2022 Hunting Pictures

I had a doe tag left and took a stroll out back this afternoon. Been snowing since yesterday morning so I figured the deer would be in the food plots early. Only sat about 15 minutes and I could see deer heading my way from the swamp. This big doe offered me a shot and I took it with the Nosler M21 375 H&H Mag. The Speer 270 gr SPBT did a great job putting her down quickly.

JD338
Congrats in the late season.

Had a late season doe tag, and used it this morning. I'll be working on the meat this afternoon.

Henry 30-30 with a 2.5x Leupold. Handloaded 160 grain Hornady FTX bullet. Steadied the rifle on a tripod and shot the doe at 170 yards. She was down almost instantly, shot through the lungs. The good little 30-30 cartridge did it again. :)

CKKDcY0h.jpg

Regards, Guy
I'm surprised that deer laid down for a 30-30 (kidding) you know they are "underpowered". Was kinda hoping to see the Glenfield though.... Congrats- glad you enjoyed the hunt. Should be excellent table fare> CL

My son's first whitetail buck first year hunting. Shot it 150yrds with his .243 using 95gr Nosler ballistic tips that I hand loaded... Saskatchewan, Canada View attachment 18524
Congratulations to your son for making a fine shot and tagging a great buck. Also, congratulations to his mentor, coach, and guide. That is a great first deer.

My son's first whitetail buck first year hunting. Shot it 150yrds with his .243 using 95gr Nosler ballistic tips that I hand loaded... Saskatchewan, Canada View attachment 18524

That's one heck of a 1'st buck! Congratulations to you both. Big deer way up North there and that one looks the part according to the picture. Any idea what it weighed?

Had a late season doe tag, and used it this morning. I'll be working on the meat this afternoon.

Henry 30-30 with a 2.5x Leupold. Handloaded 160 grain Hornady FTX bullet. Steadied the rifle on a tripod and shot the doe at 170 yards. She was down almost instantly, shot through the lungs. The good little 30-30 cartridge did it again. :)

CKKDcY0h.jpg

Regards, Guy

Congrats Guy! That's a pretty good poke for a 30-30. Way to go.

I had a doe tag left and took a stroll out back this afternoon. Been snowing since yesterday morning so I figured the deer would be in the food plots early. Only sat about 15 minutes and I could see deer heading my way from the swamp. This big doe offered me a shot and I took it with the Nosler M21 375 H&H Mag. The Speer 270 gr SPBT did a great job putting her down quickly.

JD338

Good job Jim. Way to stay after them. I think I know about when you shot that deer. My windows shook slightly here at the house on Saturday afternoon. :D

That's one heck of a 1'st buck! Congratulations to you both. Big deer way up North there and that one looks the part according to the picture. Any idea what it weighed?
Never got an actual weight but I can tell you I almost died trying to get it loaded into my truck with just the 2 of us. But heres a picture for reference, the smaller one is a young 3 year old buck and his is the big one 20221121_152601.jpg

Another one bites the dust. 200 yard shot with the 8x57 180gr barnes TSX @2780 fps. Dropped on the spot. I believe this buck to be a hybrid Mule/Whitetail. Our local area is known to produce these hybrids with mule deer and whitetails living in the same area. Whitetail features include the tail and ears, the hide color is a blend of mule deer/whitetail, forked mule deer style antlers.

8Yvkmej.jpg

KZ7wgkz.jpg
Shot a hybrid years ago with DrMike and another friend. Mule deer body and characteristics, but a whitetail rack.
Talking to the local biologist afterwards, he stated that the only way to visually verify a hybrid, is by the tarsal glands...a mulie has a 3" tarsal gland while a whitetail has a 5" tarsal gland. The tarsal gland on a hybrid will be 4" long. Thought that this was an interesting piece of trivia to share with you all.

My son asked for a deer to take back to his apartment in DC. I told him I would need his help and he obliged...
View attachment 18595View attachment 18596
WOW! Warm enough to be shirtless while dragging your game out of the bush! That's unimaginable for us here in the North. It does look as if your son has some good meat as a treat for himself and whoever he wants to impress. (y)

WOW! Warm enough to be shirtless while dragging your game out of the bush! That's unimaginable for us here in the North. It does look as if your son has some good meat as a treat for himself and whoever he wants to impress. (y)
A bit more context: First, it has been freezing down here in TN. Freezing! Yesterday morning it was 32 and I went out to shoot him a doe. The only deer sign I have seen have been a long walk from the truck. I asked him if he would be willing to help me by pulling any deer I shoot up the hills if I agreed to pull the deer down all the hills. He was good with that. The pic above doesn't come close to showing the pitch of the terrain. By the time he came and joined me it was in the 50's and a different kind of workout began. We were bushed at the end. Oh, and, it was odd to have a good buck come by this late in the season - but what a bonus.

B

Last edited:
Back