2018 Hunting Pictures

This year was pretty tough hunting due to warm weather. Typically we hunt late and have snow to push the elk into the areas where we hunt. This year it was in the 60's and 70's until the very end of the season for our second tags. We put a sneak on a small 5 point bull a 4 days before the end of the season but they ended up winding us before my buddy from AK could get on him. The second to the last day I spotted the spike I shot riding in to where we glass from. After we got him all loaded up it started snowing and it looked like there were elk on the move based on the number of tracks we saw while riding around. The next morning we headed to our glassing spot and cut fresh tracks a couple different times on the way. We stopped a couple times to glass and spotted a small group of cows first followed by a larger group with the 2 spikes my buddies killed. They ended up getting around behind us when they split from most of the cows and almost made it to the timber before we spotted them. Luckily they were above the road as well and we got to load both of them in the back of the UTV whole.

Attachments

• My spike 2018.jpg
    My spike 2018.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 4,579
  • Brian and CQ's spikes.jpg
    Brian and CQ's spikes.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 4,579
  • Spike camp 2018.jpg
    Spike camp 2018.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 4,579
Good show! That is great. The picture of the three successful hunters is excellent. Congratulations to you all. If there weren't some challenges, it wouldn't be hunting. However, you faced up to the challenge and overcame. That is great.

this hunting season has been full of ups , and downs , for me .

last week I was deer hunting in N.Carolina .

shot this 7 point Sunday evening.

PB040008.JPG

shot this doe Monday about 1:45. it was 79* outside , so I ran her back to the lodge , got her quartered up , and in the fridge .
PB060010.JPG

shot this 7 point Monday evening .
PB060014.JPG

hunted Tuesday , and Wednesday , never saw a deer . Thursday evening right at the end of legal shooting time I got my second doe . I was tagged out . I didn't think to get a pic of my second doe .

a pic of turkeys that came in for awhile ,on the one of the slow days .

View attachment 3

Attachments

• PB070017.JPG
    PB070017.JPG
    726.1 KB · Views: 4,565
Excellent report, Jim. However, that doe has antlers! :shock: That is different. :mrgreen: Congratulations on a successful hunt.

DrMike":2f9b4lde said:
Excellent report, Jim. However, that doe has antlers! :shock: That is different. :mrgreen: Congratulations on a successful hunt.

I still have one to many pics of the one 7 point . my first try they were all the same pic . LOL

It's all good. I just had to razz you a bit. It looks to have been a great hunt, and I am so pleased you had that opportunity. Again, congratulations on what can only be described as a great hunt.

thanks guys , I got turned on to this guy by another member Tom . Tom spoke highly of him so I gave him a try . I've hunted there I'll guess the past 10 years . I've always had a great time . some years are way more productive than others , but that's hunting . last year I never saw a buck , I came home with 2 doe . this is probably my last hunt there . he is making a lot of changes that probably won't work out to well for me . I had a deposit there is how I got to hunt this year . I was the only guy at the lodge , and the only hunter for the season . so this year I was pretty much on my own to do as I pleased . I could hunt any plot of ground , and any stand I chose which made it nice in a way . I'll miss the place with it's , great hunting ,and nice people .

Dr Mike , I enjoy a good natured ribbing .

Great pictures Jim! Sorry to hear about the place, I know you all used it as a good retreat.

I broke in the Montana Rifle Company 300 WSM yesterday morning with this small eight point.

DSCN0363.JPG

DSCN0364.JPG

The shot was about 120-150 yards up hill - slightly quartering toward me. I aimed for the heart and hit it. The bullet went in on the left front leg and out behind the right front shoulder. The deer ran about 30 yards with a blood trail that looked like it was made with a water sprinkler.

The bullet was a 165 gr. BT fired with a muzzle velocity of 3072 ft./sec. There were three broken ribs on the exit side.

I must say, I really like hunting with the 3 position wing safety. I think I will keep this rifle.... :grin:

Dan

NYDAN":2x3hxr3c said:
I broke in the Montana Rifle Company 300 WSM yesterday morning with this small eight point.

View attachment 1

The shot was about 120-150 yards up hill - slightly quartering toward me. I aimed for the heart and hit it. The bullet went in on the left front leg and out behind the right front shoulder. The deer ran about 30 yards with a blood trail that looked like it was made with a water sprinkler.

The bullet was a 165 gr. BT fired with a muzzle velocity of 3072 ft./sec. There were three broken ribs on the exit side.

I must say, I really like hunting with the 3 position wing safety. I think I will keep this rifle.... :grin:

Dan

NICE Dan! I am headed to NY on Wednesday to try my hand up there! Looking forward to getting out in the snow some! Congrats on connecting with your new 300! Seems like it left a positive mark!

Fine buck taken with a fine rifle. The 165 BT is just about right for the 300 WSM, it would seem. Congratulations.

Well done Dan. Love those Ballistic tips.
Looks like your snow got covered by freezing rain, yuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! A fine shot, good bullet performance, and a nice buck down. That's good stuff!

Ya, I'm a big believer in the 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip!

Guy

The new rifle I bought two weeks ago got its first kill on its first hunting trip this morning. Smaller 7 point at 129 yards the 150 interlock went through both shoulders and exited. Maybe ran 15 yards at the most.
136c252a080ee9fd8a90c4df97eb3f83.jpg

I took a week off of work to hunt our late buck season here in Eastern Washington. It was a rather tough week only seeing a handful of deer and no bucks until day 6. Day 6 I had a spike stroll through the clear cut at around noon but never offered a shot. A couple hours later this guy came out and stopped, quartering to me, at 165 yards. I put a 95 ballistic tip in his neck from my Ruger .243 win. Down he went! He is no monster by any means, but I am beyond thankful for some meat in the freezer.
0406152498dca9af01cd32339c410015.jpg

Fine bucks, both. They represent tenacity and determination. Good show to either of you men.

My favorite stories are those that follow days of work. Congratulations.

Back