150g ssts finally shoot

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
I was able to test a few more loads today with rl22 and h4831sc with 150g ssts and my rem 700 270 win. rl22 is being a pain in the butt. I cant find a sweet spot for anything. Have tried 53g-57.5g, best is 1.5" at 100 yards. 55.5g h4831sc shot a decent .65" group at 100 yards. If I go up or down .2g accuracy is doubled. Very very small sweet spot. I need to find it with Rl22 as I still have a full pound of it, and none of the 4831sc left. Funny how that usually works out huh? I have been using mag primers in my 270 only for the fact I"m to cheap to go buy large rifle primers. Were completely out of large rifle, and we had a little fed 215's and cci 250's, so thats what I've been working with. I am thinking about trying a cci 200, cci br2, or fed 210 large rifle with Rl22 and see if that will help my groups any. Have seen by many where a primer switch made all the difference in the world. If not oh well, at least I finally got the 150g ssts to shoot with something, I know it could be done.
242szgz.jpg

It's funny that someone else is having a problem similar to mine.My 270WSM just hate those 150gr SST bullets,but shoots under 2 inches at 400 yds with 5 shots with 140gr and 150gr Ballistic Tips.I normally,take a max load and reduce it by 0.3gr load up a round,reduce it again by 0.3 gr,do the same until i have 10 rounds loaded up.Then i head to the range,put my target at least at 300 yds(pick a calm day)and start shooting from my min load to my maximum,using the same point of aim every time,but i give it 1 min break in between shots in order not to unduly heat up the barrel.I mark every round fired on the target and after everything is done,you should have a pattern or a cluster of shots together.For example:the 7th 8th and 9th shot are together or pretty close and the 3rd 4th and 6th are together with the 5th away.It means the 7th 8th and the 9th have a more consistant pattern and that's the one i would choose.I,then load up 3 or 5 rounds with the same powder charge as the 7th 8th and 9th round and see what it will do.Most of the time those 3 different groups will print close and tight together.If accuracy is still not what you hoped for,then adjust the COL .It helps to keep them as long as possible to begin with ,as you only have to reduce the COL .It really worked for me when i test my rifles for long range shooting and that's the only way for me right now and it works like a charm.It is fast and efficient.Try it and you will see it is much easier and not as time consuming .I use at least 300 yds as it tells me more about the accuracy potential of my gun and bullet combo for long range shooting than 100 yds would.

Boy's
I had a heck of a time getting the IB to shoot.Found a good load but performance on game was dismall at best.Going back to the Partition and will never stray again.Just wish I could find some seconds up here.

Back