2016 Hunting Pictures

thank you Dr Mike . yes , I've been very fortunate these past two hunting seasons , I am humbled . I have the bobcat at a taxidermist . I'm just not sure what I want to do with it . I was thinking I want a rug , but they are a small animal and I'm not sure if it will look good . I've seen coyote rugs , to me they look great . I think the bobcat is a very neat animal . I've watched them during past archery seasons .

Awesome animals Jim. That PA buck is a truly nice deer. Congrats on a great season.

Yesterday morning, my buddy Allan and I went out for the opener of KY's late muzzleloader season. We had already tagged a buck each during rifle season, and so we were on doe patrol. Weather was quite frosty, about 18 when we left the house. Once the sun came up, we had deer everywhere. Allan watched a nice buck chasing does near his stand for 20 minutes before finally shooting one. I had several groups of does come by, and ended up killing two within 5 minutes of each other. It's not often that you're done deer hunting by 8:45 am, but that's the kind of day it was.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 4,958
bdbrown66":d8btfeac said:
Yesterday morning, my buddy Allan and I went out for the opener of KY's late muzzleloader season. We had already tagged a buck each during rifle season, and so we were on doe patrol. Weather was quite frosty, about 18 when we left the house. Once the sun came up, we had deer everywhere. Allan watched a nice buck chasing does near his stand for 20 minutes before finally shooting one. I had several groups of does come by, and ended up killing two within 5 minutes of each other. It's not often that you're done deer hunting by 8:45 am, but that's the kind of day it was.

Congratulations to you and your partner! Fine dining for each of you. It is always a joy when the hunt ends with success.

Broke the ice that has been following me for a few years. It seemed like everything I did something didn’t work out. From past experience, I believe in cycles when hunting, where sometimes everything you do works out. Then like the past few years, where nothing works out. I haven’t hunted as hard as I used to but still get out a bit. I have been hunting state land for a few years after losing my private property due to the owners death. I hunted this state land on and off for close to 30 years. This week I had a small 4 just about run me over when he came from an angle where I could not see him in the thicket from behind some trees. After the head bob, and stomp of his foot, he turned and went the same way he came. The last 2 nights, I had a group of does come in close to last light along with a small spike. So on the last day of the 6 day season, I had set up at about 1:30 on the ground overlooking an area in a thicket where they stage waiting for darkness. At about 3:30 I heard something behind me, then at about 7 yards, I see a button buck work his way past me going down below me. When he gets about 30 yards, I see movement on the other side of me. A deer comes out of the thicket and meets the small button at 30 yards. A bruiser. An older deer, large bodied with a decent rack. I get on him with a Knight muzzleloader, and wait for the right angle. At the shot, the big guy jumped and turned then ran back to the bedding area he came from. That area is the thickest stuff and difficult to get through. I had tracked a few in there during past archery seasons. I found him about 80 yards away, but in that thick stuff. Now it’s close to 4 o’clock and I’m concerned about trying to get him out before it gets dark. I have no help and it’s going to be some work to get him out to a trail. I had to drag him about 20-30 yards at a time then move my gear to the next spot, then drag him there. He was a big guy and it was difficult trying to get through the thick stuff. I’m not 20 or 30 anymore, closer to 60 and I’m getting too old to do this by myself. I finely get him to one of the main trails and leave him about 15 yards off the trail. Then I went to my truck to get rid of some clothing and change boots and get the deer cart. Well most of that distance was uphill to the parking area. I have done it in the past but it’s probably been over 8 years since I had done it, and I was draggin. I walk/hike at least several days a week doing several miles each day but not like I am training for an elk hunt with a weighted pack. After going back loading him on the cart and trying to bring him out, I had to stop every 30 yards or so to take a break due the hill. It was dark but at least I was on a trail. He wound up being a nice 8 and was the best I had ever shot in that area. I’m going to have to change areas or have someone else to available to help. My buddy was at the Army Navy game and my son was working, but they would have come out if they were home. Hopefully the start of a new cycle.

