gentlemen behind the counter as they got everything put together for your new baby’s trip home.

I miss the entertainment of finding and bringing home that shotgun or rifle I’d saved a year for. The time with daddy. The stories told. Friends that always seemed be made. To be honest I suppose I romanticize it a good bit, but ordering from podcast information and stock photos makes me miss times gone by.

⬆️ This the 1:8 is way overdue for the 7mm Rem Mag
I agree. Granted the 1:8 barrel on one of my other 7mm’s is aftermarket, but so far it shoots all 140-180 grain bullets I’ve tried very well. I don’t feel I’m restricted to heavy bullets in the tighter twist. I do like knowing that it shoots heavy high BC bullets well. A 1:8 twist adds heavy bullet versatility without sacrificing light bullet accuracy.

I agree. Granted the 1:8 barrel on one of my other 7mm’s is aftermarket, but so far it shoots all 140-180 grain bullets I’ve tried very well. I don’t feel I’m restricted to heavy bullets in the tighter twist. I do like knowing that it shoots heavy high BC bullets well. A 1:8 twist adds heavy bullet versatility without sacrificing light bullet accuracy.
There are no downsides on the faster twist. A 1 in 8 twist 7mm RM should be able to beat the 7 PRC since it has more case capacity.

Nice to see Remington finally has owners who appear to care unlike the previous owners. Wish them all the best!

Man that all sounds good! I hope it's accurate both for your sake as well as an iconic American company. It was a shame to see them deteriorate into being known for not being able to trust both their craftsmanship or their quality control. I'm was never a 700 follower per say although there was certainly periods they put out really good rifles in their price range, but I would absolutely love to see them be known for excellence. Do that and I might quickly become one.

Man it’s great to hear that team green is finally getting their act back together! I’ve got my fingers crossed that the the rifle can live up to the hype and look forward to your posts!
V/R,
Joe

Back