Attachments

• 12.10.16 SR Buck a (3).jpg
    12.10.16 SR Buck a (3).jpg
    95 KB · Views: 4,946
  • 12.10.16 SR buck d.jpg
    12.10.16 SR buck d.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 4,946
Congratulations, Bill. That is a lovely buck, for sure. I do understand growing old and how what used to be nothing is now something when it comes to getting back to the truck. Then, there is the loading itself. I've picked up many deer and bears and lifted them bodily into the bed. That doesn't happen as often anymore. It sounds to me as if you did a good job, though. Great buck. Again, congratulations.

thanks again fellas for the comments !

keep the pics coming , lots of nice animals showing up on here .

Rodger , I'm using my Tikka model 595 , in 7mm-08 . shooting hornady 139 BTSP . it's nothing special . I put the cheek piece on it . it has a Leupold VX6 in 2-12 , awesome scope .

Congrats on the buck Bill. Awesome story.

Jim, that old 7-08 sure has a pile of bucks to its credit!

Jim,

Congratulations on a great season and a couple of dandy bucks.
Nice Bobcat too. It will make a great mount.

JD338

thanks JD . the bobcat is laying just as I walked up to it . the dirt skid mark, behind it's tail, is where the bullet hit the ground .

you bet it does Scotty . there's a lot to be said for an easy to shoot rifle .

Good to see our eastern friends bringing down the deer and a bonus bobcat, congrats to all.

Congrats on the Buck Bill. I know what you mean about getting them out by yourself since I had a mile to drag mine out this year by my lonesome but I've learned to take my time and not try to rush it since I'm not the young buck I once was. I must say that getting old isn't for cowards and as long as I can walk I'll keep on hunting.

Jim I've driven a truck all over that part of PA and have been in Philipsburg numerous times.

I thought this season was going to leave me skunked with the exception of a couple doe. My mule deer hunt did not go well with high winds the whole feakin time. Yeah I know.......... complain, complain, complain.......:>)

Got an invite to hunt a buddy's little lease on the Red River close to the Panhandle. I thought I was done with younger bucks but this guy was chasing a doe and I thought he had 20" on the inside. The area I was hunting consists of a bunch of separate little leases so there is no management there. In other words if I did not shoot him some other arsehole would........... :>)

No good shot with me in it, all I had was my cell phone and could only get part of the buck in that pic. That is probably a good thing I'm not in the pic?
DSCN5592.jpg

Thanks on the comments. Congrats to others who have also shared pic's and stories. That's what it should be about. Sharing with others who may not get a chance to get out and enjoy the outdoors. I remember as a teenager reading years worth of old Pennsylvania Game News and enjoying the stories. Then when I got older, getting the opportunity to enjoy and share also. Congrats and good luck to all

c. schutte":1n1pzk7h said:
Thanks Scotty,

Another PT success with a .270 win. Got a doe on this trip too...................

Like there was ever a doubt :twisted:

c. schutte":3cn6sum4 said:
I thought this season was going to leave me skunked with the exception of a couple doe. My mule deer hunt did not go well with high winds the whole feakin time. Yeah I know.......... complain, complain, complain.......:>)

Got an invite to hunt a buddy's little lease on the Red River close to the Panhandle. I thought I was done with younger bucks but this guy was chasing a doe and I thought he had 20" on the inside. The area I was hunting consists of a bunch of separate little leases so there is no management there. In other words if I did not shoot him some other arsehole would........... :>)

No good shot with me in it, all I had was my cell phone and could only get part of the buck in that pic. That is probably a good thing I'm not in the pic?
DSCN5592.jpg

I like the fact that you saved the hoof and the head, Charles. :? Maybe it'll make a hat rack. I generally like to have a bit more meat on what I take home, however. :lol:

DrMike":3vkhn0j3 said:
c. schutte":3vkhn0j3 said:

DSCN5592.jpg

I like the fact that you saved the hoof and the head, Charles. :? Maybe it'll make a hat rack. I generally like to have a bit more meat on what I take home, however. :lol:

Doc,

Elk we have, aoudad too. No moose though.....................

Back